Search:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday - Django Reinhardt

Been awhile since we've wished the lad a happy birthday!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Non-mando question - singing

This got posted on another thread in another context, but I noticed something about it that is relevant here. Cross-referencing can be so useful.

The singer here sounds comfortable in the key of G...
  3. Replies
    Views

Mike Marshall and Sarah Jarosz

I always heard mandolin music was cool, and here that notion is affirmed

FX8vnFEGYEo
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Buff polymerized tung oil?

I used tung oil on most all the dulcimers i made in the past. It's been over 10 years since I made my last one. I buffed them with 0000 steel wool for a great finish.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Buff polymerized tung oil?

You can buff polymerized tung oil (I have some experience with Sutherland Welles, and I've finished several instruments with Waterlox, which is not polymerized tung oil but acts very similarly in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Interactive music theory tools

Magical collection of interactive music theory tools & visual references to learn music online for free

https://muted.io/

:mandosmiley:
  7. Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

Hey All,

My music teacher and I developed an Irish trad tunebook that we're putting out here for all to use. I know there’s already a few out there, but this one’s ours! It contains tabs and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Request for a few standards for jams

Kenny, those are certainly three good fiddle tunes to learn! Big Sciota is also a great vocal tune.

Here's some advice that may be helpful, take or leave it as you will ~

First, if you want to...
  9. Replies
    Views

A mandolin beginner’s journey.

Since a young boy, I have been fascinated by mandolins, violins and other stringed instruments. Inspired by the folk music artists of the early 60’s I started on guitar and became reasonably...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Charlie Robison

Before Bruce and Kelly split up they were living in our neighborhood in Austin. We'd see them in the corner Mexican restaurant all the time with the kids.

Used to hear Charlie gig around town...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Charlie Robison

Aha. Here to learn, as well as share the odd tidbit of info. I vaguely remember Kelly Willis from some leventy-seven years ago, during my other career as a music journalist. Her album "What I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

Bloody hell. :disbelief::(:crying:

There's plenty of mandolin content,actually. And I'll do what I can to provide some, and some context.

Besides the fact that the music scene he helped to...
  13. Replies
    Views

R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

Not a lot of mandolin content I suppose but he sure made his mark on American music.

https://variety.com/2023/music/obituaries-people-news/jimmy-buffett-dead-margaritaville-1235711632/

With...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: beginner mistakes--mine

The angle of your fingers is important. There are many videos on left-hand position and technique. Here's one by David Benedict of Mandolin Mondays.
  15. Replies
    Views

Meeting MC forum members

Being a confirmed and admitted musical instrument geek, I have visited a M.I. forum or three through the years (this being one), and in that time engaged in discussions that will form an impression...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

I have been told by many adult students that one of the big draws of lessons is the pressure they feel to practice and learn, since they are committing time and money.
  17. Replies
    Views

Accountability is a key aspect of taking lessons from a live human for me whether it's for mandolin or chess. If a teacher puts together a thoughtful lesson for me to work on I feel it's...
  18. Replies
    Views

My first mandolin experience extending from the mid 70s to the mid 80s was not very satisfying. I didn't get along with 5ths tuning at all -- I am not a violin player and really have minimal...
  19. Replies
    Views

Everyone is self taught.

One of the points Victor Wooten repeatedly makes in The Music Lesson is that his teacher says: "I cannot teach you anything. I can show you some things."

A teacher...
  20. Replies
    Views

On mandolin, I think the biggest help for me was to start learning a bunch of fiddle tunes, and most of what I learned from teachers was from mandolessons.com, though Brad Laird’s materials helped,...
  21. Replies
    Views

There is no versus, and those that think there is are going to limit themselves.

About me: I am, except for some workshops and recent on line coaching, largely self taught.

In my case looking...
  22. Replies
    Views

Great question! But it almost inherently means different things to different people, as we've all grown up (musically as well as physically!) in different eras, and had different learning materials...
  23. Replies
    Views

Self-taught vs. …not!

It’s the old question, who is self-taught vs. who learned in a formal teaching arrangement?

There are many pros, and many proficient players, and many “adequate” players who are, or claim to be,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: The Sight Reading Factory

A link can be helpful with this type of post https://www.sightreadingfactory.com/
  25. Re: Who can I thank for the O'Carolan Project?

Saw this initial post awhile back and never got around to replying. Thanks for the comments. Guessing most people on this site don't know this exists (or care, lol...), so here's the link for anyone...
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4