Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: VERY quiet mandolin for practicing?

WHERE do all these people work that allows mandolin playing? Next thing ya know people will be playing with their phones at work! :grin:
  2. Replies
    Views

More Ukrainian tunes staff w/ TAB

Hey gang, here are the other 3 Ukrainian tunes that I learned at Lark camp in the 80's.

they don't show up well, but they download as a pdf.
  3. Ukrainian Tune #1 Waltz in Am staff notation w/ TAB

Hi mandolinists,

In sympathy with the Ukrainian people, I wanted to share a Ukrainian folk tune, a waltz in Am, with staff notation and TAB.

The TAB is just the most basic version, I often...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this how it starts?

Okay, so this has already been discussed in a good amount of detail on the other thread, but here's the pictures and part of the story. I'm reinterpreting the story Dave wove for me.

It came from...
  5. Replies
    Views

Ha ha, I succumbed to GIAS and bought myself another Stradolin, clarinet, that is. My husband thinks I'm crazy. I haven't played one of these in 45 years. Ha still have a little muscle memory and can...
  6. Replies
    Views

Ukrainian Pub Folk with Mandolin

Been a while since I posted anything on this forum, but one of my bands just released a new song with me playing the mandolin. I think it turned out pretty well, so I wanted to share :)
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD305 Bridge

Unlike a violin bridge most like a mandolin bridge to tilt slightly toward the tailpiece rather than being straight up. It helps when tuning and the drag of 8 strings pulling the bridge forward. I am...
  8. Replies
    Views

My brother and I went up to Vermont last week to visit Jake at the Wildwood Flower. Just to visit, I swear ;)
    We spent a couple hours playing with different instruments on his wall and shooting the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: It Made the Mandolin Sound Better

I'm not sure about the substance in question, but I recall musicians telling the audience this on dance gigs:

"the more you drink, the better we sound".
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: It Made the Mandolin Sound Better

Sounds like I should hand some out to the audience.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Yes, yes I do. And they'd be right. (I think ... my sureness has surely become less assured due to all this surliness and discomfiture.) I think "got" is still acceptable, though. :confused:

The...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Banjo joke I've heard in a while

There was an accordion at my house growing up. I think it belonged to my dad's uncle. He was from Cleveland and of Polish descent; polkas were likely involved. Nobody seriously played it, but us kids...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Banjo joke I've heard in a while

Say no more!
  14. Re: A good reason to have more than one mandolin

I may be a bit odd in this regard, but I actually like changing strings on my mandolins. I really like my mandolins and I feel as if I am somehow caring for them when I change their strings. In...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin goes sharp between sessions?

My experience has been that the ambient temperature is more of a determining factor than humidity. If the temperature drops my strings go sharp, and when the temperature rises the strings go flat. ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin goes sharp between sessions?

I have read that when you play a string instrument your body temp warms it. When you put it in the case it cools down contracting the metal of the strings. So as the metal contracts the pitch tends...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Thickness

I think it depends what kind of music you play, and indeed how you play.

I am Scottish, and I nowadays use a .88 Dunlop pick. For my guitar and octave mandolin playing I use either a .73 Dunlop...
  18. Creating a solo video with my own backing track

What is a simple way to make a video of a solo performance with my own accompaniment, considering I'm technologically challenged? I've been checking out apps (Android) that would allow me to post...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: ? about Dunlop Primetone picks...

Dark pubs with brown carpets and brown picks... shudder... been there done that!!
  20. Re: Octave in tune but lower frets are not?

Sounds like your nut might be too high. Too much tension when you fret causes notes to go sharp?
  21. Re: Interesting picture of WW1 Russian mandolin / mandriola

6 String balalaika!
  22. Replies
    Views

Hey Ma... Look what followed me home.

Can I keep it, Ma, pleeeeeze? I promise to learn how to play it :cool:
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Should a Beginner use a Marco Rebora Mandolin?

Just to show what was the way to hold a mandolin in the old bowlback-era books:

https://www.themandolintuner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Holding-the-mandolin.jpg

Plus, one can stand and...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Should a Beginner use a Marco Rebora Mandolin?

Oh, wow, I get to go first...

Well, I am in the minority of folks on this forum that love bowlback mandolins. I tend to play more Italian and other music rather than the style on the video, but...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge digging into picking hand

If there's a real edge where your picking hand rests, just take a piece of 200 grit sandpaper and carefully round it off a little. Even a very slight round will make it more comfortable. I've done...
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4