Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Self Teaching

Self teaching, yeah I think it can be done. It just so happens I'm not a very good teacher. The first time around (trying) was before the plethora of resources we have now and that didn't go so well....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying from a luthier unseen and unplayed

It worked out great for me, my mandolin turned out o be everything I'd hoped for. I can't say that's the best way to do it but it certainly worked out for me.
    I thought about jumping on the...
  3. Re: do you collect picks what do you do with them

4. Replies
    Views

Re: the first ding hurts the most...

I guess aggressive picking led to my first ding.
  5. Re: Some variations on the Sorensen Sprite Two-Point

Congratulations John! Beautiful mandolin, you're going to have a lot of fun with that.
    All works of art, very nice.
  6. Re: Is it wrong to correct a poster's spelling or grammar?

I wouldn't correct people but I see where you are coming from. I think some people could get offended, I have seen it done though.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Both sounding good! I really like the Reel.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: a very nice Liza Jane by one of our own

I NEVER would have learned Ashland Breakdown if it wasn't for David's awesome videos! All great stuff, Thanks David for putting them out there.

Kris
  9. Replies
    Views

ACDC Bluegrass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc
    Found these guys on youtube, proof you can try anything with bluegrass instruments.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacobson #23

#24 is great, easy to play and great sound, love it.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacobson #23

Super nice, Michael! I know you are going to be very pleased. Love the Western look. Congratulations Michael, great work as usual Marty.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: New J Boviier A5 Tradition

Congrats, awesome looking new mandolin Mike! Enjoy it, I'm sure you will. Hope it brings you endless hours of fun. Nothing like a new one to kick up the playing time and enjoyment.
  13. Re: Can anyone decipher what my A string problem might be?

No, the new Jacobson is awesome, so much so that I been playing it so much the strings are totally shot. I just needed to play a back up until my new strings arrive. I'll check the nut on my...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Sentimental about your first mandolin?

My wife bought me my first mandolin so it's important to me. It's a Fender but I had it set up and still play it once in awhile. It's something I'll always have and play because she bought it for me...
  15. Re: New strings. How fast do you tune up to pitch?

I don't use a string winder but crank them up to pitch pretty much. Get it as close as possible using my ear and then use the tuner to get it where it needs to be.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Cord question

I have some chord books and pick up a lot of new chords while learning new songs. If you go to the top of the forum page and click on mandolin café you'll find lots of chords in the cafe's chord...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: My Soldier's Joy video and Tab

Good video Jake, very helpfull for someone who wants to learn this tune. If you are into bluegrass you should definitely learn Soldiers Joy. A fun one to play for sure.
  18. Re: Do you take your mandolin out of the house?

Mine have never left the house but are not gently used. I lost touch with the musical friends I had and don't have a lot of chances to go to jams. I have been content to play and enjoy my mandolin by...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin popularity

I like the fact that not everybody plays it. It can be our little secret what the most enjoyable instrument to play is.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Jerusalem Ridge

Hi Mark, I have that D being a C. So change that and you are all set. How's the song coming along for you?
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Jerusalem Ridge

I used that video and it helped. That video along with the tablature I had from a mandolin magazine made it much easier. I still don't have it up to speed but it's getting there. Good use of your...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Which one do you practice on the most?

I just got a new Jacobson so I play that exclusively. I'm sure I'll play the others again at some point but I don't think anytime soon. I'm getting to know my new one. It is also the best mandolin I...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting over.

I think only good things can come about with your playing if you take that approach. I certainly have to re think how I'm doing things from time to time. I only worked on lead playing for quite...
  24. Re: Do you care what happens to your instrument(s) once you're go

:)):)):))
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: So HOW BAD is the Fender?

My first mandolin was a Fender and gift from my wife so that alone makes it something to me. I got a good set up and still enjoy playing it. I have three mandolins and play and enjoy all of them. Get...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3