Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: David McLaughlin Style

David is still participating in Chris Henry's Monroe Lineage Workshops. For every song learned (2x month) he submits a video playing it, talking about it. I am fortunate to have participated in the...
  2. Replies
    Views

He's very good at playing the changes while referencing the essential melody. The way to learn it is to transcribe his solos like that and analyze what he's doing relative to chord tones, melody...
  3. Replies
    Views

He’s rocking out with bluegrass improvisation. It’s based on scales in the key of the chord changes.
    It comes from fluid understanding of scales and chords and blues/bluegrass specific scales,...
  4. Replies
    Views

I forgot to mention that there are a couple slow downer apps I use to learn tunes/songs. One is Amazing Slow Downer for audio the other is one called Audiostretch that a fellow Cafe member turned...
  5. Replies
    Views

Murphy Method has David McLaughlin dvd. Might be worth looking into.

Adam
  6. Replies
    Views

Such a cool song! He is a super nice guy, I'd contact him and have him teach you what he's doing.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson String Height

Per my post above it should be 2/64 on the E and 3/64 not 32 on the G. I usually measure in 32's and didn't make the change when I typed it, sorry.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: How Is This Played On The Mandolin?

Yes, at least for the first line:

I'd rather be in some dark hollow...mostly around a D note.
  9. Replies
    Views

If a carved top mandolin with a 13 3/4" to 14" scale will not play cleanly with 4/64" between the top of the 12th fret and the E string and 5/64" between the fret and the G strings, the instrument...
  10. Replies
    Views

sblock, I do the same thing--use my CT55 as a feeler gauge. Mine is set so the pick doesn't have enough string contact to hold it there. The Heiden still plays like buttah.
  11. Replies
    Views

I have mine setup low, but I wouldn't do it this low for everyone as it can get finicky with humidity changes. I am willing to do what it takes to keep it low. It is just showing the line at 2/32 for...
  12. Replies
    Views

As a rule of thumb, I like my action at the 12th fret to be just high enough to slip my BlueChip CT55 pick between the fret and strings, making light contact. The idea of using your favorite pick as...
  13. Replies
    Views

I have no idea of what Gibson's current specs might be, but the specs I use in my shop are 3/64" to 4/64" between the 12 fret and the bottom of the E strings, and 4/64" to 5/64" between the 12th and...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How Is This Played On The Mandolin?

Here you go:

xequbytrS3s

Basically, he's playing scalar patterns revolving around the melody. The song is in G, so where the vocal is "..be in some dark hollow", be is an open D note (3rd...
  15. Replies
    Views

I hear "as low as you can go without buzzing" from most people....................:redface:
  16. Replies
    Views

Butch, Dale, Don Wayne - Soldier's Joy

Not sure the community has seen this, but it is very great, with 2 of my fave pickers having at it. RIP B.B.

33nXqPRV7zs
  17. Replies
    Views

Tab Reader's Guide to Standard Notation

Here's an revised copy of John McGann's Guitar and Mandolin Tablature Reader's Guide to Standard Notation. I just edited it to get the pages in correct order.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New Stelling S5Q

I wanted this post to be a good spot for those researching Stelling Mandolins. With that in mind I want to include that; NO Stelling Add was placed in the 2007 issues of Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: New Stelling S5Q

I just received a copy of Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine. It's the March 2005 Annual Instrument issue. Inside their is a six page write up on The Stelling Banjo Works. Everything is covered here from...
  20. Replies
    Views

Sam and Tim Stuck at the Airport

Hope this link works for ya.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=747066615332157

A bit of background "Tim O'Brien posted: A bunch of bluegrassers post Rockygrass had boarded the plane at...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Shifty Trader from eBay?

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with this. The seller hasn't done anything wrong that I can see. We'll just shut this one down.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Reliance on scales

The "trick" of a good break is that where ever it goes, whatever it does, it should be obvious that the performer knows the melody, even when departing from it.

What makes a break boring, IMO, is...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Reliance on scales

Dear Drum58,
    You needn't worry about overplaying scales in your improv because you spend a bit of time learning, and learning them is definitely the thing to do.The fact that you pose the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: David Mclaughlin

Hello and thanks for the kind words, people. Yes, I do like the way old dead strings sound on this particular F-5, but not with every brand of string. Some strings sound really bad or fall apart...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: My Gibson Master Model Story

Well Lynn Dudenbostel, Randy Wood, Wayne Henderson are popular choices......I like Will Kimble also.....

and there are a number more I am sure