Search:

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Earliest Tony Rice I've Heard

Here he is with his brothers at the 1964 UCLA Folk Festival under the band name "The Haphazards"
    https://youtu.be/EMRFn34d6po?si=c55TpnNuXQ0IEMZp

I was at the festival, but I don't know if I saw...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

I'm lucky enough to be the temporary (during my lifetime) custodian of a mid-90's Nugget A5 - It is my holy grail ff-hole and a '23 snakehead plain-jade A that serves as the oval-hole equivalent.
  3. Replies
    Views

PSA - What is a Snakehead?

I see at least one mandolin in the classifieds today being advertised as a snakehead Gibson. It is not, it's a paddlehead. Most of the time this is simply someone not knowing what they have. For your...
  4. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

I think Nugget’s prices are in line with Heiden’s. The last F5 in the Classifieds was priced somewhat low. The one at Carters before that was in the $30k range. The used A5 at TME this summer was...
  5. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

Don’t forget Nugget.
  6. Billy Strings and 13-year-old Wyatt Ellis honor Doc and Bill on D

this is just great!

Has Wyatt been on "Mandolin Mondays" yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFehxm5Ms8A
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Dix Bruce - Rest in Peace

Acoustic Guitar Magazine has a nice remembrance article about Bruce. Read it here.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Dix Bruce - Rest in Peace

Posted to Facebook February 7, 2023, by Carla Normand:

Dix Bruce: Musician
    So Long, But Not Goodbye

A few days ago, Dix Bruce strummed his final chord.

He has left his fellow musicians with...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings mandolin redesign?

I was not involved in the design of Collings mandolins.
  10. Re: I've owned an A-style for 72 hours and already hate the shape

Forget the strap. It would be better to buy a nice suit.
    Even with 1000 dollars of lessons most of us still wouldn’t sound like Jethro.
    At least with a nice suit you could look like him.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Musty Smell in the case and mandolin.

Tom, how many orders did you have? ;)
  12. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Do you use a Tone Gard?

After hearing all the discussion here on the Cafe and seeing a lot of the top pros using them I decided to give one a try. Tried it for a while and then removed it. It spent a good while laying on...
  13. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Do you use a Tone Gard?

No. Tried it for a couple weeks. Sold it. Hated it. I tend to hold the mandolin slightly away from my body anyway, so I really didn't notice an improvement in tone or volume but what I did notice was...
  14. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I haven't had as much opportunity to see many recent Nugget mandolins. During the 80's and 90's I saw somewhere between 10-15 of them(A5's and F5's). I remember how they took my breath away each...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to Violin

I have been mandolinning since forever. But a few years back I took fiddle lessons, and gave it a good three year try. The bowing was the killer.

Fiddle doesn't do anything for you: you start the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: 1920 Gibson A $500 today only needs repair

Thanks for saving that from the rubbish! It’s one to be played not relegated to the wall or something even less pleasant.
  17. Replies
    Views

The last five SGW mandolins this year, from all over to Connecticut, had Fedex shipping charges between less than $10 to $18. Add-on handling, which involved what looked like a fortune in mostly...
  18. Replies
    Views

Shipping rates have skyrocketed over the past three years. The last time I shipped a mandolin, I was flabbergasted when UPS gave me the total.

And when I shipped an old guitar case from Tennessee...
  19. Replies
    Views

This is getting more than a tad off topic, but folks, there is no such thing as "free shipping". It just means the cost is worked into the cost of the item. If I must buy something online, I'd...
  20. Replies
    Views

I guess it is a pet peeve of mine from doing mail order for over 45 years, long before eBay and the internet ever existed. There was something called "shipping AND handling." We know what shipping...
  21. Re: 1920 Gibson A $500 today only needs repair

Jeff, I never tell anyone what to do... I suggest. pirateship.com, stamps.com, shippo and several other competing companies have been around for quite some time. It is a way to save on shipping. I...
  22. Replies
    Views

FWIW, as an eBay seller for over 20 years, I think it is bad form for the customer to tell the seller what shipper to use or how to run business, in general. I, personally, would never ship an...
  23. Re: 1920 Gibson A $500 today only needs repair

Ouch! Still worth it.

FYI I shipped a mandolin from Boston to Sarasota, Fl. through pirateship.com that cost me $35 and emailed the sender the label (thankfully, he had a working printer). There...
  24. Replies
    Views

I was born in Flemington, NJ. Home of the Lindbergh Baby Kidnapping.
  25. Replies
    Views

I am happy to hear that it did not end up to be a wall hanger :mandosmiley:
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4