Search:

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing mandolins with a mandolin

I had just bought a Santa Cruz 000-12 fret guitar (many years ago) and laid it on my kitchen counter (for some reason). The back kitchen door was open, a breeze blowing into the kitchen. I was in the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Here’s one of the old tunes my dad (RIP) taught me on guitar as a boy.

https://youtu.be/C4zBWKSJ1Yg?si=h-5-5b4smWBggkH1
  3. Replies
    Views

I notice that when my dog (going through the teenager stage) gets overexcited and woofy, he sets off the guitar and mandolin that hang in my living room. The Fylde that's hanging there now does it a...
  4. Thread: The Four Seasons

by cjr
    Replies
    Views

The Four Seasons

Happy Friday,
    I'm working through recording my favorite piece of music, Vivaldi's Four Seasons. All mandolin parts are played on my Flatiron 1-N and the viola and portions of the cello parts on my...
  5. Replies
    Views

We had the same thing happen to us years ago. We were at Gruhn guitars and were trying out guitars. I played an old Guild that had a neck like a 2X4 but it was a cannon. It make so many guitars ring...
  6. Replies
    Views

Mentioning Nigel Tuffnel get's you a 212937

- - - Updated - - -

Because D minor is the saddest key.
  7. Replies
    Views

It's real. My Hardanger viola is based on sympathetic resonance. The understrings vibrate because I bow the top strings.

Most music stores take advantage of this. Instruments sound better there...
  8. Thread: Some Jigs

by Rick C.
    Replies
    Views

Some Jigs

I didn't post this at the time my duo's EP was released since it's not primarily a mandolin recording overall, but since this came up in a FB discussion this week...

Here's a link to a set of jigs...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD : New Mandolin Day!

I got the Goldtone OM800+

Current it has unison pairs, but may do octave pairs on the and D. I like the way it sounds.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

What does Fripp call his tuning? Is it "New Standard"?
    Basically its 5ths like a mandolin. So a LOT of King Crimson will slide right up an octave to mandolin easily enough. It's fun to think...
  11. Replies
    Views

I'm really digging this! :)
    Daniel
  12. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

I dunno...

I am home, calming down from a wonderful gig at a nearby bar/restaurant. My buddy and I were paid nicely by our Patron, and the lovely guests tipped us well in excess of $100.00 and,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Here's a rough mix of the latest, and it's ALL electric, all the time
  14. Replies
    Views

I got interested in electric mandolin not because I've heard it, but because I saw an ad for a 5 string in the back of Stewart-MacDonald back in like 1990. I'd been playing mandolin & guitar for a...
  15. Replies
    Views

@tmsweeney It had never occurred to me that mandolin could be successful in an Eno-like context so your piece above is a real eye-opener.
    Thanks!
  16. Replies
    Views

tmsweeney, you’re getting into some serious delay/FX there! I remember the first time
    I saw The Edge from U2 talk about his rig and approach, and my mind was blown. It sounds sometimes like he’s...
  17. Re: New OM day, and some questions about others

Picked up a Northfield OM...nice to be able to compare these in hand.
  18. Replies
    Views

_Ve6L69cyaY
  19. Replies
    Views

A brace of BRW's

I recently acquired this three-point oval hole BRW to complement my two-point f-hole mandolin that I have had and adored for over 5 years now. The oval is one of only two that I know about, and was...
  20. Replies
    Views

Lyon & Healy Quintet

Friends, here is a video of John Renbourn's Traveller's Prayer arranged for the Ecco Mandolin Ensemble, performed exclusively on Lyon & Healy instruments: a Style B, an asymmetrical style A, a...
  21. Replies
    Views

New Mandola Day - Northfield Quickstep

I decided I "needed" to go down the Mandola Road, so have been watching for one of these for awhile. This is Northfield Quickstep #4, purchased from Gryphon, and built 100% at the Marshall, Michigan...
  22. Replies
    Views

Rummaging through some old hard disks recently and came across this mandolin-&-guitar arrangement of Calace's Moto perpetuo, recorded in 2007 in a Shanghai hotel lounge:

23. Replies
    Views

I wasn't intending to make a video to post here, however I made a video for my Facebook friends for St. Paddy's Day. It turned out well so I put it on Youtube, and so maybe I should post it here...
  24. Replies
    Views

Norman Blake is 86

I just read that Norman Blake turned 86 on 10th March, and I would like to wish him well.

I saw him play on my first trip to the USA in 1977, and have always enjoyed him ever since.

Thanks for...
  25. Replies
    Views

The Dawg's loose again!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/1019-New-Music-from-Acoustic-Disc-Dawgnilo-Danilo-Brito-and-David-Grisman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WElqaeMP09o
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4