Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: bridge direction?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

In this one, the pinkish top bridge (like the OP's bridge) is backwards.

The middle dark blue one is correct according to Gibsons' original specs.

The...
  2. Re: Barney Kessel Playing A Gibson 12 String Mandolin?

You don't weld cuprous alloys, welding is strictly for iron-based alloys. And even silver soldering (AKA brazing, the correct term for joining copper-based alloys on a molecular basis) would yield a...
  3. Re: Barney Kessel Playing A Gibson 12 String Mandolin?

Who is "he?"

If this one has been around K'zoo, it may be a mate to Barney's, as Gibson routinely made prototypes in threes back then.

A-40-12. Now we have a model designation for it, anyway....
  4. Re: Why is it nearly impossible to copy Loar?

Norway spruce is a common name for Picea abies, the primary European spruce that was introduced to N. America early on, and was thoroughly naturalized by the 1920s. Even if Gibson had used it, it...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: SS Steward Mandolin

It's clearly figured mahogany, as advertised. Definitely not koa.

My 3¢. As you know, 2¢ gets you nothing these days.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn L&H Style C No. 2181 Mandolin

Check this: http://aultfamily.name/3651.htm

And this: http://bit.ly/2haL153
  7. Re: Barney Kessel Playing A Gibson 12 String Mandolin?

So you never saw his monthly column in Guitar Player magazine, Studio Log? It was always one of my favorite things about that magazine. GP used to archive them, but their website seems pretty dead...
  8. Re: Barney Kessel Playing A Gibson 12 String Mandolin?

No. Barney was a guitar player. Guitars have 6 strings. When you're a "can-do" studio musician as he was, and the call asks for a mandolin, an instrument like this will do the job. Six courses...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Sustainably grown tonewood?

Not quite. It's grained. Graining is an architectural trompe-l'œil technique that used blocks, combs and brushes. Artisans who were good at it could do a staggering amount of surface area in a very...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tool for filing nut slots

I think there is. I had to learn all this long before those nice nut file sets were even on the market. Have a look here.

At the very bottom of the page is a link to another page on the general...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: compensated bridges??

Then fix it. ����

Ideally you would check intonation up the neck starting with the open string, and then getting a correct note at the octave. The octave you can fix by tweaking the point of...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: compensated bridges??

http://www.lutherie.net/mandolin.bridge.compensation.7.jpg
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello Measurements

And here's a shot of a Greek picnic in about 1920, taken in Davenport, CA, about five miles from my house:

http://www.lutherie.net/greek.picnic.bella.vista.hotel.davenport.2.jpg

Who made those...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello Measurements

My Grachis has a scale of 28.5"—longer than most, which is why I said it hurt to play. String gauges are light: 10s on top, the wound ones are a 25 and a 40. I tune it like a mandocello sometimes:...
  15. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

Mount the caul and the prepared Formica patch on the clamp with masking tape or somesuch, and you won't have to reach inside at all. Let the clamp do it all. About 2/3 of the way down this page...
  16. Re: Grover? Gotoh? Schaller? Golden Age Mandolin Tuners?

The Stew-Mac tuners inexplicably are shipped without a trace of lubrication, and with the cog screws overtightened. Once you deal with those two issues, they work great. Assuming the holes in the...
  17. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=146551&d=1463757826

It's close, but I agree with fox, it should work. Don't let the pins touch the saddle.

But I'd still try the...
  18. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

No hijacking—this is very much on topic.

No grooves in the saddle! Very important. The strings are guided over the smooth saddle by the string ramps coming up out of the bridge pin hole.

Some...
  19. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

Yes, no comparison. Believe it or not, the first example I ever saw for such a bridgeplate repair was on a Martin 1-26 from about 1885. The string balls had pulled through the bridgeplate, then...
  20. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

Thin normal formica is fine for this purpose. I could mail you some if you like, I have a lot.
  21. Re: Grover? Gotoh? Schaller? Golden Age Mandolin Tuners?

A huge difference: one is worm-over and the other is worm-under. If you're making a mandolin from scratch, you need to lay out the headstock for one or the other. If you're retrofitting an existing...
  22. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

I've done this conversion a number of times and it's important to note that the stock bracing for the top is inadequate for the pull of those 8 strings. Martin tenors can take it, but Baby Taylors...
  23. Re: "Bear Claw" spruce vs good straight grained spruce

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haselfichte
  24. Re: "Bear Claw" spruce vs good straight grained spruce

I've known the German term haselfichte for a long time. It's simply the German term for what we call bearclaw.

Stefan Sobell makes incredible guitars with bearclaw Sitka. He has a whole model...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Pine For Bracing?

Yep. The Larson Brothers braced many of their guitars that way. The spruce (most likely Picea rubens) was the normal vertical grain, while the grain orientation of the rosewood sandwiched in between...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4