1. Replies
    Views

Re: Birdland Breakdown

Great tune so I'll raise you this one with twin mandolin harmony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDcxHWglzkI
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Sad news - Jesse McReynolds passes

Jesse was so far ahead and afield of his contemporaries, it seems, despite his obvious connection to the 'roots'. The album of Grateful Dead covers, for example. For anyone not already in the know,...
  3. Re: Chord melody chat: Aaron Weinstein & David Benedict

What a wonderful world we live in where two people can share this moment with each other, record it, and then share it with us. Such a cool thing to witness and get to be privy to. Thank you, Mr....
  4. Re: buy a Gibson from Guitar Center?-I did, here's what happened

Happy to hear about this buying experience, Daryl - enjoy it and keep havin' fun!!

Chris
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Your MAS Progression

I had a thread on this also: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/122051-your-mandolin-ownership-history

but I'll add mine here, too because it's fun to reflect over the past (wow) 30 years:...
  6. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

Hey daryl,

I own a recent duff A5 and chose it over a lengthy trial period during which I played a few of your mandos! I have played the k&k A5 at carters and it is nearly identical to mine. The...
  7. Re: Hey guys and gals, I need some help please . . . old newbie

Thanks, again, everyone. Just to keep the thread going, I have focused on owning-to-try-out an octave or 'dola next, then hope for a 'cello at some point. I guess I should have known this would be...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: your mandolin ownership history

Great day, Jim thassalottamandolins.

Glad to see this thread still going.

I'll add a 2015 Duff A5, a Mandobird electric (gold sparkle), and a SECOND McGhee F5 to my list. I sold the first...
  9. Re: Our version of David Grisman's 'Ricochet' / quarantine video

Thanks, everyone for your kind words!

We used The Amazing Slow Downer (Willie, paid app) and Audacity (me, free) to slow the tune down and pick out the parts. Not easy with 3 mandos, but Willie...
  10. Our version of David Grisman's 'Ricochet' / quarantine video

Just wanted to share this project I was fortunate to be a part of. My best buddy, Brian 'Willie' Williams figured the three mandolin parts to Ricochet, one of the tunes I've dreamed of playing since...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Resoldering k&k twin foot?

Thank you, again everyone. I got everything stripped, tinned, and resoldered. Sealed the rubber covers in with some glue. Put everything back on the mando and it works as good as new.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Thumb Pain

I'll add that the neck shape, for me, can greatly affect thumb pain. In my case, I played a newer Weber mandolin with a very CEE shaped neck. I called it a 'baseball bat'. Prior to this most of my...
  13. Re: Tenderly · Don Stiernberg & John Carlini

How cool is that! I love this site. Thank you, Mr. Stiernberg, OP, and Scott T (and everyone) for cooperating to make this wonderful world of mandolins and mandolin enthusiasts.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: This is incredible...

I don't have a dog in this fight. I like Thile but understand why people don't. My reaction to him, having been around since before he was around, is the near single-handed movement of the solo...
  15. Re: Journeying through musical styles on mandolin

I hear you!! Tony Rice is a good example, going back to bluegrass and maybe more attention and album sales form something that was amazing but probably not as available to the average listener.
  16. Re: Journeying through musical styles on mandolin

thanks for the link, cat. Interesting read. Though I wasn't trying to come across as whining that i'm not good enough, I do suffer from that syndrome. I do love the music and will continue to...
  17. Re: MAS for your day, Duff A-5(new) just posted on youtube 8/4/1

Carters had that Duff when I was there a few months ago but it wasn't on their website. I fell in love with it and was lucky enough to procure it's sister on the used market. Both are birdseye back...
  18. Re: akg c1000s - trio using two plus bass through amp

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't understand most of it but it sounds like getting this mic 'just because he has one' is probably not my choice. From what I can understand, it sounds like he may...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Yeah, I'm my own worst critic and have avoided this video stuff for a long time. But I'm seeing the value of watching myself play and learning from my mistakes. Here's my band playing "My favorite...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass: The new Americana!

Not sure if this will be additive or jacking but reading this got me thinking and I want to try to complete an idea.

I think the labels have been bastardized by the industry and is probably pretty...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: A style vs F style performance

having just gone through the process of making a significant upgrade I can attest that you can get a lot more mandolin if you buy an equivalent A vs. an F. I did a lot of side by side comparisons...
  22. Re: What is the correct distance between the frets and the string

Haha. No sweat, I'm kind of a freak when it comes to analyzing this so, yeah, I don't represent the world of mandolin players. It's a crazy fun journey to learn what you want to learn. For me it...
  23. Re: visiting Nashville last few days of June -- ideas ?

Station Inn. Call Carter Vintage and ask them.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Newson F5's at Gruhn

Thanks for the referral, Mike:) I loved, loved, loved the Newson at Carter's. Think it is a new one. Great everything. Tone, fit and finish, playability, and sidebound. I was just not willing to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Trigger pulled - Duff A5

Thanks to Rick and to all who have helped me find my next mandolin. I got this lightly used 2015 Duff A5 this weekend (sellers pictures). 147246147247

Specs: Red Spruce top, birdseye maple back,...
Page 1 of 2 1 2