Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Greek strings

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Greek strings

Thanks, Greg. I always like getting more musical and cultural education, and I enjoyed the music, especially all those cousins-of-mandolins played by masterful musicians. I grew up partly in...
  2. Re: Makes me long for the old "Photoshop This" threads

Nooooo!

Jamie
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Bert Deivert's international recording

Thanks for sharing it Ron. That was recorded with my new custom built David Sefl 2 point mandolin. Jesper and the gang recorded in Denmark and I did my part in Sweden. More coming from us! BUT......
  4. Thread: Improvising

by Don Julin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Improvising

https://www.mandolinshealtheworld.com/categories/20190520

https://youtu.be/gf6XsDpzaWA
  5. Thread: Improvising

by Don Julin
    Replies
    Views

https://www.mandolinshealtheworld.com/categories/20170317

https://youtu.be/1bWLaLijXDo
  6. Replies
    Views

There is no "right way" to learn improv. While the goal is to be able to flow without thinking (subconcious), no player can ever do this without a whole lot of concious improv work in the practice...
  7. Re: Tonedexter - neat new DI/pre for acoustic instruments

There have been a lot of products trying to make an acoustic pickup sound more like an acoustic, but the ToneDexter is in a whole new league, able to take the signal from an undersaddle transducer,...
  8. Thread: For Sell

by multidon
    Replies
    Views

Re: For Sell -

Greg_tsam, I am sorry about the injury. And I hate to be the one to have to point this out but Forum guidelines prohibit commerce anywhere but the Classifieds. One of the moderators will surely...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: "Perfect" Scroll?

I've tried that, Drew. It looks weird once you see it in the flesh. The sides of the button end up sloping up and it ends up looking kind of un-anchored.
  10. Re: My new truss rod cover: Homeage to Hoss (the other Hoss)

After all, he was one of us.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Saying Farewell

Thanks for all the kind words. Unfortunately the arthritis is in the index and middle fingers of the left hand. I can't even press down Uke strings. I will likely hang around the forum.

I am...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Saying Farewell

I also have arthritis and have to make two note chords now days but I still play with the band and I have learned to do two note chops that are not as good as four note chops but they do the job...
  13. Thread: New Cap

by Ron McMillan
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Cap

I'm most impressed to hear that the new Cafe cap also makes tea and tells jokes.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Musicians and hats

A rigid brimmed cowboy topper is better than a snake rattle and a tone guard and an armrest put together at improving the tone of a mandolin - by deflecting sound into the player's ears.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips on chords in Jazz

Dear drbhrb,

Please be more specific about which chord sounds you don't like. I don't mean to defend my bad sounding chords, and I would like to help. A quick review of the samples above...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

Or a highly predictable train wreck in slow motion.

:popcorn:
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

JKA,

I take it as a reference to sitting back and watching a movie, or in this case, the drama of a reality TV show.
  18. Re: MAS for your day, Duff A-5(new) just posted on youtube 8/4/1

Well, now I feel like a real dope. I just found out the problem was my headphones. I listened to something else of which I know is excellent quality and it sounded bad as well. I used another set...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Aaron Weinstein's Mel Bay books

Hello Montana,

I noticed your reiterated here the comments that you sent me directly and so I think it's best that I post here as well. Re: the chord melody book, the instructional chapters do...
  20. Texas: The Pearl Bluegrass Jam's new webpage

The monthly bluegrass jam in Pearl, Texas is one of my favorite places to be. I just visited the website and was surprise to find it under construction - although there was a link to the new...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bear claw on top: good or not?

No, you see it all the time in old fiddles...
    I remember an Amati with an especially nice one-piece top that was loaded in bearclaw...

Yeah, that all happened when Dana Bourgeois started...
  22. Replies
    Views

Hey, Tim. Them's fightin' words! My parents bought a brand new '59 Edsel and it was a fine car. Robin's egg blue and white. Not that I'm bragging or anything. :)
  23. Replies
    Views

Bear claw was considered a fault, traditionally. Lots of spruce was rejected because of bear claw, C.F. Martin would not use it, it was considered "junk". Then, somehow, it became something to...
  24. Replies
    Views

JD Crowe & New South 1975: Ricky Skaggs Loar

Cafe denizens!

Someone posted the full public television special/in-studio show from 1975 in Kentucky that features JD Crowe & The New South. Lots of mando content featuring Ricky's newly acquired...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: One tip that changed everything

FFcp=four fingers in closed position(s)

Being able to use the whole neck and fearless of any key has had the biggest effect on my playing.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4