Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Was away quite a while...

Clearly pretty out-of-touch now! Need to put some new strings on and start practicing again. Build up the callouses....still, the Ellis is great motivation.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega Mandolin worth selling or restoring?

Possibly.
    Vega made some good mandolins over the years.
    Pictures would be essential to say anything more.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Custom F-5G auction on eBay

Note from the auction about the label from the seller.

"On Apr-05-24 at 13:45:00 PDT, seller added the following information:
    ******* NOTE: The label shown from INSIDE the instrument actually...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My dad's fern mandolin

A Loar signed Gibson F5 was stolen over a year ago and has yet to be recovered.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: On the Waiting List with Austin Clark

I've had a full day with it now and man, what an instrument.

I'm not as storied or worldly as some other Cafe members, and I do not have a myriad of experience with other high end mandolins....
  6. Thread: Hallelujah

by Colin Botts
    Replies
    Views

Hallelujah

Yes, I know, this song has been done, redone, used, and abused, and I should have left it alone. However, I decided maybe there was a little room left in the world for a solo mandolin instrumental....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

I thought the Loar era L-5's were varnished (but never checked about that). They say it's lacquer. Were the guitars laquered back then?
  8. Replies
    Views

Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

This is a fantastic analysis of a recently discovered L-5 which turned out to be the oldest known example! It was signed on February 28th 1923 and was in remarkable shape- just a 1940s tailpiece and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Big Dawg!!!

Happy Birthday David . . . Thank you for simply EVERYTHING . . . I'm Perpetually Grateful . . . Many many more!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T442eyDbOzE
  10. Today in Mandolin History - March 23, 1945, David Grisman born on

March 23, 1945, David Grisman born on this date in Hackensack, New Jersey.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/images/thisday/davidgrisman.jpg

This is a randomly selected event for today's date. For a...
  11. Caseadillo Case covers introduction

Hi everyone, my Name is Sam Guidry and I am the owner and creator of Caseadillo Case covers and I thought I would stop by to tell our story and introduce us to the mandolin community.

My primary...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

Think of the time you save not drooling over guitars you’re not going to buy…
    Take a stroll outside in the sunshine, smell the flowers, greet small woodland creatures…

: )

Kirk
  13. Re: 1989 Gibson F5-L ‘Custom Shop’ Jim Triggs

I'm seeing Sasquatch.
  14. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Have mentioned this numerous times - my favorites are probably the Fern Dick Kimmel owned (which I believe is now in Germany) and the Lloyd LaPlant that was played by Bob Douglas. (Although every one...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: This Dawg is a Dog

We're going to recommend that domain is likely a very unsafe place to do business. Doesn't take too long with some web searches to find a lot of people that agree with that assessment. YMMV.
  16. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

There’s a Nugget F5 that resides in Lawrence, Kansas that is amazing in all regards.
  17. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Loar #73725... sigh...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Gibson needs fixin'

I'm not totally sure how playable this one is. It looks like it's seen more than its share of moisture over a long period of time. As far as original goes, I don't have a problem with changed parts....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Gibson needs fixin'

Yeah, well. I didn't stop buying and selling because I was getting beat at the end and I certainly wish I was more familiar with this technology stuff. It simply escapes me. :cool:
  20. Re: 1989 Gibson F5-L ‘Custom Shop’ Jim Triggs

Greg Rich posted it a while back.
  21. Re: 1989 Gibson F5-L ‘Custom Shop’ Jim Triggs

You have to understand how the Gibson Custom shop worked in the days of Jim Triggs and Greg Rich.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello as an octave?

The air volume and body cavity resonance on most mandocellos works well for an octave mandolin; I make most of mine with larger bodies. The scale length will likely be a bit long, so you can use a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Monteleone Mandolin Registry

I’ve put together a Monteleone Mandolin Registry at

https://monteleonemandolin.com/

If you’d like to send me vital stats (year, serial number, unique appointments, etc.) and some photos, I’ll...
  24. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

I could not be happier with mine...the tone, craftsmanship, finish, playability, beauty, historic case, etc. are all outstanding. It's a 100% American-made original heirloom with David Harvey's...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4