Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: I have been playing wrong all my life

It's very disorienting at first, but I found that once I committed to a change of technique, it really wasn't a very big deal to make the switch. Now, if you still have a feeling that your original...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: First post: help! should I buy this mando??

Excellent summary.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: First post: help! should I buy this mando??

It's a manufacturer's little white lie. If it just says "maple" or "mahogany", it's a laminate. If it says "solid spruce top", then it's steam pressed into an arch, not carved. "Solid carved top"...
  4. Replies
    Views

St Kilda mandolin

Finally managed to get to the remote Hebridean archipelago of St Kilda, and played a tune there, The St Kilda Wedding, on my old Sobell mandolin.

Here is our beautiful topsail schooner...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: brave enough to face the criticism

You don't need criticism at this point, you need encouragement, and a good teacher ASAP.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: 1880's? Photo of Kids with Mandolins

Plus...none of them knew any Homer and Jethro numbers.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: One tip that changed everything

When I discovered that I could play faster by tilting the pick rather than striking the string with a square pick stroke.
  8. Replies
    Views

On one of my very first paying gigs, an old timer told me, "NEVER put your beer on top of your amp, always put it on top of somebody else's amp." Very smart advice.
  9. Replies
    Views

Remember to breath

f-d
  10. Replies
    Views

FFcp=four fingers in closed position(s)

Being able to use the whole neck and fearless of any key has had the biggest effect on my playing.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Brand New Player - Pick Question

Here's the advice I give all my students. Go to a music store, buy about 10 different shapes, thicknesses and colors. Get a few standard teardrop Fenders in thin (ick), medium, heavy and extra heavy....
  12. Mandolins, Beer, Frank Solivan and Facebook, OH MY!

Hey gang!!

None other than Frank Solivan took a few minutes to do some picking for Mandolins and Beer Episode #5.

You can check it out here http://youtu.be/2srm1pFD9aE

Also if you dig...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile lesson

There's some good and useful stuff in there, even things I've seen no-one else explain.
  14. Thread: Thile lesson

by Astro
    Replies
    Views

Yeah, that looked like a fairly spontaneous off the cuff lesson from one of the worlds greatest players. It was free, so hey--nothing at all wrong with that. I am 2 1/2 years into it and I learned...
  15. Thread: Thile lesson

by AlanN
    Replies
    Views

I found it valuable. He talks just as much about body ergonomics as pick grip.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Downloading of tef reader

you can find lots of great tefs on mandozine.com a source i just recently discoverd. the above mentioned source also has a great download, the chord book. wonderful peice of information, no more...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Thanksgiving Thoughts

Thank you Scott for all that you do. The Cafe is a great place to drop in on and it is much to your credit that it is. I am a newbie here and will take this time to thank all who participate with...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Thanksgiving Thoughts

I am very Thankful for the gift of music that God has given us, and thankful for the Cafe. :mandosmiley: May each of you have a warm and Blessed Thanksgiving!
  19. John Paul Jones talks mandolins - great video

This is a terrific watch which I think people here will enjoy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d06qLgWBGaI
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: E strings volume ?

Isn't this true of all strings, not just the E? There always seems to be a place to pick where you get the most sound with the least effort.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: It's times like this!!!

Looking for that BIG sound? This one's a banjo killer!

(Heck, it could probably kill the banjo player, too, if wielded just so. :disbelief: )

On a similar note, :whistling: here's a kazoo so...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheap/low-end mandolins...

Very well said.. And exactly how I feel.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: On a scale of one to ten...

I am a 10. That doesn't mean there aren't many people who play better than me, but as I'm rating myself I can see no advantage in withholding points.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: On a scale of one to ten...

I appreciate all the comments. This is just for fun, not a serious self-evaluation. But, since there are so many levels of players here, from beginning amateur to heavy-duty professionals, I...
  25. Re: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His

So sad to hear this news and will be saying prayers for Stan and his family.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4