Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a bridge

The other nice thing about zero frets is that (within reason) its difficult to cut the slots in the nut too deep. If you possibly can, though, deepen the slots with the nut off the instrument. Royal...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Epoxy pore fill and sunburst

Cured epoxy is very unlikely to take up dye in any great quantity, and certainly not at the same rate as the wood. I've worked with epoxy a lot on boats, but I'm not sure it would be my first choice...
  3. Thread: Douglas fir

by JimCh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Douglas fir

Not only that, but it's a line artificially drawn at a point in time. Go back in time far enough and species merge, go forward in time and they split. And sometimes even split and merge again...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready built electric mandolin necks?

I think the market is probably too small to be interesting... As it is never cost effective to home build an instrument against getting a decent one secondhand home building must be about the journey...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready built electric mandolin necks?

Good luck: I didn't find one here in the UK so I gave up and made one.

As of now I'd say it was easier than I expected, but I might change my mind about that when the instrument is finished and I...
  6. Thread: Hybrid electric

by JimCh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hybrid electric

I shouldn't worry too much about the neck yet, see what it's like when in action. And I imagine at our level of sophistication you could do a certain amount of correction on the frets, even if they...
  7. Thread: Hybrid electric

by JimCh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hybrid electric

Being just as inaccurate with a hand drill as you, I worked out a way to get my bushings accurately located. See this....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric Mandolin Build Help?

It does seem to me that a 4 string mandolin is veering towards ukulele turf... I suppose the contrary argument is that the extra strings can be simulated with electronics, but I spent the money on a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Deterioration due to closed case

That's going to be a big search, getting worse with time. All plastics deteriorate with time and usually sunlight makes it worse. But I understand museum creators have huge problems trying to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: First attempt at heat bending: questions

You should be able to bend without scorching at all, so it sounds as if you want to dial back that torch a good bit.
    This beginner with minimal gear uses a hot air paint stripper gun, but even that...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Early stages of my experimental semi accoustic mandolin. Heavily on a budget using stuff i have lying about.
    The neck/centreblock assembly is laminated maple and sapele, the truss rod slot...