Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

nope, nope, nope....

no genders or names, please!

(well, I guess Jeff Mando is OK...:cool:)
  2. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Yep. Indeed, the list of signatories to that letter struck me as somewhat interesting given the fact that many of those newer artists owe at least some of their success to an algorithm that promoted...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Bitterroot F-5

I bought a brand new Bruce signed bitterroot f-5 in 2003. Mine is stock with the mahogany back, natural finish, tone bars I believe. I A/B tested it against other great instruments before purchase,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Bitterroot F-5

It depends on who made the Webers. Not who signed the label: who made the instrument. Some were made by companies that bought the rights to the Weber name.

I have several Webers. Most were made...
  5. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Automated stations. No human disk jockies or human curated selections anymore either. If AI doesn't make the selections now, it will soon. So all the songs will likely be the overplayed ones that...
  6. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

It's all the same Clear Channel station. I pull up the Wenatchee classic rock and it's playing the exact same section of the exact same song as the Yakima, Ellensberg and Kennewick stations.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Late 1990's - Production Mandolin Boom?

When I started working as the engineer for Gibson/Flatiron in 1995, in Belgrade, MT, Gibson had the majority of the domestic mandolin manufacturing and sales market. I believe it was something over...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks for arthritis

V picks make a really thick pick 8.5 mm. You don’t have to hold it so tightly. Pricey, but you only need one and if it solves your isssue, then I’d venture to suggest it’s worth it?

No...
  9. Re: Stroboclip Tuner TL;DR Tale told by an idiot*, Part 765:

Battery life is great because of the auto-shutoff, an essential feature for those of us who are old and feeble-minded.

I'm a big fan of the Unitune. Works nicely on everything from my mando to my...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

I concur with pops and Mark. You've got two different things you're talking about testing. Plugging a preamp into the Fishman is basically doubling down on the preamp(s), which will give you a very...
  11. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

I don't denigrate the quality of the products. But I have real problems with the labor and environmental standards of a lot of other countries. China alone has over a million slave laborers, and...
  12. Re: internal pickup mounting on an F4 style mandolin

Pickups are mounted thru f hole mandolins, it surely can be mounted inside an oval. The endpin jack is the way to go, a jack plate in the side is asking for trouble and possible damage if the cord is...
  13. Thread: Wide Nut Fever?

by jherm
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wide Nut Fever?

i started out as a guitar player and i have big hands .... my 1st mando was a normal neck but way to small for me.... i had custom made mando and he told me mine was the biggest neck he has ever...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Slides

Coated strings are helpful. I like the Daddario XS strings. The XTs should be fine also. Honestly probably just takes time and experience to get smooth with it. Compton suggests rubbing some nose...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: DI for K&K pickup?

Sounds to me like the sound guy didn't know what it should sound like, and if you change it he may change it back. A comment to the sound guy would be my choice. All sound engineers are not created...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

I like my oval a lot more than the two F-hole mandos I've had. It just sounds better. But I'm not a bluegrasser, so there's that.

Now you know.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: The Honeymoon is OVER!!!

Seems like a good reason to use some coated strings. They’ll let you go 2-3 times longer before you have to mess around with changing strings again.
  18. Thread: Upgrade?

by Kentucky200
    Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade?

I just purchased a new RAG upgraded from a Kentucky 500, and it was an upgrade, had it about 3 weeks playing daily and it is really opening up.Looks like my forever mandolin.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Standard bluegrass tunes CD?

Frank Wakefield and Red Allan - Kitchen Tapes is so iconic too.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Standard bluegrass tunes CD?

2cd set "Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza" .....this and the 6 Bluegrass Album Band CDs will keep you busy until you're ready to dive into the five Bear Family Bill Monroe box sets.......
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece recommendations?

I really like Allen cast tailpieces. I have them on 4 instruments. Probably not a direct replacement where all the holes will line up though.
  22. Thread: Upgrade Fever

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade Fever

I don't believe in "next" level instruments. I don't believe in the hierarchy. Every mandolin (with the possible exception the first one) should be the very best you can possibly afford, with the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about flat wound strings

Thomastiks are a different breed of flat wound imo. Silky compared to the d’addarios. Higher priced but longer lasting, and very easy playing. As others have commented, great for some instruments, a...
  24. Re: What’s going on with low inventory of mandolins at shops?

No shops for anything but craft brewed beer out here..

:whistling:
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

There is a lot to this.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3