Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

That would depend on the style and period of the music in question. For styles of mandolin that I play, tremolo expresses something even when used as a default technique - it expresses how long notes...
  2. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

I’ve noticed a lot of Italian mandolinists use |DDDD DDDD| and fast.
    It does affect the rhythm when the melody is ‘non-standard’ and there’s an urgent, agitated, staccato feel to the rhythm, (love...
  3. Thread: Ear Train

by des
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Train

I totally endorse what TX2Ak just said and wish I could have expressed it as concisely and courteously. I had been trying to frame a reply about singing but found it too difficult to express - as in...
  4. Re: John McGann transcriptions - Billie's Bounce and St. Thomas

There's a lot of good stuff to work on there. It will take me a lot of practice before I am able to put up any kind of half-way decent attempt.

Hope you don't mind, Perry, but I had to put them...
  5. John McGann transcriptions - Billie's Bounce and St. Thomas

I took some correspondence lessons form John way back when. I recently came across the original sheets he mailed me. They were done in pencil. I decided to re-scan them and share here. Some nice...
  6. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

I think both methods are OK for Gigues or Tarantellas.

Ultimately, you are quicker with pure DUD UDU DUD UDU, but you have to know to put the accent on the U when it has to be there.

So I do...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

Hmmm… Am I doing this wrong? I do own a capo for my guitars. I have never used it. It all started when I first started three years ago. Let me inject here that all of my learning has been self...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

I didn't see that question as trolling. If you come from a classical mandolin POV, there is no use of capos. She may have honestly not been aware.

Capo use is much more common in the folk...
  9. Re: Mandolin in Uncommon Music Genres: Your Thoughts and Discover

Here's some mandolin music from Iran by Onik, for an example of Uncommon genres:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47sMM9K4zYs

I really like the ornamentation, it is often similar to Persian...
  10. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Somehow I assume neither of you wants to play in a mandolin orchestra!

I'm curious, what styles of mandolin music are y'all playing?
  11. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Their progress was not hindered by learning to read music and tab. Their progress was hindered by not listening and paying attention.
  12. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Based on....? I can see that as being potentially applicable to TAB, as it typically just shows this-fret-on-this-string. In reality, we all know about different positions on the fret/finger...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions on fingering for this part?

Not that it is a terrible thing to have TAB but most of the Bach repertoire is available for free download from sites such as IMSLP.org. If you can read notation you are at an advantage for a couple...
  14. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

You should be able to read music without moving your lips. :grin:

I didn't see that option in the poll.
  15. Thread: Circle of 5ths

by David L
    Replies
    Views

Re: Circle of 5ths

1st course to 2nd course is E5 to A4, which is a descending FIFTH, not a fourth. Octaves matter!
  16. Thread: Circle of 5ths

by David L
    Replies
    Views

Re: Circle of 5ths

A - D - G - C should be called a circle of fifths progression because each chord functions as the fifth (dominant) of the next chord. Am - Dm - G - C is a diatonic (within the key) circle of fifths...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing a song

As a performing orchestral musician, I find this attitude very condescending. Orchestras can make wonderful music with everyone reading charts. Many big band and jazz groups also use charts while...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand position

A minority of us never use a strap when playing mandolin, sitting or standing, including bowlbacks.

Even then, the left hand merely supplies a small part of the support that also comes from the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Transposing tunes composed for horns

One of the main things that make the mandolin the greatest instrument in the world is it's symmetrical layout. By virtue of being tuned in fifths, patterns are consistent up, down and all around the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Transposing tunes composed for horns

A friend of mine always says "there are no hard keys, just unfamiliar ones". He's right. If you spend time in a key, you will get comfortable there.
  21. Thread: Left hand

by Gelsenbury
    Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand

I'm obviously not getting it. What's unusual about how she holds the mandolin?
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Want to learn Jazz mandolin

First, I somewhat agree with your concept of leaving the rhythm section work to the rhythm section - I tend to use a mandolin in jazz more like a sax, clarinet or violin than a piano or...
  23. Hi. Thought I’d answer a few questions. Roger is...

Hi. Thought I’d answer a few questions. Roger is probably on tour.

Tuning: Roger tuned the instrument G/D/G/D for these tunes. We made a special set up to accommodate tuning down the top two...
  24. Re: Why old time and bluegrass are not the same.

When did evolution give us this instinctive need to categorize everything?

If bluegrass is "stage music" -- which maybe is how it started, but not really all it is now -- and old-time is "communal...
  25. Re: When does Mandolin sound better than Violin?

when the mandolin player is a lot better than the fiddler
Page 1 of 2 1 2