Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  2. Re: what's your go to strings for a vega ctlinder back?

I've tried two sets, and they both work well:

9-13-23-36 80/20 bronze.
    10-14-24-38 nickel.

I make up my own sets from D'Addario singles.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The First Loar F-5 I Ever Played

yes, that is definitely the mandolin Adam got from Larry at We Buy and I later acquired from Adam. What a tone on that thing... great playing! I'm not sure, but I don't think any images of this ever...
  4. Replies
    Views

as a matter of fact yes! that's the one...
  5. Replies
    Views

It was Steve Smith's in the mid 1980's when he lived in Charlottesville. Then a couple of years ago a fine sounding Fern w/Virzi that belongs to a gracious dealer of vintage stringed instruments in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Which would make it #75687. Interesting that the owner offered the Loar for sale a while ago, but decided to hang on to his post-Loar Fern.
    Sound clips here:...
  7. Replies
    Views

Yes, this is the same mandolin. I was lucky to hit W48th Street at a great time.
  8. Replies
    Views

... in Amsterdam?
  9. Replies
    Views

Hi Brian... what a tale! But here's the next part in that saga... a dear old friend named Adam Kreiswirth wound up acquiring what I believe is that very mandolin by trading a number of instruments...
  10. Replies
    Views

The First Loar F-5 I Ever Played

The thread about the "Attic Find" Loar got me thinking about the first Loar F-5 I ever played. I recall that the first Loar I ever saw was at “We Buy” Guitars on West 48thStreet in NYC. My guess is...