Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The Girl I Left Behind Me

FW0b7O5EFS8
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Old S.S. Stewart mandolin

After Stewart passed away, his sons took over the business, and around 1915 B&J bought the name and apparently doled out builds to a variety of builders. Do a google search for S.S. Stewart Martin...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: David Surette has passed.

It was a pleasure to hear him play Frieze Britches in person at Swannanoa 2017 where I was first introduced to his teaching and music, and on the Mandolin Mondays video. On my drive back from...
  4. Re: What artist/album got you started with Trad

It wasn't an artist or album that got me started in Irish trad, but a couple of acquaintances, Frank Quinn and Lawrence Nugent. Well known around the Chicago trad scene, these two have guided my...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Choro listening recommendations

Dan-
    Be aware that trying to learn choro from one or two Mike Marshall workshops is like trying to drink form a firehose, there is so much to it. One thing Mike has really stressed in his video...
  6. Re: NMD Girouard Concert A5 (pictures and a video)

Very nice Chuck! I feel the same way, my Girouard is a lifer.

What woods did you get on it?
  7. Re: Phil Crump & Paddy Burgin OM's - your experience

I have a 2001 Phil Crump OM III, and it is a really nice instrument. At 22 3/4", it is a bit of a stretch for my hands. It has something like a 4" + depth at the tail, and can be quite boom-ie, which...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

No, they do not. You would have to buy a custom set, emando.com has a set that is nice. A great alternative is to buy d'addario flatwound chrome steel single guitar strings in the gauges you need. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish tenor banjo

Thanks Jill, I will probably go with something like that, I hope I still have some strings around from when I had my 20" trinity OM, or perhaps I can piece together a set from what I have for my...
  10. Re: Thoughts on starter fiddles/transitioning to fiddle

I just took this step myself, and decided on buying a used, old fiddle.

I have a violin shop down the street, and a well known one a city over, and have inquired about starting violins. While the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Picked up a fiddle recently..

One great thing about the fiddle, it sure is making me play my mandolin more!
  12. Re: Hypothetical high dollar mando purchase question...

Dang dang, look for a Nugget. It might be a long search, I don't think Mike is makin anymore. Enjoy the journey!
  13. Re: Strap attachment - A style, no body button

I just hated the strap on the headstock. Gets in the way. Another option is to use a loop of leather shoe string around where the fretboard and body meet, and attach the strap to that.

No danger...
  14. The best thing about ordering from Pinegrove leathers

Is getting an email that says:

"Your order has been dispatched using UK Royal Mail and is on its way to you."

I feel so superior, I imagine a Beefeater marching off to hand my parcel to the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Loud, or Not So Loud?

From my experience. I would play at night softly my first couple of years, as this was some of the best time to get in undisturbed practice. However, it messed me up because I was practicing playing...
  16. Re: Small speakers revisited, and we have a new winner: Sony XB-2

Try the Adam A3x. Might be a bit pricy at 350 each, but man are they great for a nearfield system.
  17. Replies
    Views

NMD - Girouard Oval

New mandolin day, my new Girouard A Oval arrived yesterday morning. I have been too busy playing it to post or record anything, but here is a start. I opened the box to check on it when I got it,...
  18. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

Arriving soon, in the mail.

19. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

Max posted pics on Facebook, pretty sure this is mine.

20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for beginners 1st camp

I'd add don't feel like you have to attend every class, if you can take a break, it can allow you to sleep in or take a nap so you can participate in some jams.
  21. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

Getting closer..

I have cleared the way for this one by selling my beloved Collings MTO. I am now "stuck" with only my PW Crump octave mandolin until it arrives.

22. Re: How much does a Northfield actually cost to make?

No. Please read post #8 by admin.
    https://www.northfieldinstruments.com/team

What Jeff Mando has said about fair trade applies to a point. It is a small group of builders who build "alongside"...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I Buy an OM

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: If it is just to participate in the session, then it depends on what you can add to the session. As stated before, if there is a guitar or zouk playing rhythm, then...
  24. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

Can't believe it is being worked on, not too much longer till it is completed. The other week Max sent some pictures of the roughed out back and top.

It will have abalone fret markers, headstock...
  25. Man crosses the Atlantic in a barrel - with mando

"If it was nice, I swam, and dove underneath the barrel to catch a fish, sea bream, to supplement my meal.

I made a breakfast in the morning, and a nice dinner in the evening. I had a lot of time...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4