Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

There have been a number of ways and methods of reading/writing music that have come and gone over the years. Some of these are still used today. “Shaped notes” immediately comes to mind, but there...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: ArtistWorks for Old Folks

Music theory does nothing for one’s “playing”. When playing one does not have time to do the mental constructions that music theory entails. Music theory does have a great influence on how we plan...
  3. Replies
    Views

What Tempo?

I am pretty much a newbie. I have learned(?) about a dozen Scott’s/Irish fiddle tunes that I play at anywhere from 90 to 110 BPM. Mostly closer to 100. Some of my favorites are “Fishers Hornpipe”,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Big ol' baby looking for reassurance

Wow, there is a lot to digest in this thread. Firstly, I have bought from G.C. And still make monthly payments to them, so I do believe that they are a decent and honest firm to deal with. But...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

Let me ask you a question. Your ARE a beginner, right? Why are you concerned about what pick you are using? You should be concerned with learning scales, chords, melody lines, rhythm techniques and...
  6. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

IMHO the chances are about the same as you playing it A+++
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Budget Mandolin? Advice.

Ibanez seems to be getting a bad rap here. I have one, an F style, F hole. It came to me factory new and after a proper set up and string change, it plays just fine for me. I cannot emphasize enough...
  8. Replies
    Views

Happy New Year!

с Новым Годом
  9. Thread: N(tm)MD

by JiminRussia
    Replies
    Views

Re: N(tm)MD

I looked very closely at the Big Muddy, but elected to go with a Gold Tone Pancake mainly because of the zero interest financing that the big box on line store offered. What/can I say? I’m a sucker...
  10. Thread: new trend?

by JiminRussia
    Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

Why would this bother you? Are you being forced to read these postings?
  11. Thread: Ear Train

by JiminRussia
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Train

I posted just about the same thing in another thread, but is bears repeating. I “accidentally” discovered something that really helps ear training. Well, actually it is two things that working...
  12. Re: Looking for a damaged or ultra cheap mandolin

Go to the Goodwill website. They have a ton of mandolins at give away prices. With some judicious shopping you can find a good serviceable mandolin for about $20 + shipping. AWAYS check the shipping...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

Hmmm… Am I doing this wrong? I do own a capo for my guitars. I have never used it. It all started when I first started three years ago. Let me inject here that all of my learning has been self...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Can you say “PEDANTIC”?
  15. Replies
    Views

Why an “Entry Level” mandolin?

At first glance it would seem as if I have chosen poorly, but I have strategy! In my very distant past, too long and boring to,go,into here, I have owned and played some pretty nice mandolins, a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Why an “Entry Level” mandolin?

At first glance it would seem as if I have chosen poorly, but I have strategy! In my very distant past, too long and boring to,go,into here, I have owned and played some pretty nice mandolins, a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Back To It

From one prodigal son to another, welcome home. I took a similar path but for different reasons. In my case it was about 50% life getting in the way and 50% burning myself out trying too hard. I had...
  18. Re: Is it true that Frank Wakefield can talk backwards?

In answer to your question, Yes, Frank can back talkwards.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

Fiddle tunes are my forte and no, I do not play them fast, not only because I can’t, but because they sound better when played at a more moderate tempo. Fiddle tunes were written for a purpose, and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

I know exactly what you are saying. I had the exact same experience and it was at a barbecue restaurant. Six or seven guys with a variety of bluegrass instruments, guitars, one banjo a mandolin and...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: String advice sought

About six weeks ago I started a small test to find out whether I really preferred phosphor bronze or 80/20 string sets, whether I liked light gauge (12-53) or medium gauge (13-56) gauge strings and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable American Made Mandolins

Try here:
    Contact Mike for everything mando.

phone: 573-698-1010
    email: swingdog@bigmuddymandolin.com

Big Muddy Mandolin Company

600 3rd Street
    Rocheport, Missouri 65279
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

I’ll turn 77 in July and I only STARTED three years ago. I began this journey with the understanding that it wasn’t the destination that I was looking forward to, it was the journey. You are never...
  24. Re: Bought my First Mondolin Today - Would like some feedback.

Seatown7, please forgive my forwardness here, but as a “beginner” it is important for you to realize a couple of things. Firstly, there are no “beginner mandolins”. There are beginner players, but if...
  25. Re: The Change That I See in Bluegrass Over The Past 20 Years.

Yes we are on the same planet, and yes, I can count! Twenty years ago was when I QUIT PLAYING, not when I started playing. If you are interested in the time line, it goes something like this:
    Early...
Page 1 of 2 1 2