Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Your favorite Tab tune books?

I have several of Allan's books/CDs for Medieval and Renaissance music. Has others across genres.

Jamie
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Sweep picking on mandolin?

I’m sure there are many more examples but one I like is in this video of Emory Lester, at about 1:00 he does all downstrokes thru the chord progression, pretty cool sound.

FY3aURBM0Og
  3. Noam Pikelny, making banjo attractive again...

Ok, so attractive may be pushing the limits of hype, but this promotion is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/W8YFuhVVZX8
  4. Replies
    Views

Thank you, Mando Cafe!

Im not sure that this is an acceptable topic in this section of the forum, but I just want to say thank you to the users and admins of the site! My other primary instrument (bass guitar) has a forum...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New Jam in Seattle

Oh, I've got spare mandolins I can bring. Can't help with the rest, though.
  6. Re: Breakdown in communications - oddball response - am I nuts?

No sympathy.

Try running a large web site. You want to be treated rudely? You haven't seen rude.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Hypothetically speaking, would you ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6d8eKvegLI
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Scientific proof for an instrument "opening up"?

Tenure...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: More options coming...

To say nothing of the fact that a large majority of the mandolins discussed on this forum are Gibson A and F model copies.
  10. Thread: Speed neck

by fscotte
    Replies
    Views

Re: Speed neck

Grab it by the neck, then move your hand really fast until the finish rubs off.
  11. Replies
    Views

Hits a little too close to home

No doubt this has been posted before, but it is new to me.

12. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP: Dr. Ralph Stanley

"When you go walking after midnight" - a fantastic bluegrass song with such a great bluesy feel. RIP
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Science of Sound?

:popcorn:
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: When to play beyond 7th fret?

As a folkie, they are there to collect dust :) Don't do chords, that's what the guitar, squeezebox &c. are for, don't go above that B, never met a tune that did. Although there's always the infamous...
  15. Replies
    Views

Easy site-specific Google search reduces frustration :)

Site-specific search at Google ought to significantly reduce your frustration levels. :) I use it all the time, it's great. Here's how it works:

Go to google.com and search using the following...
  16. Replies
    Views

Funny, but Good Advice

This made me laugh.
  17. Replies
    Views

My Prince Story

I appreciate Prince for his artistry, and he was a good guitar player. I wasn't a great fan of his music, but I appreciated his work. I have my own Prince story. When we lived in Minnesota many years...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: " Opened up" question

My experience is that unless I play mine faithfully each day, they tend to sound like crap. Oddly, the longer I go without playing, the more they sound like crap. I'm not sure what to make of it?...
  19. Adjust tele style bridge height on Saga kit emando

Hi all. Anyone have experience with the Saga electric mandolin kits? I purchased one recently and the bridge is just a tad too far off to be intonated properly. I know I could fill and re-drill the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Is GDAE tuning is a random invention?

. . . and sometimes I use a capo.

f-d
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The Mandolin Store

Speaking as a business owner that spends over $10K on postage a year, the problem of understanding isn't from The Mandolin Store, it's your own expectations. Businesses have the right and duty to...
  22. Thread: Bach To Bach...

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bach To Bach...

I think you are overlooking another possibility. That folks might pursue playing Bach, not to improve technique or expand repertory, they might in fact be pursuing Bach because they always wanted to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Rogue mandolin conversion (so far)

I know, I know! Why waste my time and energy on a Rogue?
    Because I like to mess with things and try to improve them, that's why. Plus I was bored.
    Anyway, after about 6 progressively better...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Should "A" be 440 Hz or 432 Hz

That video is useless for comparison. Set your electronic tuner to A=432, and retune your mandolin and compare in person. Fun experiment. If you like it and never play with anyone else, you can keep...
  25. Re: BB King Is Gone (But The Thrill Of His Music Remains)

Another thought on B.B.
    So often when there is talk about B.B. King, it is focused on his Guitar playing. Rightfully so.
    Also, he was simply a glorious Singer, from a whisper to a scream. He could...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3