Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Wohlfahrt: Studies for the Violin, Op. 45

Thanks for posting this. Nicely played and an inspiration to me. Am just starting on the mandolin (50 years of guitaring) and expect to mostly play for my own pleasure. Classical rep such as this is...
  2. Re: Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi James,

Oliver developed this pickup specifically for this mandolin and I'm thrilled with the results. It's the first amplified mandolin I've heard that has the sound I've been looking for. ...
  3. Re: Info: about Irish online Academy mando & octave mando courses

I have been using the Online Academy of Irish Music for several months now and have worked through the bouzouki classes, a tenor banjo class, and have begun to learn tinwhistle. Previously, I had...
  4. Re: Mandolin sheet music in standard notation only: where is it?

A number of baroque pieces are inscribed with some variation of "For violin, flute, oboe, or other treble instrument." Almost anything written for these instruments during the baroque era is...
  5. Re: Mandolin sheet music in standard notation only: where is it?

https://www.guitarfreescores.com/mandolin.php

https://www.free-scores.com/free-sheet-music.php?instrument_ID=6040&CATEGORIE=50

http://www.federmandolino.it/wp/spartiti-music-scores/
  6. Re: Bourgeois Guitars getting into the mandolin business?

It goes back a little farther.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/147011-Bourgeois-Guitars-Partners-with-Eastman
  7. Re: Finding a teacher when you have very specific musical interes

I've attended a CMSA gathering and there are many players from the Bay area.
  8. Re: Finding a teacher when you have very specific musical interes

The Classical Mandolin Society of America (CMSA) has a list of teachers that you might take a look at. I expect that many of these would be amenable to Zoom lessons. They also have a list of...
  9. Re: Finding a teacher when you have very specific musical interes

My own involvement in HIP (on a different instrument) showed that it's necessary for immersion with other researchers and players, which constitute the best body of existing knowledge and practices. ...
  10. Re: Finding a teacher when you have very specific musical interes

mandolessons.com is free and you can donate to his website !
  11. Re: Finding a teacher when you have very specific musical interes

https://sfmandolin.org/

perhaps the SF Mandolin Orchestra can help.

sfmo@sfmandolin.org
  12. Re: Finding a teacher when you have very specific musical interes

I think Marla's Peghead Nation course is really great value for the money, if you want to learn to play irish tunes on the mandolin with great feel and lift then I'd highly recommend Marla - she also...
  13. Re: Finding a teacher when you have very specific musical interes

I also have very specific interests and found a teacher in a different country with deep expertise in playing the type of music I want to play on the mandolin. I had good results straying from the...
  14. Re: Finding a teacher when you have very specific musical interes

I don’t have experience with either of the courses you mentioned, so apologize for not directly addressing your question. In reading your initial explanation and musical interests, though, Mike...
  15. Replies
    Views

The Joy of an OM

I’d like to share an experience that might inform someone else on their quest towards whatever musical goals they pursue.

I’ve played mandolin for a long time, have owned—and sold—numerous fine...
  16. Replies
    Views

Eastman MD305 = AMAZING!

Hi Mandolin Players,

I'm posting this review to help others who may be on the fence about buying an Eastman.

I have owned a Collings MT for about 10 years and recently decided to buy a backup...
  17. Re: Curt Mangan GW Signature Strings question

Howdy fellas! My Signature Monel Set are the same materials as any of their Monel sets are. As far as gauges go, My set have a 40 G and a 26 D just like a set of J74s would.... I never liked the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Taylor Thermex Picks

I found these Taylor Thermex picks yesterday at A# Music in Kent (not a bad little store for mostly guitars).

For about $2 a pick I figured I'd give them a go!

They remind me of Dawg picks...
  19. Replies
    Views

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here on MC. I have been playing the mandolin for about a year now, and have benefited in so many ways from this site. Thanks for your contributions.:mandosmiley:
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Telemann - Con Tenerezza from TWV 41:D3

Here is a good intro to figured bass and realization from the music dept. at Earlham College.

Barry
  21. Replies
    Views

Telemann - Con Tenerezza from TWV 41:D3

When I was working on my two Telemann books for Mel Bay I played (or attempted to play) through hundreds of pieces from many collections. One of my favorite books was the Barenreiter edition of the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking a virtual program where we can jam

Jacktrip is the Stanford program. It optimizes what the data that is sent over the internet to reduce the latency problem. It does require some pretty specific setup work on the computer....
  23. Thread: Wet Tuning?

by Ray(T)
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wet Tuning?

No, it’s supposed to make an instrument sound more in tune than if you tuned the strings to an equal temperament. There are numerous mathematical explanations for this which, in 50 years of playing...
  24. Thread: Wet Tuning?

by foldedpath
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wet Tuning?

I have a few newer Peterson tuners with that "sweetened" mandolin tuning but I've never been able to figure out what it's supposed to do, and I can't hear any improvement in the tunes I normally play...
  25. Re: Renaissance cittern with 1/4 comma meantone fretting

With sixty plus years of playing slide trombone, got an instrument built to centuries old sackbut specs.
    The one visual cue, the bell rim, is in a different relative position.
    Adam Woolf's...
Page 1 of 2 1 2