Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Parlour King 8 string OM

Been on with a pair of Parlour Kings' recently - the one relevant to this part of the forum is the guitar on the left. Its a torrefied sitka and mahogany 8 string Parlour King octave mandolin. 22"...
  2. Replies
    Views

More love for Pomeroys

Here’s my 2018 Violin Style A and a song called “Someday.” I find this instrument as much a pleasure to look at as it is to play. Unfortunately, this recording doesn’t do the mandolin the justice it...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Pomeroy Oval

Well I didn't do the tune or the mandolin justice but here's a Norman Blake tune for you on Pomeroy #264. Glad to hear from other Pomeroy owners!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R4vKdObRA
  4. New Session King guitar-octave mandolin on the bench

This is the third instrument for Jim, who plays in Australian band "Midnight Oil." Its a Session King, guitar bodied octave mandlin with mahogany back and sides, and a torrefied sitka soundboard.
  5. Replies
    Views

Reuben Sandwich

Taking a swing at this finger-twisting Jethro tune. I was inspired to learn it after hearing the Jordan Ramsey and the Carlo Aanzo versions on youtube.

https://youtu.be/2ADkdLW6n1o
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: "Perfect" Scroll?

I think this guy's scroll and overall aesthetics are some of the best.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Wrapping up the finish details, but it is close enough to show off a little. Macassar ebony, Ted Davis red spruce, one piece 20 year old Michigan maple back, hollow scroll bound in curly maple....
  8. Replies
    Views

Well it's been a while since I've built an instrument. Still has a bit of finessing to go, the finish could be rubbed out, the bone work refined, a replacement E (on order from Aquila) but it plays...
  9. Replies
    Views

Not really a picture of Christmas cheer.

But, sometimes it is better to start anew and not try to "fix it." A key part of build progress, I've learned, is to know that point and not...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Great story - and it looks like you were really have fun with it too which is what it's all about!
  11. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

I have the other side of the problem.
    I can't let them go unless they are ripped out of my hands covered in claw marks. Even the not so good ones that might have some nebulous sentimental value. So...
  12. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Mark, I believe the former owner has a few Nuggets and some other pretty high end mandolins.
  13. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

. . . and the Tim O'Brian mandolin too!

f-d
  14. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Can you let us know what the owner bought instead with the money he got. Another Girouard mandolin perhaps?
  15. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Thanks for sharing that. That's a wonderful story.

Jamie
  16. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

The one that got away from me was a no frills Breedlove Premier OF (2014). For a long time the best and loudest mandolin I had owned. Sold it to make room for a new build that turned out to be a real...
  17. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Wonderful story - so glad that all worked out! Your original post about wishing you'd never let it go had gotten me started wondering about instruments I wish I'd hung on to. What a rare thing to...
  18. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Great story and I think the one you sold it to and bought it back from deserves a round of applause. Just confirms my opinion that mandolin players are special people.
  19. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Thank you for sharing this story. It is so nice to hear good news when our media bombards us with bad news.
  20. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Great story! Thanks for posting.
  21. Replies
    Views

So I'm not the only one that's sold an instrument only to regret it later. :)

Thanks for posting a great story. Pix are excellent.
  22. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Glad you found it Mark. It looks like a real beauty.
  23. Replies
    Views

Wow what a story. And thank you, Mark for sharing it in such a nice way. The icing on the cake for me are the pictures.

I wonder if other instruments have made it "home" to their earlier owners?...
  24. Re: Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Great story about musical priorities and the mandolin community, and it's icing on the cake the mandolin found its way back.

I feel kind of the same way about a mandolin I sold a few years ago,...
  25. Re: Let's see your odd sound holes and side ports...

Thanks for the kind words, I always get myself in trouble messing with new shapes for sound ports. It takes a lot of time to figure out something which is actually original in appearance and still...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3