Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

NMD - A new Griffith Loar copy

This week I took possession of this fantastic new mandolin made by Dave Thormahlen in Corvallis Oregon. Dave is mainly a harp maker, but he makes a couple mandolins a year. This one is a copy of...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mark Knopfler's Mandolin

Jon Voight's car, anyone? :)
  3. The Flatt Stanley Incident at Fishing Rock Depoe Bay Oregon

Hi mando friends,

A couple of weeks ago we performed at the Oregon coast. We almost always forget to set up recording equipment, but this time someone from our audience recorded us and put it on...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing loss (NMC)

Here are a few threads on the forum about hearing aids - check them out. I got Widex Moment hearing aids this year and they make a world of difference, and I have had no trouble with them in any...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues Shuffle vs lead double stops

Can you post some audio clips? Would be easier for me to understand that way.
  6. Banks of the Ohio performed by the Flatt Stanley Incident

The Flatt Stanley Incident had a fun gig at Wolftree Taphouse in Newport Oregon on Sunday. Here is an audience video of Banks of the Ohio. Other videos available on your youtube channel. I just...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic phrases

I learned a lot from The Pentatonic Mandolin by Niles Hokkanen

https://www.elderly.com/products/the-pentatonic-mandolin

Cheers,

Rob
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles: Yesterday

This is freaking fantastic!
  9. Thread: Hearing aids

by RobP
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids

I got hearing aids this week. I'm 60, and I have had a high-frequency loss in my left hear for about 15 years. it finally got to the point that I admitted I needed help - it was a very hard pill for...
  10. Re: How would an Eastman MD505 compare with a Northfield M?

I would say if you can't play it ahead of time, make sure you get an trial period where you can try it out and return it (paying shipping cost, of course). I say this because I have an Eastman 515V...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: My album is out today

Wow Chris - this song is fantastic!! Congrats on the release... Did you have any physical CD's made?

Rob
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

Sometimes it does seem that way, but try not to let it torture you too much. You have said you bought the 514 because you want it - so dive in and play the heck out of it. The Eastman 500 series...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip CT 55 versus Dunlop Prime Tone 1.4

To throw in a ham sandwich, I like the Wegen M150s over the primetones. They don't have as much click for me. And, not a BC fan.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 305 & 315 blemished

You'll be happy in the short term, but you will still want the NICER mandolin, and then you will be farther away from getting it. I say keep saving for what you really want.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig bag for pancake mandolin?

I used one of the Eastman bags for a Big Muddy. It worked fine. I wish I bought another bag when the Mandolin Store had them for $15 though.. what a deal!
  16. Re: Wrapping strings around tuners too many times restringing?

Can you explain what you mean by "I put all my windings on before putting the string thru the hole"?
  17. Re: Thoughts on an Eastman MD-515 Mandolin as a first scroll

I had a similar experience. I bought a used-almost-new 515V, and sound-wise it is right up there with my Collings MT. I have posted comparison sound clips here before.
  18. Re: Trem got you stymied? Let your fingers do the cranking!

This is the funniest thing I've seen all day!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: SM57 versus SM58: What's the difference?

I use an SM57 for the mandolin and an SM58 for vocals when my band performs using our PA system. Both mics sound just great, but I'm considering getting a condenser mic for the mandolin instead. We...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to move up from my Eastman MD515

I bought a used 515V last after test driving a 515 in a local music store (which i would have bought if they hadn't sold it). I find it plenty loud, and it is now my main instrument - even over my...
  21. Replies
    Views

Flatt Stanley Incident on the radio!

My band the Flatt Stanley Incident recently had the opportunity to perform on KYAQ, community radio in Newport, Oregon. The whole show was recorded, and is available to stream on our website. ...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Strumming like guitar?

I stumbled across this video today. I would say Sir Paul does a fine job of strumming on this song. Amazes me that it was in tune right out of the box too! :)

23. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 515V vs Collings MT

But did you listen to the sound samples above?

Cheers

Rob
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Compare these 2 mandolin sound samples

I started a new thread with the answer here. Thanks for your feedback everyone!
  25. Replies
    Views

Eastman 515V vs Collings MT

I have played my trusty Collings MT for 9 years. A couple of months ago, I played an Eastman 515 std edition at a local music store and it really spoke to me. I thought about it too long, and it...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4