Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

Playing it slowly is the obvious solution. The trick is to make "slowly" seem like the right tempo. Think Reggae or give it a heavy backbeat. Make it groove at a slow bluesy tempo. Overdo the swing...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

That depends upon the speed of the quarter notes. Tremolo is fast repetition, the actual speed is variable.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Bacon banjo-Mandolin

So, use extra-light mandolin strings. You don't waste the extra length, and they are probably cheaper. That is what I use on mine, which I play on a weekly basis at an Irish session.
  4. Re: Curiosity --- anyone ever try using a Dunlop Jazz III pick?

I use the Dunlap Jazztone large round tip 207 for all of my mandolin family of instruments.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Little help? Henderson's Recordame

The relative major of Cm is Eb, not Ab.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: musical notation question

"Tie" is the correct term, not "bow".
  7. Re: Is it true that Frank Wakefield can talk backwards?

Steve Goodman has a great song called "Talk Backwards", where he reverses the order of the letters. I highly recommend it.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

I have been told by many adult students that one of the big draws of lessons is the pressure they feel to practice and learn, since they are committing time and money.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Second chord in Old Home Place

The B or B7 (in G) is a secondary dominant if it leads to the Em (vi). If it slides up to the C, it is called a "chromatic lower neighbor". That's quite a mouthful, but it's a cool chord.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical music recommendations

Remember that you don't have to limit yourself to music written for mandolin. Violin and flute music can work fine.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing strings

Piano strings don't get oils on them and more important: they don't get dents from being pushed against the frets.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: String numbering

The E strings are highest in PITCH, which is what's important. I hold my mandolin so that the neck is parallel to the ground. Going up the neck doesn't get closer to the ground. Going up the neck is...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: white rabbit / molly tuttle

I sing "Lather" on a regular basis. What "cocaine references" do you mean? I guess "laying drumsticks on either side of his nose, snorting the best licks in town" could be taken as a double entendre,...
  14. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Their progress was not hindered by learning to read music and tab. Their progress was hindered by not listening and paying attention.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Unusual Instrument at a Jam

I have played the typewriter solo with an orchestra for Leroy Anderson's "The Typewriter". We went to a flea market and found the loudest old machine that we could.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Woke with a chord question

"Voicing" just means the vertical order of the notes in a chord, and is applied to both complete chords and partial chords. You are describing "partial voicing", which is a great technique,...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Woke with a chord question

The notes in a rootless Cm7 are Eb, G, Bb. That is an Eb major chord, not an Edim triad.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I round off my bridge or stop touching it?

I have rounded off the "corner" of the bridge on several of my instruments. Having a sharp edge on the bridge is one of my pet peeves.

I played several instruments at Mass Street Music last...
  19. Re: Why are some songs not written in the key they are in?

Yes, but in this case the key signature is not in the proper key. The tune is obviously in A major, but with the wrong key signature (no sharps). OP is not asking about transposing to a different key.
  20. Re: Vintage tuning for (formerly compromise) vintage instrument?

While A-440 as a standard post dates this instrument, circa A-440 was is general use before that. String gauge makes more difference than slight frequency variations.
  21. Thread: Circle of 5ths

by David L
    Replies
    Views

Re: Circle of 5ths

1st course to 2nd course is E5 to A4, which is a descending FIFTH, not a fourth. Octaves matter!
  22. Thread: Circle of 5ths

by David L
    Replies
    Views

Re: Circle of 5ths

A - D - G - C should be called a circle of fifths progression because each chord functions as the fifth (dominant) of the next chord. Am - Dm - G - C is a diatonic (within the key) circle of fifths...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Style Mandolin Question

I never wear a cowboy hat and always use the single shoulder strap. It puts the mandolin in a better place to play it.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Asleep at the Wheel

I've seen some great shows at the RedDog/OperaHouse/LibertyHall venue, including David Grisman, Finnegan and Wood, and Leo Kottke. My wife and I had our first date there in 1974.
  25. Thread: Pick Edges

by David L
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Edges

They are hiding out with the unmatched socks.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4