Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The way we all go

The Italians have an expression: "Dolce far niente". "Dole-chay far nee-entay". It roughly translates as,
    "The sweetness of doing nothing". In my estimation, very necessary in our lives from time to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: fret sizes

It would seem sensible to select frets small enough that when you "touch bottom" behind the fret it hasn't stretched the string to the point of going noticeably sharp. I wouldn't want to have to...
  3. Re: From a really good to really great mandolin... what happens?

Only my opinion of course, but this is what I would call a great mandolin (mandola).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_hTMelx8vo&list=WL2E079759DCC6B6F4

TDC/
  4. Replies
    Views

Thile in the WSJ

Anybody see the nice review of Bach performances by Thile in today's WSJ? (Fri. 10/25)

Thomas/
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Simmon wood

My nephew builds antique reproductions that The Philadelphia Art Museum sells, and he too buys logs. He has an interesting way of reducing the size and thickness of the lumber he needs. Often,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: a work around with my mandolin

You also need to correct the meter.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Black Joke

Love the parakeet. They love human companionship and attention. Bet he loved the mandolin playing. They like to be right in the middle of things.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Ways to sneak a mandolin in the house ?

A few have mentioned that this obviously humorous thread is prompting posters to seek the serious side. I think the reason we are is because the whole idea of having to be dishonest in order to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Fender mandolins

Hey! Wait a minute! I resemble that remark. Don't compare my $40 dollar Rogue (after the discount) with those junk Fenders! I take my axe very seriously.

T.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: My favorite photo of a guitar player

Tal Farlow!!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile and EXPs

There's only one reason a professional changes equipment. Enough $$$$ or other inducements.
    Does anybody seriously think that he did it because the D'Addarios are better?
  12. Re: Learning from tabs versus standard notation - thoughts?

Cheryl W. said, "I learned notation (on guitar) starting at 10 years old and I have never really liked it. When I found out about tablature, I took to it right away. It is clearer to me and I like...
  13. Re: Learning from tabs versus standard notation - thoughts?

Can a person play a tune from tabs that is totally unfamiliar to them? Having never heard it, I mean?
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Blocks and no progress

Exactly right! I mean EXACTLY right!!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacobson #16 w/ TI strings

A very pure-sounding instrument! Solid luthery and a finish to die for! I keep Arik Kerman mandolins as my ideal, and the sound of your #16, if computer/video/cheap headphone sound can be a reliable...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The days of deals

There it is in a nutshell.

TDC/
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking a Darker Sound

Right. Got it. I guess less expensive mandolins only sound better on MP3's, and that perhaps the true fullness and color of the $5,000 ++ mandolins simply don't record as well on those cheap,...
  18. Re: Solo mandolin Monroe style with vocal on my Gibson VFern

Okaaaaaaay! (Are you in your bedroom closet by any chance? Hey, not that I was ever hiding out there or anything . . . .just askin')

T.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bush for Senator

Why don't you stop already! We are all too close to the times in which recent political history has taken place, and we can't have any true perspective on what longer-term history will reveal. ...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: How often do "Pros" practice?

Luciano Pavarotti told the story about when he was almost ready to perform in public, but hadn't yet and was still studying at the rehearsal halls at La Scala. He said he was bone weary of studying...
  21. Re: Old Mando Players never die,they only smell that way!

Dear Jim,
    If you plan to give away any mandolins in the near future, I know a very deserving recipient - namely me. :)

signed,
    Thomas.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Wavy grain on a mandolin top

The reason I said that for mandolins the wide or narrow grain doesn't seem to matter much is because so many quite expensive mandolins ore offered with really slashy-grained tops. While pretty from a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Wavy grain on a mandolin top

In the woodworking business that is called 'slash grain'. It is produced by cutting slices off a log as though you were cutting slices off the side of a sausage instead of across the end.
    The other...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: How Come they don't have mandolin jokes?

Sure, I can. Eigenvalues are when Eigen mandolins go on sale, and "eigenvectors" is misspelled. It was meant to be spelled, "Eigenplectrums", which are the free picks they give out when they have an...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: How to get voicebox back in shape

Yeah, but don't go out on stage until you pee.
Page 1 of 2 1 2