Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Perhaps you are just "opening up."
  2. Thread: 4 string mandos

by pelone
    Replies
    Views

4 string mandos

I have just recently finished builds on three mandos...a recent post what if any four string instruments were out there----to builders crafting 4 string I offer this encouragement. I find the four...
  3. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

I get tired of folks denigrating ALL mandos made overseas. The Eastman/Breedlove and other makers can be outstanding. Mandoplumb (above) nails it on the head...one has to play several to find that...
  4. Phantom notes played by violins (mandolins)?

A musical sound once thought to be heard only in our heads as a quirk of the ear is actually real. Violins, and especially higher quality and older instruments, can produce them more strongly. ...
  5. Replies
    Views

Salem, Oregon JAM, April 1st.

Oak Grove Jam---April 1, Saturday at 4:00 Bluegrass/Newgrass/rRock/Gospel/Americana/Folk/Blues/Country.
    Acoustic no amps. All are welcome.
    Open door to all who want to gather to make/enjoy music.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson J45 top repair

IMHO---Irishmando's guitar is in relatively pristine condition if compared to Willy Nelson's "Trigger." It now has the honorable well earned patina that makes it more desirable to some.
  7. Replies
    Views

Salem, Oregon JAM

Starting up our monthly JAM on March 27th at 5:30 Oak Grove Grange. We have been on hiatus waiting for healthier times--we are ready to play music again. Bluegrass/Newgrass/Country/Gospel/Blues no...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Friend of the Devil

Wow---played and sung with confidence. You have a distinctive voice and I particularly liked the refreshing breaks . I hope that you continue to post songs.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to Play the Mandolin

I play for an audience of one-me. When I do play at jams I chop on the 2 and 4 and sing harmony. I have also adopted the B.B. King method ....play the instrument and don't sing or sing but don't...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Shaping an archtop

Nice-----did you shape to illicit a recurve? What tailpiece have you selected---your excellent video did not show the tailpiece. It appears that you used cedar for the top.
  11. Replies
    Views

Tuning Uke to GDAE--Success!

Success---acquired a set of Aquila Nylgut Uke strings (Soprano Fifths) and am now able to play with mando chords. They sound great and the E string holds its tuning. The scale length of the soprano...
  12. Re: Salem,Oregon-Bluegrass/Newgrass/Country/Blues/Americana

WE are getting a good turnout for the Sunday Jams at Oak Grove Grange---we meet again on the 9th of February and then again on Sunday the 23rd. Refreshingly, all genres have been welcomed.
  13. Salem,Oregon-Bluegrass/Newgrass/Country/Blues/Americana

We meet every other Sunday at Oak Grove Grange at 5:30pm----2680 OakGrove Rd. NW

January 26, February 9, February 23, March 8, March 22.

All are welcome to play whatever moves your soul.

For...
  14. Re: Local spruce + tonewood suppliers in the Adirondacks?

Try Gilmer's in Portland, Oregon for a huge selection of woods. Their spruce is quality.
  15. Re: how many of you venture up to-or beyond the 18th fret ?

That its unmarked territory and should be approached with caution----"monsters live here." I cannot generate a clear note that far up the neck---sounds like tinkling glass.
  16. Re: If you could ask Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers one quest

Ask if he ever considers "playing a song at either a slow or moderate pace---one that allows the listener to embrace the melody?"
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Fabric Softener for bending sides

Graham----after checking the label----it is ALL Fabric Softener, "Fragrance and dye free"---bought it at local grocery market in the laundry and detergent section. I squeegied th liquid off with my...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Fabric Softener for bending sides

Thanks and a shout out to bennyb for leading me to the correct thread. I had used SS fabric softener a year ago on some highly figured maple for the ribs of a mando. I found that it seemed to work...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron Pancakes:  How many models?

Fatt-dad...."The Thread" went on and on for 47 pages? Is that some sort of record? If I found a pancake for 300 dollars I would snap that puppy up!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: No Power Tool Mandolin

I originally was supportive of the OP but...as John Paul Sartre said..."The only reality is action." I was intrigued by the OP at first and was lured along by the naivety of the topic---it has grown...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: No Power Tool Mandolin

What a lovely bird house! I, at one time, was stubborn enough to persist in using exotic woods for a mando top other than those recommended to me by many of the expert builders and members of...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Parrota Wood--help in identifying

Brilliant response---the Mandolin Cafe members are incredible! I have found the wood to be dense and it has a wonderful honey with brown tone. Looking forward to getting it home to use in some Uke...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Quirky little idea

Good Idea! But, I kind of think that this is pretty common---you know, using a book matched maple back with a spruce or cedar book matched top. Perhaps I am missing what your intentions are--could...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: F style with broken scroll -- couple of ?s

CA glue---speed up the curing by zapping it. Or, elect to leave it off entirely and allow it to show it's inherent "distressed" aura.
  25. Re: (NMC - yet) Finishing schedule and materials for kits

You can feel confident using a wipe on polyurethane----a nice sanding in between applications. One advantage while using poly is that softer woods that have pores can be made to "piano smooth" if...
Page 1 of 2 1 2