Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: “Washburn” vs “Lyon and Healy" branded style A mandolin valu

The way I understand it, Washburn was originally a product line of the Lyon & Healy company.
    Lyon & Healy was a vast enterprise, building many different kinds of instruments, operating retail stores...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Any experience with Gatti mandolins?

Just wanted to add, slightly tardy, that I just today received my new Gatti F5. The whole process was a pleasure, and Massimo was excellent to work with. He has a definite thing he's going for, which...
  3. Re: Just arrived: Bumgarner Selmer-style Gypsy Octave Mandolin

That's pretty darn cool. Deserves to appear here for posterity.

4. Re: Just arrived: Bumgarner Selmer-style Gypsy Octave Mandolin

Super instrument. Beautifully designed and built and the wood choices are excellent. Hope you enjoy it.
  5. Replies
    Views

Was Re: Puglisi Wood-topped banjo-mandolin

I used disc sander and sanded a bit of an arch in the rim, so the spruce summer growth rings, softer, were not sagging so much once I string it up.
    8" hoop.
    I now have Aquilla 1M (half set, 4...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Puglisi Wood-topped banjo-mandolin

I'm not suggesting that Puglisi might have been copying someone or anyone in regards to your curious manjolin.
    I don't really have much experience with these hybrids, beyond a single "Wolverine"...
  7. Replies
    Views

Easy Jazz chords

8. Replies
    Views

Re: Any experience with Gatti mandolins?

The Gatti mandolins were not built by Massimo but outsourced. Actual buider was Eduard Kristufek from Czech Republic who is still making mandolins under his own name or brand "Krishot". His...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: The Ernst: 1920's attempt at more volume

Well my good friends here might cluck their tongues about it, but I think it's muy coolioso, novel or not.

Interesting that Ernst was from Camden, NJ between the Weymann (Philadelphia) and the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Jug Band Music in New England

Had a close encounter with a Boston area jug band musician the other day when I sold a vintage exercise bike to a member of the Busted Jug Band. He's planning on making it into a seated, pedal...
  11. Replies
    Views

greg butler/ viper strut

I haven't heard Greg Butler mentioned at the Cafe. I know nothing about him except that he plays or played with a band called Free Grass Union. This lovely jazz piece came up on my sweetheart's...
  12. Replies
    Views

Sounds like a lot of fun, good luck with the project.
    I’m guessing one way to do it would be to associate the band with some other association(s). Street festival, something to do with food (!)
    And...
  13. Replies
    Views

Yeah, over 100 views and no replies ... That deafening roar of responses you don't hear is indicative of the level of interest here. :( I know only one other guy here who's ventured into this area,...
  14. Re: How to repair a gap between back plate and binding on 1914 A3

No, this is not an easy fix.

The correct way to repair it is to open the joint in the mis-aligned area, clean out old glue, fix any loose linings, and see if it will pull back into shape with a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Royall Tenor Resonator

well, I didn't really know what to expect but it's here and I am very pleased...even the gig bag is good.
    the reso.has a great brassy sound. It is very similar to the Republic Hwy. 49...same...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: No love for old Martins?

Yes. I have a collapsed top from a 2-20 in the shop. I was lucky enough to get a now old stock top from Martin to replace it, and I never got fully paid for the repair, so if the new top hasn't held...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Royall Tenor Resonator

3 teardrop tenor resonators listed on Reverb: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=royall%20tenor%20guitar and their website:...
  18. Re: "banjo-mandolin" and "nice sounding": an oxymoron?

I know it is hard to believe but I only own one mandolin-banjo, a Weymann 25 with a 7" head (calf skin). I bought it decades ago and it has a sound I can stand. You can hear the melody not just...
  19. Re: "banjo-mandolin" and "nice sounding": an oxymoron?

I don't know how much this will help, but here goes.

This is one of the songs we used to play, and it was a feature for the banjolin. So that "counter-melody" behind the singing was my deal. Same...
  20. Re: "banjo-mandolin" and "nice sounding": an oxymoron?

Well I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it is a banjo and as such mandolin strings are way too heavy for a good sound. I use two sets of tenor banjo strings and the heaviest string is a 28....
  21. Re: "banjo-mandolin" and "nice sounding": an oxymoron?

I like the raw sound of my Little Wonder, but I'm not sure you will, mjbee, since you said, "I haven't met a banjo-mandolin that I've warmed up to -- and I'm a jug band guy!" As journeybear put it,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Jazz Walking Bass Lines for Mandolin

Hi everyone, I just posted a quick lesson about playing walking bass lines on the mando, something I love to do when I back up someone in jazz music. Enjoy!
  23. Re: Changed strings, ONE string's intonation is off: huh? help!

I think it is likely that you have a defective string. It happens, more so with some manufacturers than others but still, it happens. I would contact the vendor you bought the strings from. They...
  24. Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi all,

I'm so excited by the new mandolin I just received from genius luthier, Oliver Apitius. In my opinion, there is no mandolin that is better suited to Jazz. And it plays like a dream. I...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F2 and F4 mandolins.

I have both A & F Gibson ovals. Love both. As a general rule, the Fs are a “bling-ier” version, not necessarily better playing or sounding. But bling-ier is cool.
    Joe B
Page 1 of 2 1 2