Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Custom F-5G auction on eBay

I was a little confused by some of comments here. But the label inside these new F-5g mandolins only have the 'F5-g' on the top line, and the serial number on the second line (both hand written). ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Making Plans for Nigel

I have a deposit on one of these to be built sometime in 2023. Really looking forward to the build stage. I haven't given Nigel any specific options on what I want yet. But, hopefully soon.
  3. Re: What's the big deal about changing strings?

I cut my stringing time by more than half by changing to the method shown towards the end of this video. Seems obvious once to do it a couple of times.
  4. Re: Octave Mandolin/mandocello...that thing that's an octave lowe

I'd estimate I use about 80% mandolin fingerings on my 20" scale octave. But the bluegrass chop chords don't work (at least for me). Almost all of the traditional Irish/Celtic tunes I know work...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Setting intonation on octave mandolin

This is a very interesting discussion, thank you! I have recently acquired a Weber Bitterroot F octave with a 20" scale length. The G string using D'Addario EJ-80 OM strings simply do not sound...
  6. Replies
    Views

Good bye Chick

I heard that Chick Corea passed away today from cancer. As a lifelong jazz enthusiast and player he was one of my heroes. Simply in another universe of excellence and integrity. About 5 years ago...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Las Vegas Music Scene

I live in Reno, but Nevada has a very odd/arbitrary rule that only "ambient" music is allowed. The definition of ambient music is somewhat opaque, but essentially means that you might find a band...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: New Northfield/Gilchrist tailpiece-Nice!

I just finished installing the NF/Gilchrist tailpiece on my NF5-S. The install was very easy, and the holes line up perfectly. The replacement screws allowed me to tighten everything down snugly. ...
  9. Re: Octave Mandolin question: Teardrop versus mando-guitar?

But there are many many different OM configurations. Not just guitar or teardrop. There are oval hole, D hole, F hole, F body, A body, scale length, carved top, flat top, scale length, materials. ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: If you jam . . . .

Yes, I've had a similar experience. :)
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield is simply nailing it lately

I think the F5S is one of the sweet spots for Northfield. A great instrument at a great price. And they seem to be selling a ton of them. Northfield is so much more than simply an Asian knock-off...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Are All Lloyd Loars Dropping In Price?

The 'asking' vs. the actual sale prices for these Loar F5s are likely very different. And it is much more difficult to determine the actual price paid since most buyers and sellers would prefer to...
  13. Re: I have read other threads and i am still confused- newbie man

Here is a nice presentation on a very basic vs. step-up vs. high end. If you can swing the step-up you will have an instrument that will take you much further down the road.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Multi trac apps?

Haven't tried it, but Garage Band for iOS looks like what you want.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Subscription Tutorial Sites

I'd also like to know the answer to that. It looks to me that you pay for each course separately on Peghead.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Recurve Case

I have one of these with my N5S. Overall I like the case, though a few negatives IMO. The storage area is small. A set of strings in packaging will not lie flat, though it will fit at an angle. ...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins

Everyone has their priorities, and a $10,000+ mandolin is not one of mine. But the $3000 I ponied up for a Northfield F5S a couple of months ago, I have not regretted one minute. Outstanding build...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-Handed Players

As someone who is 'mostly' a lefty I think it is simply what was presented to us when we started playing. We learned to do it that way. In almost all cases it involved strumming with the right hand...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield love

My new F5S arrived yesterday. I have literally not been able to put it down, it's that good. I'm going to give myself some time to get a good feel for it and will likely comment some more. But so...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield love

I have an F5S on the way from TME, due to arrive on Tuesday. Just hoping it is as good as the reviews and consensus seems to be since I bought without playing it. 48hrs to check it out. One thing...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How to play mandolin faster

Nice video, thank you! I have struggled for a long time coordinating my right and left hands when trying to play faster. When I play fast I tend to bear down (press) with my right hand instead of...