Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: A quick and inexpensive way to try the tenor guitar

I had one for a bit. It's not a toy, but not a high (or middle) -end instrument either. It is meant for steel strings and comes tuned DGBE. The body is baritone uke sized, and the scale as previously...
  2. Re: Are there tenors (CGDA) built for gut/nylon strings (not ukes

Pono makes a Baritone Nui ("big baritone") for nylon strings, normally DGBE but if you can get CGDA to work on it, it might be your best bet, as it's about the size of a Martin 0 tenor (23" scale, 13...
  3. Replies
    Views

Steve Pyott has passed

I saw on Facebook that Steve Pyott recently passed away. He was a founding member of the Tenor Guitar Registry, the first online tenor guitar community, and he posted here as well. He was also...
  4. Another Eastwood, another hollow electric tenor

All of a sudden there are two full hollow-bodied electric tenors in production. In addition to newcomer Craven guitars (which has its own thread here), Eastwood now offers one with a Florentine...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A string breaking...often

Well you've already gone with 9 gauge strings, which is usually the first thing to try (10 is/was standard, but makes for even more tension at the same pitch). Typically the next thing to look at is...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Blueridge BR40T or Ibanez AVT1?

I think Lost in Croatia is wanting to go the other way, from CGDA to the more familiar GDAE. For that you need to go down in pitch to octave mandolin tuning and use heavier gauge strings. I'm usually...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Source for single monel guitar strings?

I went down this path a couple years ago, after discovering Martin retros for my 6-string, and also wound up getting a few Curt Mangan packs to piece together a set for my 0-17T. I didn't like the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: HB Tenor Guitar

Some of the older Martin 5's had 12-fret neck joins. I have a 5-17T like that - I think the change was during the 1929 production year (for that specific model at least). I was able to compare mine...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Ibanez Tenors appear discontinued

I ordered one from Elderly and it was set up well enough - I did make some minor adjustments but it was certainly playable. I'd recommend ordering one from them or another trusted source that will...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: And now for something completely different

Same builder's sold listings show some tenors that are even more "out there". Not very pricey, kind of tempting to get one just to experience it in person.

11. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording King ROST-7-TS - part 1

Check this thread for lots of advice on gauges. I used a John Pearse set, and it sounds and feels very good.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording King ROST-7-TS - part 1

I got one yesterday from Elderly - for the price I'm very impressed. I got it as a cheap tenor that I could leave at my folks' house without having to worry much about humidification and other...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor tuning - EBF#C#?

I play in FCGD, and I know a few others on here do. This tuning is only 1/2 step lower, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work with the right combination of guitar & strings.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mini Tele Conversion to Five-String

No problems, other than tuning issues caused by the tremolo, which are not relevant to a Tele.
  15. Replies
    Views

New used cheapo 5 string partscaster

Made a trip to Jake Wildwood's yesterday, primarily to have him put together this 5-stringer from old Squier parts. He drilled new holes in the bridge, removed a saddle and a tuner, slotted the nut,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Made a visit to Jake Wildwood yesterday for some other work, and brought the Tele - he fixed up the wiring and it sounds much better now.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Hollow Body Electric Tenors

They'd both be Tops with Arch.
  18. Replies
    Views

New Eastwood/Airline tenor coming

The latest tenor from the Eastwood custom shop is up here. Airline "Jetsons Tenor", modeled after their Jetsons Jr 6-string. The picture shows one pickup in the bridge position but the description...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Gigbag for 19 Inch Telecaster Tenor

If you can find one of these (they're not common), it's a great fit for my Zither tenor guitar, which has the same overall dimensions as your guitar. Really generous padding, good quality, zipper...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: This Martin O-15T sounds great

Different tastes, different ears, and variable conditions of vintage Martins notwithstanding, I don't think it's really a comparison. I've A/B'd both in a store and owned both at the same time. The...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandocello

I have an Eastwood mandocello, and a couple of their tenors (including the oddly named "tenor baritone", which is basically a 4-string mandocello). Eastwood's QC is not the best, so sometimes you'll...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: new Healy tenor

Some more glamour shots by the builder:

23. Replies
    Views

new Healy tenor

Picking up this Trevor Healy "Healer" tomorrow. Pretty stoked to say the least!

24. Replies
    Views

Heritage tenor

There's a Les Paul style Heritage tenor up on ebay. Appears to be a one-off. Anyone have any experience with that brand? NFI and I'm not bidding in any case, but thought folks might be interested.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Down the Tenor Rabbit Hole... (Help)

See Jake Wildwood's museum page for a long list of instruments organized alphabetically by maker, with plenty of vintage tenors in the bunch. Most of the links will have sound clips in addition to...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4