Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

If you enjoy old-time mandolin playing, I highly recommend following Daniel on instagram. He posts a lot of great videos of himself playing old-time standards solo....
  2. Thread: Humidifier

by joh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Humidifier

Northfield has instructions on how to best use the Boveda Humipaks for their [oval hole] octaves: https://www.northfieldinstruments.com/store/boveda-humidity-control. I imagine the recommendation...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Joe Val Festival - Framingham MA Feb 16-18

At the price point of $65, I am not expecting an extensive seminar/workshop schedule. If that's your main interest, Mandolin Camp North and Fiddle Hell are likely to be of more interest.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: nice looking Gibson F-4 1917

Assuming the mandolin was in excellent condition and all/most parts original, that price tracks with other teen Gibson F4s that have sold through premium retailers over the last year.

If buying...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando and Fiddle duo's

Not a duet, but I'd still recommend checking out George Jackson's album "Time and Place", which is an old time album of original compositions with Andrew Marlin on mandolin, often times doubling the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Modding a Northfield F5S

Many people (including many professional mandolinists) swear by a tone guard.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Does this program exist?

I think this is still largely an open research problem.

I do remember coming across a product that was developed by a person who did their PhD on the topic. It was actually pretty good, but I...
  8. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

I've had the good fortunate of spending considerable time with a number of Gils, one Monteleone, and a few Heidens. Without a doubt, Heidens are in the same tier.

Tone is a subjective matter, but...
  9. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull rocking a Northfield electric octave

Title says it all :-)

https://youtu.be/QDsgBZQf-z8?si=T9H1jfav1ovTrciN&t=2987
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for some help sifting through reverb

Congrats on the mando! I played that one during my last visit to TME and I was really impressed by it. I waffled a lot about trading in my mando to get it! Glad it went to a Café member :)
  11. Thread: I don't get it

by joh
    Replies
    Views

Re: I don't get it

Disagree with what? My explanation as to why I believe the classified listing is written as such?

As others have commented, it seems likely the listing refers to the 1937 Gibson F5. That is a very...
  12. Thread: I don't get it

by joh
    Replies
    Views

Re: I don't get it

I think the presumption is that if you have to ask what the ad is about, then the ad is not meant for you.
  13. Thread: Red Rocking Chair

by joh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Red Rocking Chair

In old time circles, I've always heard it in G, similarly to how Bruce Molsky plays it: https://www.pegheadnation.com/featured-videos/studio/bruce-molsky-red-rocking-chair/

Outside of old time,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Andrew Marlin’s Gilchrists

Thanks! But I think that's the Gilchrist he's since sold to Joe K Walsh being the video is from 2018.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield NS-F5S vs Big Mon

I have an Engelmann Big Mon. It has the woof and poof that glassweb describes. Here’s how I’d describe it’s tone:

- that “woof” makes for a really beautiful sounding double stops; double stops on...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

* David Grisman Quintet (maybe not "modern" anymore, but his sound is still pretty modern to my ear).
    * John Reischman's solo albums. (I'm not a fan of vocal bluegrass songs, so I don't enjoy his...
  17. Thread: Café classifieds

by joh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Café classifieds

As someone who pursues the Mandolin Classifieds primarily from the front page, I’m glad to see this change as it will allow new Mandolin ads to be on the front page for a longer duration of time. The...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

That James Bryan recording is wonderful. I believe he was also the one who wrote the C part of the tune - the A and B parts being the original tune.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

I attended Fiddle Hell this past weekend (it was awesome! Thanks Dave Reiner :-)).

I picked up a couple of new tunes from various workshops:

Jake Blount taught Roscoe's Gone, a newer tune (by...
  20. Replies
    Views

Sam Grisman Project - Friend Of The Devil

The title says it all :-).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUVMw1pSV3s
  21. Re: Why are some songs not written in the key they are in?

I can’t ready notation (well), so take the following with a grain of salt.

As someone who has contemplated learning notation, if all music was written this way (without need to modulate how one...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I think that's this mandolin?
    https://themusicemporium.com/products/monteleone-grand-artist-used-1994
  23. Replies
    Views

Mandolin and Clawhammer Banjo duos

Old time, Appalachian mandolin music can be hard to find, and mandolin/banjo duo performances even harder!

However, I feel the mandolin thrives in this setting. The two instruments complement each...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Essay on Mandolin Orchestras

A very naive question: are there mandolin orchestras that don’t play classical music?

I, too, am not an active classical music listener (mandolin or not), but I am very intrigued by the idea of a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: LIVE Unboxing of Gibson Mandolins

I really enjoyed the Gibson mandolin history presentation. I wish it was another hour and half longer :D.

The Acoustic Shoppe's Youtube channel is really fun. They also put on ~20 minute...
Page 1 of 2 1 2