Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Sold my Collings and got a Pava

A while ago... over a year, i made my first post here about my struggle with the neck and sound of Collings MT. I was not in love with it but decided to stick with it. This was a mistake. The...
  2. Replies
    Views

ToneDexter on a F5 mandolin

Hi picking fellows,

for several months now I work with the ToneDexter, creating wave maps for several stringed instruments (mandolin, guitar, dobro, Weissenborn, bouzouki) and trying them out on...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Multi-track Recording?

Reaper is free to try, but it is not free. It depends on people doing the right thing and paying for it so you don't need a dongle and it doesn't have all kinds of copy protection crap on it. Pay the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Tonedexter firmware question...

I can see why this is a bit confusing.

The GEN or HGH firmware will alter the EQ ranges accordingly when playing back. WaveMap creation is exactly the same in both cases. BAS is a little...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Summer NAMM 2019 Report

Ok... let's start with my favorite, Ellis & Pava. (I apologize in advance for the cell phone photos--I wasn't planning on doing this...)

Here's a look at their sweet booth:

Starting...
  6. Replies
    Views

Summer NAMM 2019 Report

I'm down at Summer NAMM for a mini vacation with my daughter, and of course have been digging through all things mandolin here.

This year there are a good number of builders, but only 2 US based...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tonedexter firmware question...

I ran across this article yesterday (This second page of the article dealt with touring use by some well-known musicians, so I saved it)....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A 50 for $7500

He promised his wife he'd sell off a few things, lol?
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Webers Hippies vs. Pre Hippie

Depending on which direction this thread takes... 'CF' stands for 'Cornfield'.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Webers Hippies vs. Pre Hippie

"TOH" refers to "Two Old Hippies" - that's what they actually call themselves - who bought the Weber company in 2012. (I had to look it up to see when it happened. I was surprised it was so long...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The Newest Webers

Em Tee, a dovetail is a traditional way of joining the neck to the body, a type of mortise and tenon but V shaped and tapered. It has to be hand fitted and is nothing but wood and glue. The reason...
  12. Re: Grace Design Felix - internal settings and piezo maximization

If you have a mixer at home that has Pre Fader Listen capability you can hook up your output of the Grace to a channel and solo it over to the meter. This is great for setting your output level and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: choosing a mandolin for playability

What is wrong with you people ? OF COURSE HE NEEDS A NEW MANDOLIN !!!!!!!!!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: SNARK ST-2 Super Tight Clip On Tuner

You have to hook your new Snark up to a tonerite and let it run a few months in order to get the more vintage type tuning.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins are Cool

Mandolins are too cool :cool:
  16. Replies
    Views

It sounds like you may be like me in the fact that my poor fiddle has been taking a back seat to the mandolin ever since I started playing. There really is something about it that has stolen my...
  17. Replies
    Views

They are cool, for a fact. I tried playing guitar and it was boring. I have progressed farther on the mandolin in a short time than ever on a guitar. I think the reason is that the mandolin is fun!
  18. Replies
    Views

Great post, welcome to the fan club. :-)

I play a bunch of other instruments too, but mandolin is currently the main one I am trying to progress on and gets most of my practice time these days.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile at Carnegie Hall 11/28/18

By the way, loved this window into a sensitive musically educated reviewer grappling with the bluegrass tradition:

I personally learned that line from Feast Here Tonight as "goin' down the...
  20. Thread: Ribbon Mics

by foldedpath
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ribbon Mics

Better than pics, here's the video they're from (took me a while to remember the source):

VeE4YCtoj58
  21. Thread: Ribbon Mics

by foldedpath
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ribbon Mics

I can't resist posting these shots from the Goat Rodeo recording sessions. This is how to have your cake and eat it too! Either a brilliant technique, or a very conservative recording engineer...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Intermediate Upgrade

Every mandolin I've owned except the first one was above budget
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Pava Mandolins

You should watch this.

bYObbCufvoo
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Bros at Red Rocks w/Gillian Welch

This picture is from the final tune of the evening. Front of house engineer told me Shure KSM(not sure of number) for vocals, all of them use a grace audio preamps, I think the Alix, But...
  25. Re: Brittany Haas and Chris Thile: “Crow Molly”/“Ship in the Clou

Along with the musician's birthdays, the fiddle tune segment is always stellar. Here's one I'm learning from James Bryan through the playing of Brittany. Brittany knows all the good tunes.