Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Looking for information about the history of mandolin orchest

Sherry Mignano Crawford, who is sometimes a poster here, wrote the book on Italian mandolins in America. See the link below. It may have some relevant information for you.
  2. Re: Looking for information about the history of mandolin orchest

The CMSA suggestion is solid, and I don't know anyone who has a more encyclopedic knowledge of the field than CMSA's Robert Margo.
    Another good source with a different perspective on traditional...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon and Healy mandocellos

Suppose that the numbering began with 101 so that all of the frames had three digits. Then you would only have 432. Approximately what year did that one leave the factory?

OR: each of the three...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

& it sounded pretty darn fine at Wintergrass this past weekend!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

Might be time to get a bowlback mandolin to help break your folks out of stereotypes of what a mandolin looks like, sounds like or plays like.

And I'll bet you'll enjoy it yourself!

Mick
  6. Replies
    Views

I’ve sat in with a worship team a few times on mandolin. I will echo the sentiment that the music director/leader possibly lacks imagination here.

I don’t chop or play bluegrass or even play...
  7. Replies
    Views

Sherry, I think the mandolin fits perfectly with most gospel songs. I would ask if you can sit it during the practices and maybe they will see how nicely a mandolin fits in.
    Just my 2 cents.
  8. Thread: Odd mandolin

by Ray(T)
    Replies
    Views

Re: Odd mandolin

O.K, you’re all wrong. It’s an Army/Navy with an arm-rest and a very early prototype externally mounted Virzi ;)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

You can really see the disgust on his face in this picture. He's clearly seeing another Mandolin player using a capo.

10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin description written by a jeweler

I really did not have the time to read his long blurb but I sent him an old ad that showed it was a circa 1940 Kay Venetian sold for $7.50 but to be fair, his starting price is about right.

11. Replies
    Views

Re: Bad Experience on the Classifieds

You got the instrument back, apparently in pretty much the same condition as when it left your shop. That's good.
    You haven't indicated that you have had any problems with your bank account being...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mystery 5 string

Okay! Martin Stillion correctly identified it as a Blue Dragon mandolin, made in Whitefish, MT.
    Does anybody have one, or any experience with these?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Astroturf Noise

I'm 72 years old. I'm reminded a whole lot of my younger days when we had Frank Zappa, Ravi Shankar and a few others hit the music scene. In many cases it wasn't melodic and my parents didn't dig it...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-necking an OVation MM68?

For the benefit of future readers and to dispel any inaccurate rumors, here's the back of the Ovation MM68 mandolin, with a large access hole visible.

15. Replies
    Views

Re: Paddlehead A4 with issues at SGW

Well, you can certainly find a nice one in the mid $2000's.

I hope the new owner has good health insurance, 'cos when he gets a repair estimate for the mandolin, they might have to call the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Import duty from Canada

I have a two-point coming from Larry Muth, also in Saskatchewan.

17. Re: Why are old Gibson snakeheads worth so much more?

One person's opinion: 1920s Gibson snakeheads are some of the finest sounding and most beautiful mandolins ever built. Iconic, gorgeous, brilliantly designed, trend setting, still highly desirable....
  18. Re: Why are old Gibson snakeheads worth so much more?

Andy Statman
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon and Healy mandocellos

A friend of mine has one of the carved cellos. It is truly
    beautiful and has a nice voice. But my friend says, to him, the neck feels like a baseball bat. I don't play mandocello, so I'm just...
  20. Re: Vintage A-4 Mandolin Low Serial Number (Early Production)

Pretty goshdarn good estimating, there. ;)
  21. Re: Why are some songs not written in the key they are in?

Many musicians do not read music, but that doesn’t mean they can’t play just about any song without having to have the notation. Some play just by ear, and are very accomplished. The Nashville...
  22. Re: Vintage A-4 Mandolin Low Serial Number (Early Production)

The serial number indicates a 1905 build date, which is early enough for walnut back and sides.
    The label appears to be authentic, but is from the 1910's or later. It is my guess that the mandolin...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: unknown vintage case

My first guess would be a National tenor guitar. My style #1 has the case below. Not exactly the same measurements: mine is 37” long and 15” wide but it might have been made for a different National...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: GIBSON F2 selling advice- Greece

If this were an F-5 from '23 or thereabout, we'd send C.J. Lewandowski over for it :)
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar K-5 Mandocello

MFG is entirely a consignment shop. Stevie never advertises for instruments because he says that they "just walk in the door." As Martin said, it is "more of a 'boutique' shop." You'll usually...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4