Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

Yes. They mention that in the first video, about 1:50 in.
  2. Replies
    Views

The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

I just happened across this brief youtube video thanks to their autosuggestion function. It's only a couple of years old and includes some interesting information. For one thing, it mentions plans by...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Whiskey barrel octave mandolin

Might work as an electric. Might. Wood's way too thick for any decent acoustic music production. And there's still the intonation. :whistling: Fashion a whammy bar out of a keg pull and off you go!...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Random mandolin sightings

Oh, I dunno. It doesn't sound that bad to me, though I'm fine with olives, no wish to change. I also like an olive or two in a Bloody Mary, along with lots of other stuff. ;) But I'm not much for...
  5. Replies
    Views

Roni Stoneman R.I.P.

Roni Stoneman, born Veronica Loretta Stoneman, often called the "First Lady of the Banjo," passed away February 22nd in Nashville TN. She was probably best known as the distaff half of the feudin'...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Um, yeah, you tuned your what which way? :confused:
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

It is indeed a very good thing to learn how to play in all keys, not just the ones you like, not only because it's good to know how to play your instrument as fully as possible, but also because you...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Mike Compton!!

Ha! I was searching for something special with MC that had occurred this day. All I have on a personal basis vere two things: I wrote a song one year, and the other I can't mention here. It's very...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

Yes, agreed. Some of my happy songs are rather silly. Which is not to say that humor can't infuse serious or cynical or satirical songs - it can, indeed, and quite effectively - but being silly may...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: What Does This Mean?

Fixed it. It was in Chrome settings all along. I found a button that said "dismiss warning" - dismissed. Done and dusted. Whew!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

I'll wager that is the case for the vast majority of people, SO's in particular. And lord knows I've ventured into this area myself, several times over the years, with decidedly mixed results in...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

I'm that cool. :cool:
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Help on counting this phrase

I'm thinking - Forget the notation, play it by ear. He's playing a 4/4 rhythm with his left hand, and the triplet figure is set against that, producing a natural syncopation. He does it three times,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

I'm all for progress, yet I value tradition. I thought something valuable was lost when, in the wake of the popularity of "The Preppy Handbook" in the early 80s, the Yale Co-Op began selling baseball...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: listing of rock songs w/mando

Please, buddy - search the list before adding. Why people don't do this, I don't know. I will grant that it hasn't been updated in a long while, but it is searchable, as is every thread here. The...
  16. Re: What kind of mandolin is Johnny Winter playing in this photo?

“Johnny’s guitar set up was pretty standard, although he did start tuning down a full step while I was still working with him,” Jon Paris pointed out. “Around that time, he started playing Lazer...
  17. Re: What kind of mandolin is Johnny Winter playing in this photo?

“I met Johnny in the summer of ’78 at a club called Pop’s in New York’s East Village,” Paris recollected. “We were both there to catch Louisiana Red [AKA Iverson Minter – the Alabama-born...
  18. Re: What kind of mandolin is Johnny Winter playing in this photo?

Johnny Winter would have turned 80 today. My friend John Kruth, writer and player of mandolin (and a zillion other instruments, but it's one of his main ones), posted this excellent (if a wee bit...
  19. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

"Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?"

Kinda depends on how badly you need kindling and how much you're willing to spend for it. :whistling:

How about making the day you do...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Youse guys! :))

One of my first bands, which included a friend I'd known since junior high, had substance issues. I liked the smoke so much my nickname was "Smoky," (this was in the 80s, when...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Whats the name of this tune?

You know, the name of the song is right there in the video - "Unknown Title." :whistling:

GonCc4EKa5g

I've been doing some sleuthing, and as was noted, the first verse is from "Stealin'." I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What is or was this?

There's one guy who keeps bidding incrementally to reach past another's set bid. He pushed it from around $300 to over $500, and then from $550 to now $750 to secure the top spot - only to have...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Songs about moonshining

Are you suggesting that people actually read through a thread before posting? :disbelief: What kind of effect would that have on repeated multiple repetitions of multiple repeats? :confused: Heavens...
  24. Re: 'Fast Car' Grammy Guitar - connection to Michael Heiden

That is some fine sleuthing there! I'm so impressed with that story, and to see that Tracy Chapman has been playing this instrument publicly going back to 2001. There's something really special about...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Random mandolin sightings

No, a drummer doesn't play chords; a drum is a rhythm instrument, generally - there are some drums that can be played with pitch changes by altering drumhead tension, such as tabla and talking drum....
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4