Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Samuel Charters's book A Trumpet around the Corner and mandol

While this has nothing to do with jazz, my grandfather played mandolin and gave it up in 1917 when he went into the navy for WWI. I visited a cousin in 2017 and she asked me if I knew what this...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Mandolins You’ve Owned

My first love: Gibson EM150, my first mandolin, which I painted an old boy's shed for. I still play it.

Schwab 5-string with dual humbuckers through a fender twin. Flange, chorus, fuzz,...
  3. Replies
    Views

I don't have any experience with modern high end instruments,

but I love my 40's Strad-O-Lin, and my ratty '13 F2, and my Mid Mo M-15, and my Octofone.... and ....

I guess I love them all...
  4. Replies
    Views

1. Girouard Concert A - hands down the best mandolin I've ever owned and it's not going anywhere! Has cured MAS 100%, in December I've had it for 4 years and in that entire time I haven't considered...
  5. Replies
    Views

Most of the mandolins that are my favorites are those that listed in my signature below. The only ones missing from that list are my 1920's asymmetrical Washburn/Lyon & Healy Pro A and my 1904 No.3...
  6. Replies
    Views

The first good one I bought 35 years ago has always been the best: A 1917 Gibson F-4.
    Strange how that goes. Perhaps the best guitar I ever had was purchased around the same time. I still have...
  7. Re: bridge recommendations for a Weymann mandolute

Hi Scot63, I've restored on Mandolute and have two more in line for eventual restoration. Here are pics of the bridges I've seen.

1) 201613 This is what I have seen on multiple Weymann...
  8. Re: bridge recommendations for a Weymann mandolute

As I recall the mandolute I used to own had a bridge that was similar to the long, thin, low, non-adjustable bridges normally found on bowl-backs. I'm relying on 40+ year-old memory, though.

I...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Identify a Tater Bug Mandolin

Mike..."taterbug" falls in there somewhere just South of "Gibby" as a virtual reproduction of fingernails on a chalkboard.

Gibby is certainly worse, but the margin is close.

There are others...
  10. Thread: Milton Avery

by Joe Bartl
    Replies
    Views

Milton Avery

Milton Avery's art sometimes featured mandolins-- and you can find at least two previous instances of Avery's art being featured in MC threads. However, no one has ever posted his "Mando-cello...
  11. Re: Are you interested in a new method for the mandocello?

Florian,

The only mandocello methods of which I am aware were written over a century ago, Bickford included. I think a new method, while it would be a far cry from best-sellerdom, would be...
  12. Are you interested in a new method for the mandocello?

Dear mandocello players,

Perhaps you know my projects on ko-fi.com, where I write some new books for mandolin, mandocello, mandola and octave mandolin.

I got a couple of emails asking about a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Recording through the Bach Cello Suites

I submit for your perusal, critiques, and perhaps even enjoyment, what I have so far in my 2020 new year’s resolution: to record the complete Bach Cello Suites on mandolin, publishing each next...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 1913 A1 thoughts

Both my dad and my former white face A-3 were born in 1919. I played that mandolin for many years then got my 23 A2 and sold the 19. I should have kept it. Oh well. Now they are both gone, sadly....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 1913 A1 thoughts

I found my first mandolin, a 1917 Gibson "pumpkin top" A-1, in the attic of the house where my grandfather and great-aunt lived in Pike NY. We were clearing the house out to put it on the market; he...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Post Mortem

If I'd known how much fun it was to be in my 70's and retired, I'd have retired in my 20's...

Every musical instrument manufacturer's had ups and downs: Fender guitars when CBS owned the company,...
  17. Bach: Partita d-Moll, BWV 1004 – Allemanda

Sonatas and partitas for solo violin (BWV 1001–1006) by Bach is an exiting material to work on. The „Sei Solo a Violino senza Basso accompagnato“ (Six Solos for Violin Without Bass Accompaniment), as...
  18. Replies
    Views

Hartmann A Style Oval Hole

Here´s a short video of my german A Style mandolin. Mario Hartmann is a friend of mine and does build guitars and mandolins- in the evenings :D This one is from 2017.

What do you think about it?
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying on the rebound and gambling

Well, using the term "squander" is judging, at least a bit. Unless there's some actual improvement -- as estimated by an unbiased observer -- I think spending for the sake of spending, just because...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: It has finally happened (HELP!)

It's been happening to me for years. I think it's a fairly normal occurrence. :cool:

I will note that it has never happened to Chuck Norris.
  21. Astor Piazzolla, Verano Porteno - Summer - Jacob Reuven Mandolin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiBTwwe61Nc
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

1779 Johannes Vinaccia Mandolone

I especially like the music sheets attached to the back of the bowl. I wonder what piece that is. Mght have to try playing what I can see of it.
  23. Re: Looking for some info about a Maurer mandolin

Fair play to you. Nice mandolin.
    I have a reputation around here as being a "doubting Thomas" in regards to the knee-jerk Larson Brothers attributions to certain label mandolins, Mauer among them....
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Merrill aluminum bowl back on reverb.com

It's expensive. The price tag in that photo says $750! Someone's dreamin' . . . I recently bought one of those in an auction in UK for a lot less than that. Here's some photos
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Bruno bowlback mandola

I got this one, and it arrived today, all in good shape. Heavy playing wear, but solid condition and no real damage.

First impressions: good instrument, standard turn-of-century tenor mandola,...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4