Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Case weights

by mclaugh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Case weights

Because I'm a nerd, I'd like to know the accuracy of your scale. But more important, if others are going to chime in with their weights using different scales, there's no way to compare them without...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back mandolin

They published 416 patents on 1891-08-04, they put them out once a week. It's probably this one by Carl W. Anderson and Joseph Anderson of Chicago, but I haven't gone through them all yet.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin information

The obit is correct. Census records have his two sons as Frederick and Lemuel. A quick look shows no obviously connected George.

The complete obit:
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Old mandolin postcards on ebay

What a great collection, thanks for posting.

I've heard of the not smiling for old photos thing before, but the guys in the France 1900 pic look like the photographer just said something...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Long Scale Gibson Banjo question...

With a capo on the third fret the fret markers make sense and it's like a normal banjo. Tuning open is BEG#B.
  6. 2021 Mike Auldridge Instrumental Composition Contest

Attention, bluegrass and old-time musicians: This year's Mike Auldridge Instrumental Composition Contest is underway. The DC Bluegrass Union is accepting entries until Sunday, October 10th. Tunes...
  7. Re: Nobody Knows You When .... chord progression confusion

There is a IV chord. Replace Dm D7 with F F#dim7.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: NVNVNVNV - reasons?

[QUOTE]some classical players choose to hit only one string on the up pick[QUOTE]

When I studied classical mandolin many years ago I was encouraged to do that, particularly during tremolo.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Music Store Etiquette

+1 for Louise. Stan Jay of Mandolin Brothers once told me that he hired a high school kid to come in every afternoon and tune all the instruments so the whole room would resonate when you tried...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Flattop Top Thickness?

If you calculate the density for each piece your spruce is 7.55 g/cubic inch = .46 g/cubic cm which is normal according to an online wood density chart. Your redwood is 3.48 g/cubic inch = .215...
  11. Re: Old photos - a hodgepodge of musicians - folkies +

Looks like this event:

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2012/03/01/chuck-berry-leonard-cohen-honored-at-jfk-library/
  12. Re: Do you know of an easy, safe program to convert wav files to

You need to download the Lame mp3 library. All explained in the Audacity manual. I think the newest versions of Audacity now include the library.
  13. Thread: Musician Jokes

by mclaugh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

Re: difficult audiences: Some bluegrass friends were playing at a local hospital a few years ago, going from room to room. They popped into one guy's room and played him a song. As they were leaving...