Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Michael Heiden

by tbaum
    Replies
    Views

Michael Heiden

After floundering around for a few years, I dipped into savings and bought a custom mandolin from Michael Heiden in 2017. Other specialty builders had wait times of at least a year, and he told me...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake Tunes

Reviving this thread for "Third Street Gypsy Rag" on a 1925 Gibson H1 Mandola and a 1987 Flatiron Festival

CbvkAciB8Vg
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin and Clawhammer Banjo duos

Maddie plays a lot of bluegrass but is pretty well known in oldtime circles too.

https://youtu.be/D3hCcT9cSyg

Several mandolin and clawhammer duos in this podcast.
  4. Replies
    Views

The problem with playing oldtime tunes/songs on mandolin is that too often it comes off as sounding bluegrassy.

Mandolin can be played in a manner where it does sound oldtime, but it requires a...
  5. Replies
    Views

There are a few posted on youtube, this stood out...

iy6A7gC5C0M
  6. Song Breakdown for Chinquapin Hunting - Bluegrass Version

Hey all,

I wrote up a song breakdown for Chinquapin Hunting - the bluegrass version as we've decided from another thread. You can see the full post here -...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What song is this?

That’s a great run through Clinch Mountain Backstep.
  8. Re: Going rate for an post-Loar 1920s Gibson A4?

[/QUOTE] I first became aware of out-of-tolerance fret spacing on old Gibson instruments a little over 20 years ago. Since then, I have measured quite a few of them; both mandolins and guitars. The...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Going rate for an post-Loar 1920s Gibson A4?

Actually, severely warped necks on 'teens A models are rare. The necks were generally quite sturdy, and usually hold up well unless subjected to overstringing, poor care, or adverse environmental...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Please define “intermediate”

At our Fiddle Hell Festival, whether in person or online, attendees self-assess their levels to decide what workshops and jams to attend. Here's what we tell them (and note that the same person can...
  11. 15 violin etudes by Russian composers

Originally these etudes from “Selected etudes for violin. Music school 1-3. “Muzyka”. Moscow, 1981” consist of only a melody, one single and sometimes a very simple voice and they are for first to...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Gibson A, AJr. A 2,3,4 Mandolis

This is an interesting discussion.
    Now let’s talk about the soundboard. The attached chart is what Gibson reportedly used to select the spruce tops in 1923. It has been posted before. It is below...
  13. Re: Learning to find the notes on the mandolin neck

Two thoughts, seemingly almost trivial, but they helped me thru your current stage of confusion:

1- When I was at your point on guitar (uhm, six decades ago?), learning "up the neck" first...
  14. Replies
    Views

Theory for beginners videos

I have started a new video series teaching aimed at beginners interested in learning music theory. The first 6 videos with PDF files (tab and music notation) are here:
  15. Replies
    Views

'When Mandolins Dream' Notation and Tab

Hey everybody! It has been a while since I last posted here but thought I would post a new transcription that I just got done with.

Here is the video link I transcribed the fingerings from:
  16. Chris Thile Transcription (Temperance Reel)

Hello everybody,

I've been working on figuring out the dusty end of my fingerboard (high up there on the neck) and decided to start transcribing solos that involved shifting positions. It looks...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Chart for notation to TAB

While reading older threads on a different topic, I came across this image offered by member Wayne Bagley in 2011:

18. Re: Any and All Punch Brothers Tablature or Sheet Music

I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I've been transcribing some Punch Brothers songs over the summer and thought I'd post a link for anyone who's interested. My primary interest has...
  19. Re: Exercises to loosen left hand fingers for fretting

In a similar vein, I was prescribed the following stretches when my tendons played up in my fretting hand and arm:

1. face the wall, stick both arms out parrallel to the floor and place both...
  20. Re: Exercises to loosen left hand fingers for fretting

I'm developing arthritis in the base of my left thumb and this stretch helps me a lot: Extend your left arm out to your side horizontal to the ground, place your hand on a wall with your palm flat to...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall Lessons Worth It?

Some advice: learn everything you can by ear, learn the chords of a song first, be able to sing the melody, find the melody on the mandolin, simplify the melody to just the core notes, fill up the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Technique

If I understand this correctly, you are moving the pick like a paintbrush, the tip of the pick always trailing behind the hand. For strumming with low to medium volume this may suffice, but to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Finger vs Closed Chords

I would say that not all four-finger chords are chop chords. Can you simulate chopping with a closed-position chord? Perhaps, but that doesn't make it a chop chord. A closed-position A-chord,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick direction and string crossing

The previous posting doesnt allow correct spacing of the letters. Here it is again:

D down
    D up
    A down
    D up
    D down
    A up
    repeat a million times
  25. Picking question - not on pick direction, for a change!

My fellow band members and I were practicing yesterday, and we started discussing the different techniques that each of us have, for holding and picking the mandolin / OM / Cittern. I've tried...
Page 1 of 2 1 2