Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Don Stiernberg Interview

Hey friends! Don Stiernberg is one of the world’s great mandolin players. In this video, he chats about his music, career, and connection with the legendary Jethro Burns. Don also gives us some tips...
  2. Replies
    Views

Norman Blake is 86

I just read that Norman Blake turned 86 on 10th March, and I would like to wish him well.

I saw him play on my first trip to the USA in 1977, and have always enjoyed him ever since.

Thanks for...
  3. Re: Artist/Album Recommendations like Punch Brothers & Sierra Hul

Hawktail is as far from Bluegrass as you can get. I saw them again at Wintergrass a couple of weeks ago. Has Mr Sun been mentioned?
  4. Re: Advantages of solid base bridge vs feet bridges

Iron...
    Ideally, you'd use a two-footed bridge on an instrument with two longitudinal tone bars (like the F5/H5/A5) where you have a foot positioned over each tone bar. And you'd use a full-footed...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Best way NOT to learn mandolin with ADHD: “Practice something until you can play it x number of times without a mistake before moving on”

Best way to learn mandolin with ADHD: Think of three or...
  6. Replies
    Views

Simply Bluegrass - Full Episode 1

didn't see this posted yet, good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBmiOJ_pPs
  7. Del McCoury Birthday Story & Song, Billy Strings & Chris Thile -

good stuff from two of the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpFlwXojRY
  8. Thread: Jethro and friends

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro and friends

Decided to look for videos of Jethro playing with one of my favorite comedy/folk guitar pickers - Steve Goodman, and came across this video on Youtube. I see it hasn't been shared in here in a while...
  9. Chris Thile & Billy Strings Saturday Morning Sessions

My apologies if someone has already mentioned this on the board somewhere but I wanted to post a link as I just discovered it last night. Super excited to see this one. For those of you who have...
  10. Replies
    Views

the Brothers Reischman

Love the F4 John is pickin' on though it says 23 F5 in the intro credits

IGK8BwJahOI
  11. Mike Marshall's Incredible Bluegrass Journey

this is excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFPa3Db9t8E
  12. Re: How to practice: Play very slow | Tal Wilkenfeld and Lex F

Practicing slow is sometimes referred to as "perfect practice" . If we can't play slow and deliberate, we can never play fast. It isn't specific to any musical instrument, its a "rudiment"

I...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: chord trouble

Both things you describe are extremely difficult and not for beginniers.

If you do barré, it's not customary to play notes on the upper strings that are on lower frets. If you need that kind of...
  14. Re: Browns Ferry Blues-posted today, loaded with living icons

Yup, Strings introduces the band by name in the last verse. Usually, Schatz wears a hat.

That was an excellent run through the song, as you'd expect from that roster. However, I usually...
  15. Browns Ferry Blues-posted today, loaded with living icons

goodness, everybody on this are top shelf. Sam Bush playing mandolin and bass, quick glimpse of him holding a blonde mando(does he have a new axe?), Bela, Tony T, Michael on fiddle and as always is a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

The big recurring names are not only good but also prolific over a long period, so they have a body of work that can be judged for consistency etc.
    And perhaps a few whose instruments command good...
  17. Replies
    Views

Beato Interviews Bela!

Just saw a fantastic interview on YouTube last night - Rick Beato with Bela Fleck. What an amazing show... so much great information that would be of interest to any/every musician. Can't think of...
  18. Sharon Gilchrist playing Jerusalem Ridge on the Karasik Lloyd Loa

Sharon is such a good mandolin player, and an excellent teacher.

Interesting story about this mandolin i just read in the video info, first time i've heard about this, keep in mind i live under a...
  19. Thread: Arpeggios

by tmsweeney
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios

chord is 1-3-5 of the scale played simultaneously

arpeggio is 1-3-5 of the scale played in sequence

arpeggios always follow chord shapes and can be extended to 7th and adapted to minor and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

Here's another early morning video which I did after breakfast today.

It's an old Scottish air from the Simon Fraser Collection called Ruairi Dubh, also known as Roderick Dhu, the Clanalpin Chief....
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Lessons

Thanks for all the kind comments so far. I've released another video today and this time we take a look at finding our triad arpeggios in G,C and D and our pentatonics using the double stop shapes we...
  22. Sam Grisman Project w/Dominick Leslie Live at Zlock Performing Ar

Well worth the time to check this out. Awesome all the way around. Singing, Picking, and tune selection are superb. Some killer mandolin picking by Dominick Leslie and Ric Robertson....
  23. Replies
    Views

Mike Marshall and Sarah Jarosz

I always heard mandolin music was cool, and here that notion is affirmed

FX8vnFEGYEo
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Lessons

Alright, second video in this double stop series is up and running. We take the G major double stop shapes we learned in the first lesson and apply them to C and D.

GickuZACBPw
  25. Replies
    Views

Double Stop Lessons

Hello folks. It's been a while since I posted on Mandolin Cafe but I thought some of you would enjoy some of the free resources that I am sharing over on YouTube and my Patreon.

First video in my...
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4