Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Recurve case failure

As a community we can do better. The titling of this thread makes me sad. It was irresponsible and made without a single simple fact about what really occurred.

I've never wanted this forum to be...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Pava and Girouard

Just caught this Girouard. He’s doing amazing work!
  3. Re: so heres what happens when you choke on a gig.

I have more than enough videos of me screwing up on stage. A few weeks ago I started a break, changed my mind and was standing there striking drone strings (actually half of the double stops I was...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: so heres what happens when you choke on a gig.

My worst gig, to date, happened two years ago. Me and a piano player had been playing without any amplification up to that point. She was asked to provide free music at a cancer treatment fund raiser...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Massage

I used the 5 ton press in my shop to squeeze my mandolin and now it's a little flat.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Massage

Just play the darn things. Nothing you can do will improve your sound as much as becoming a better picker.
  7. Re: Life expectancy of modern vs. vintage mandolins

To keep it as short and simple as possible . . . . my guess is that the high quality modern mandolins will hold up better than the high quality vintage, simply because with each passing generation...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Strategy to get better

I'm going to assume you are a beginner. I would recommend that you focus on the artistworks curriculum to start and make sure you submit videos to Mike for review so that you don't pick up bad...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain

Incredibly sad. We are losing too many great people this way.

It is becoming more and more apparent how difficult it is for people to feel safe in seeking help when their feelings don't make...
  10. Replies
    Views

The next person to do this may be close to you. Be an encourager!

The right word spoken at the right time is as beautiful as gold apples in a silver bowl.
  11. Replies
    Views

As Cafe participants are about 95% male, designer Kate Spade's suicide earlier this week may not be as high on the radar. Between Spade and Bourdain it's been a bad week, and proof that no one has...
  12. Replies
    Views

Incredibly sad.

As someone that has taken one of those phone calls and then had to tell my wife a brother had taken his life, you don't ever forget, and the trail of grief left is very long and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The "Beater": Yes or No

Same here. I am curious about joining up. "Honey, I'm going to church tonight" sounds better than "I'm going out for cigars and bourbon".
  14. Replies
    Views

I'm still trying to understand the part about bringing bourbon and cigars to church. The mandolin would be incidental imo...
  15. Replies
    Views

I think if you can manage to restrict yourself to one mandolin, then you are winning at mandolin (I lost a long time ago).
  16. Replies
    Views

Life is short. Eat off the good china.....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Amusing story

Great story. I have a similar one. Several actually. About 5 years ago, a new restaurant called Mediterraneo opened in our town. My wife had eaten there a couple of times and one evening ordered from...
  18. Thread: Amusing story

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Loved your story, but it is a sad state of affairs in this country that a neighbor feared to knock on another neighbors door because of a difference in skin color. It would be a sad, colorless world...
  19. Replies
    Views

This is at the heart of our nation; Embrace diversity. To do it with your mandolin, golden.
  20. Thread: Amusing story

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Amusing story

About two years ago, a young Afghani family bought the house next door. Haven't really had much contact with them as I have shrubs growing clear to the street. Figured they just wanted to keep to...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you get better at the mandolin?

10 minutes per day - that's nearly an hour a week. After a while, that moves to 20 minutes a day - that's nearly 2 hours a week. Don't put any expectations on yourself. Don't get stuck in the 'genre'...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you get better at the mandolin?

When I started playing mandolin 17 years ago I think I dramatically underestimated the amount of time and effort it would take to be able to play at the kind of level I aspired to. And it seems to me...
  23. Re: Is there a crisis in mandolin, banjo and ukelele tone?

If you play guitar, everything else seems like a weird guitar. If you play piano, everything else seems like a weird piano.

God knows what happens if you play the spoons.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner, pick-holding question

Search YouTube for “Sheldon Online Academy, Chris Thile-Pick Hold”. It’s about a 10 minute video and quite excellent for your request. Good luck and happy picking.
  25. Replies
    Views

Midnight On The Water Medley

This video features a two song medley:

1. While We're Here (©2016, Ashley Broder)
    2. Midnight On The Water (Thomasson) at about 1:03

bbcee (Bruce Calder) arranged this medley, and allowed me...
Page 1 of 2 1 2