Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs?

Yes, because I want to sound the best that I can.
  2. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

I had a varnished Eastman that had headstock damage from the PO leaving the tuner clipped on. I don’t think it would be a problem with nitro, but I still remove mine after every session.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin 'dogs'?

I’ve played some very high-dollar mandolins by some very highly regarded builders at Elderly that I found extremely underwhelming.

In my experience regarding Weber and Collings, I’ve never played...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about CA glue

I was able to slice it off with a razor blade with minimal damage to the finish. Thanks to all who posted advice.
  5. Re: Do great looking mandolins have to sound better?

No, but they sell better. I’m not a builder, so this is just my opinion. Buyers want mandolins that look pretty. If they sound good, that’s a bonus. I’m guessing that there are plain tone woods that...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Center

In my town there are three non- chain stores and I try to take them my business. So if GC goes down it won’t hurt my feelings. They will still sell online through MF.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: D'addario strings (Consistent breakage)

I’ve used D’addario strings almost exclusively since I started playing mandolin over ten years ago. I may have had one E string break. I can’t really remember. Certainly hasn’t been a problem for me.
  8. Re: Happy Birthday Dennis Vance, hoping for a transplant

Happy birthday Dennis! We’re all pulling for you here at MC.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What are your go-to crowd pleasers?

Norwegian Wood
    I’ve Just Seen a Face
    Ripple
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Changed back to nickel-silver frets

Does Stew Mac sell Loar fairy dust? Asking for a friend.....
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie needs equipment advice

Agree 100%. Dollar fir dollar, your going to farther ahead with an Eastman or Kentucky over the MK.
  12. Re: No mandolin content. Taylor Guitars story about sourcing wood

And the robot tuners were ridiculously expensive.
  13. Re: $25,000 Gibson on FaceBook Marketplace

As Mike Wolfe would say, “I don’t want to buy the memories, I just want to buy the mandolin.”
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Iwamoto F5 mandolin #118 in progress

I’ve seen and played a F5 style mandolin with “Takeshi” on the headstock, but never Iwamoto. It was at Elderly Instruments, and it’s been a while, maybe two or three years ago. Unfortunately I can’t...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Know You Rider

Also the Grateful Dead did an electric version on Live in Europe ‘72.
  16. Re: Uncharted territory in my mandolin life

Elderly’s showroom is closed, but their policy as of yesterday is they will hold any instrument from their online catalog, with no deposit, until such time as they can ship it.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Any Baritone guitar players here?

Update: I ended up getting an Alvarez A/E baritone with LR Baggs electronics. With discount at GC it was a little over $400. For the $$ I’m very happy with it and it came set up nicely from the...
  18. Re: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

I had a Telecaster that I sold to a friend and immediately regretted it. About a year later I asked him how it was working out for him. He said he was going to sell it because he bought another Tele...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Woodstock

So you really were on acid at Woodstock.....
  20. Re: Gibson destroys hundreds of Firebird X's

Another glimpse of the madness that is emanating from Gibson lately.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT vs MF vs Stivers F

I had an MT for a while. It was a really good Mando. Shoulda hung on to it.....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

Everybody says that they're instrument has improved over time but nobody has any recordings to prove it. The recordings would have to be in the same room with the same mic at the same temp and RH,...
  23. Re: Protecting peghead from clip on tuner marring

I had a mando that was varnished and the PO had left the tuner on the peg head for some time. It did some real damage to the finish. Haven’t had any issues with nitro.
  24. Re: Inexpensive Mandolin with longer scale length and wide nut wi

An octave mandolin has a longer scale length tuned GDAE an octave below a traditional mandolin. Trinity College and Gold Tone come to mind. Gonna be hard to find one used under $350 though.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The big hustle

Are you sure you weren't at a used car lot?
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4