1. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

_Ve6L69cyaY
  2. Re: John Paul Jones - Big Ears Festival 3/22/24

Going to California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbOoDKhuCF0
  3. John Paul Jones - Big Ears Festival 3/22/24

Down to the River to Pray on triple neck Manson electric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKM3S5_Fxp8
  4. Thread: Hallelujah

by Colin Botts
    Replies
    Views

Hallelujah

Yes, I know, this song has been done, redone, used, and abused, and I should have left it alone. However, I decided maybe there was a little room left in the world for a solo mandolin instrumental....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Silk Mando Bag Used Inside the Case

Just a guess that maybe it was simply to keep rosin dust from the bows, typically stored in the lid, off the violin?

I’d think it would get to be a pain with the string ends at the tuners always...
  6. Blackgrass: Swamp Dogg Announces New Album

https://www.americanbluesscene.com/2024/03/swamp-dogg-announces-new-album-blackgrass-from-west-virginia-to-125th-st/

"Not a lot of people talk about the true origins of bluegrass music, but it...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Doc Watson

Bluegrass Life posted this on Facebook, and now that I know Doc has held a mandolin in his hands, I am assured it is a sacred instrument.

8. Replies
    Views

Re: Voyageur & French Canadian Folk Songs

Ranald, you are a wealth of information! Thank you.

I actually like the Ian and Sylvia version better and will learn that one. They really have that sound which was so prevalent at the time, ala...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Hi Folks! Here's the first two videos I ever posted. 13 Years ago, shot on a Sony 8 digital tape. These were shortly before I found the MC and got back into mandolin again. Thanks for the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Up Coming Trad Music Festivals Quebec

If you Google Rollo Bay Fiddle Festival, then go to the bottom of their home page, there's a spot to sign up to get news releases about this year's festival in mid-July. It's casual, not crowded,...
  11. Replies
    Views

The McGarrigle sisters sang and wrote many of their tunes in French. Here is a beautiful traditional one.

I can’t seem to embed this one, possibly because of copyright? But here is the link:...
  12. Replies
    Views

Indeed they do ... nice!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjoByUJbPQ

Of course, I may be a bit prejudiced by six decades of familiarity (even if I couldn't find a video real quick!) ......
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Some months ago This topic came up in a conversation with Marla Fibish - an internationally known Irish mandolinist. Her suggestion: “no need to play all the notes” - just play the important ones.
  14. Replies
    Views

I think when people say, 'to play fast one should practice slowly' there is an implied notion of a lot of assumptions, too many to describe in a short manner.

Many of these assumptions are now...
  15. Replies
    Views

La Bastringue vid lesson was cool. That goes on the list to start learning before I get to Quebec. Are my Quebec friends likely to know that tune? They are not into Trad music as far as I know but...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Up Coming Trad Music Festivals Quebec

Ranald,
    Thanks for the advice. Is there a way to set up notifications so that when one receives a reply, one is automatically alerted via email? That way, not to miss posts? I looked all over the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

When my friends are surprised that I have no recollection of some big hit from the 1980s, my standard explanation is that I spent the 80s listening to Norman Blake. And I guess I never stopped. I'm...
  18. Replies
    Views

Lisa Ornstein does have a links page on her website to a number of resources https://www.lisaornstein.com/useful-links-for-quebecois-music-and-dance/
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

Let's have some of Norman in his prime!

https://youtu.be/IA2CtM1B1Ak
  20. Replies
    Views

It can be tough to make sense of it all. But the idea that you have to play something perfectly without mistakes before moving on is a bit of a fallacy. I doubt many people can play things perfectly....
  21. Replies
    Views

Sorry Ranald, though Lisa is mentioned in Danse Ce Soir, she is not the author. Laurie Hart and Greg Sandell are the co-authors. And right now you can get 30% off if you order directly from...
  22. Replies
    Views

Ranald,
    Much appreciate that. I looked it up on Amazon and it is there as paperback and Kindle electronic. There was a sample but it appeared to be mainly history and not any music although the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks for arthritis

Have you considered trying a thumb pick? Might be worth trying.
  24. Replies
    Views

I'm just not trying to play all the notes, and in a way, fiddlers do the same.

Left hand speed can be the higher the less force is neccessary, and fiddlers have considerably less force to apply,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

I'd seen this thread back in December, but just recently came upon this nice piece from FBJ on Robin in 2011 -...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4