Search:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Question for members who have attended workshops/symposiums

I can't speak to anything close to you. But here in the New England-New York-Quebec area ..... Lynne and i have been to places in New York, New Hampshire, Quebec and Massachusetts. Mandolin Camp...
  2. Replies
    Views

a cool new Northfield F5S video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av-lGFd10fU
  3. Thread: Chop turns Sock

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chop turns Sock

Another tool in the tool box.

If all you have is a hammer, its all can you do.
  4. Replies
    Views

I try to vary my chop depending on the situation as others have said. I'm a bit out of practice playing with a band setting but just now getting back into it. It takes some practice and just time to...
  5. Thread: My New Duff

by NoNickel
    Replies
    Views

My New Duff

I have been playing a very nice BRW F5 for 3 years. I have gotten lots of positive comments on it and I have compared it against lots of the top mandolins out there and have never found another...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Acute MAS: Gil fever

Here's my Model ! played by a previous owner
    -Sl_VMeM1ng

The one that got away. I should have sold everything I had to buy this one. it was truly that good! THIS is what an exceptional...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Acute MAS: Gil fever

Let me help you stoke your Gil MAS a little.....

t0B2qTR8l6A
    This is relatively poor quality audio and you can still hear the depth of tone on that mandolin.

L4myG5pCSJw
    Some of the best...
  8. Replies
    Views

Jacobson Nautilus Black Tie Special

Here's a new one I just sent to cafe member Mike, who was very patient during the first, second, and third finishing processes this instrument went through. Turns out ziricote is a finicky wood to...
  9. Replies
    Views

More and more i am finding that less = more. Especially in a band setting a clean short chop on 2 and 4 beats a more filling accompaniment. Even in my trio w/ bass and guitar a sparser chop usually...
  10. Thread: Chop turns Sock

by Tobin
    Replies
    Views

I almost always do the same thing. I wot not whether it's 'correct' or 'allowable', or whether people secretly want to bash my brains in for it. But I prefer to get a little chord sound on the G...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you play a real song?! Ugh!

We wander, wander far afield from the OP's original situation, as she described it.

People who go out in search of opportunities to perform, for pay or not, have to -- for better or worse -- plan...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What is it about recording????

I'm still putting my finger on the vinyl for my slow down program and you want me to learn multitrack recording tecnniques!:disbelief:
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Self Teaching

You can teach yourself the things you know you need to learn. A teacher can tell you what you don't know.
  14. Replies
    Views

you know, after decades of playing, on my own, lessons, music school,
    I can only say this,
    to not have lessons is, imho, like reinventing the wheel, and, taking a while to figure out what is...
  15. Replies
    Views

Depends on what you're looking for. From a young age we learn from others how to do everything from sports to reading and writing. We go to school to learn a profession or trade and we generally...
  16. Replies
    Views

I started playing in June of 2014. I spent hours in front of a bunch of online and YouTube lessons, learned quite a bit. Got a bunch of 2-finger and a few 3-finger chords working, could run a few...
  17. Replies
    Views

I'm self taught on guitar. I started back in the days when the only choice was a guitar teacher or slowing down the LP on the turntable and playing the part over and over. I couldn't afford lessons...
  18. Replies
    Views

I have had less than 20 lessons and I have gone to some class workshops. In my limited experience, getting better means working on things you don't normally work on so lessons can seem pointless or...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Why I Don't Listen To Country Music.

I haven't listened to FM radio in YEARS. Thank goodness for satellite radio and a great cd collection. There's a LOT of good music out there. But you have to hunt a little bit for it.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Overpriced mandolins ...

Pricing is something that is sometimes hard for many of us to understand with mandolins as with many other things. The observation that, "this is a topic that has been discussed many times here"...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Overpriced mandolins ...

'Overpriced' is definitely in the eye, ear and wallet of the beholder. Vive la différence!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Any tips on keeping up with chord changes better?

Focusing on chord tones is a good idea.

If you don't have a list of songs that you want to improve on, make one. Then use various patterns to familiarize yourself with all of the arpeggios in...
  23. 128075

24. Re: Any tips on keeping up with chord changes better?

Lots of good advice above. Most everyone is advocating that you think key centers and patterns for the whole solo (i.e. using a G pentatonic scale for the entire solo), not specific licks for...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's hear you play your favourite Christmas Carol

Please be kind now :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1OhbWim2XY
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4