Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Paul Anastasio, jazz and Western swing violinist. Cut a beautiful swing album (We Ain't Misbehavin') with Joe Holley and Frank Hicks. Just two violins and a guitar.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

AT LAST someone who shows some understanding of the actual -- didactic -- topic. On just about any instrument, and in just about any genre, the basic advice given to beginners is, learn to play in...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

In this context, to me at least , "beyond" means "longer than". Seems to me that to some people tremolo is to be used anything longer than a quarter note.

Not sure what I would do on a tune like...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

How can you tell? There are lots of features in my technique that I'm not aware of. E.g., I used to feject the common suggestion of picking both strings in the pair on the downstroke, and one on the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Thoughts on tremolo

I've said this before: tremolo is an expressive device to be used when it expresses something. I.e., to me it's not a default technique to be used on, say, anything beyond quarter notes. I try to...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Non-mando question - singing

There's more to rhythm mandolin than chopping on the offbeat; I think of chopping as varying rhythmic patterns accenting the offbeat. Johansson's Rule: In a group, harmonically and rhythmically, the...
  7. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

Convince me of the value of picking every note ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Not sure at all what you are trying to explain. I've tried to explain the actual issue, a reasonable -- and very common -- piece of advice to beginners on mandolin and other string instruments.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

Maybe you have something to learn from jazz jams. As far as I know at a standard (meaning swing to bop) jam there'll be ONE set of drums, ONE bass, ONE piano and possibly some other rhythm...
  10. Replies
    Views

I see I'll have to rephrase my question: Bluegrass? What has this example got to do with Bluegrass?

And: Police????

As predicted, almost everything said here has been said before. Returning to...
  11. Replies
    Views

I've looked at a score and I don't see the difficulty. The first section lies very comfortably in 2nd position, meaning that., e.g., the a notes (except the low ones, of course) should not be...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick technique

I've always tried to find ways of economizing pick direction on triplets. As an example, take the notes e-g-bb-g on strings 4-3-3-3, the first three forming a triplet. On that figure I might play...
  13. Re: 30 Bluegrass Tunes EVERY Mandolinist Should Know(D Benedict)

The "idea" is that you interpret "tunes" as "songs". In your list all items except one are songs. On David's list about three of the items have lyrics. On a song a mandolin player will contribute...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick technique

What you are talking about is mainly down strokes from string to string, as in manouche, sweep picking,etc. Then there's also the other kind, with repeated notes on one course, as exemplified by some...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Clefs are like subnets

I believe G and F clefs are best understood together. They're continuations of one another, separated by a common ledger line, representing middle C. Or you can think of the two together, as grand...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in Position

You should be prepared to go one fret out of position without moving your hand. E.g., playing in G, out of third position (index on 5th fret), you have the choice of fingering an f# on the d...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

No tune or song is or isn't Bluegrass -- Bluegrass is what you do with it.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

The answer simply is: because you're not familiar with them or don't care for their stuff, or are busy playing, and listning to, other stuff. But then I´m not "into mandolin" but rather into music. ...
  19. Re: Books that show which scales to play over certain chords

One possible drawback of scales thinking is that it easily degerates into "one-chord-at-a-time" where the real art is connecting whatever licks you devise over the individual chords, and relating...
  20. Re: Downstrokes for playing Bill Monroe Tunes?

E.g.,https://www.premierguitar.com/lessons/djangos-gypsy-jazz-secrets
  21. Re: Downstrokes for playing Bill Monroe Tunes?

Mostly? Not really. Monroe did use repeated doenstrokes on medium up tunes, like Cotton Fields and stompy blues numbers. Tis is a matter of style, and expression, not technique. In Django's case I...
  22. Re: The Change That I See in Bluegrass Over The Past 20 Years.

The big change is in the use of the word. as illustrated by the thread on "modern bluegrass" or a recent item in Bluegrass Today about Swedish singer Sofia Talvik.What's the connection? Drive,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Briliancy done right

I-m happy to see that Brian Obrlin has posted a transcription of Howdy Forrester's version on https://www.mandoberlin.com/lessons/Brilliancy_Howdy.pdf -- which is superior to that of Sam Bush...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

Labels. You’ve submitted several posts on a subforum devoted to Bluegrass, expressing your distaste of the genre. So what, then really is BG and when is it “modern” or “non-traditional” and not just...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing strings

The strings were at least 3 years old when one of the e strings broke. And I think a mandolin sounds best with a full set of strings.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4