Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Aaron Yarmel

by mandrian
    Replies
    Views

Aaron Yarmel

Hi,

Don’t know much about this guy, but his YouTube videos are always excellent. Basically jazz on 5 string….

https://youtu.be/HmqRr298yD8?si=9UY8oW9UZwdi-jZ3

Regards,
  2. Re: Northfield's $200 Surcharge For Wide Nut?

Hi,

I presume that it’s not just the nut that’s wider, but also the neck. Then smaller production runs, hence higher costs. The increase in cost being down to overhead costs, rather than material....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Hi,

That left hand must be feeling better Frank.

Regards,
  4. Re: Advice sought: pricing/selling two good instruments in the UK

Hi,

I think the UK market for mandolins is quiet just now and of course it’s always been pretty small. I’ve advertised a few instruments recently at what I thought was a fair price and had few...
  5. Re: Ye Vagabonds, Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh. Great video

What a great video. Particularly liked the instrumental tunes, but it was all good.

Regards,
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: New Blackwood and WRC 2-point mandolin

Davy,

Nice tailpiece. Looks good and easy to use. Don’t know why more luthiers don’t choose to use that type. Must be the Gibson influence.

Regards,
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry O'sullivan

Hi,

Further on the subject, he’s well represented on YouTube if you want to do a search.

Cheers,
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry O'sullivan

Hi,

It’s funny because I was going to ask who he was. Did not find out anything about him, not even nationality.

I was interested because I’ve been using his album Cozy Morning Mandolin to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

Hi,

I went for regular lessons when I started playing, but was a bit disappointed in them to be honest. My experience then was that most of them seem to teach you how to play a tune, then another...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Sourcing Mandolin Armrest in UK

Davey,

Jill made one for me, so thanks for the suggestion. At £40 I thought it was reasonably priced.

Regards,
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Sourcing Mandolin Armrest in UK

Davey,

Thanks, that sounds promising. I have contacted her to see if she can help.

Cheers,
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Who can I thank for the O'Carolan Project?

Hi,

I believe it to be the work of Scott Tichenor, our site owner and host. We have much to thank him for. As a Carolan fan and player, I also enjoy his Carolan videos on YouTube.

Regards,
  13. Replies
    Views

Frank,

You’re in line to become an honorary Scot, if you keep up with some of these recent posts. Lovely playing once again.

Regards,
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

What about calling it the Black Swan? Swans are known for their beautiful necks and this one’s black and beautiful. They do exist in the wild, Australia I think. It’s certainly no ugly duckling.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The Nut on Phoenix (Europa) Neoclassical

Hi,

I had 368. The nut was described as fossilised bone. If memory serves me right, it was darker than most bone in appearance.

I always remember it as the lightest mandolin I ever had. Funnily...
  16. Replies
    Views

Hi,

Well played Frank, nothing like a good Scottish dirge to cheer up a Scotsman first thing in the morning and Niel Gow wrote quite a few.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: "Werkheiser" Martin employee mandolin

Hi,

Good watch and thanks for putting this together. Obviously a labour of love.

Regards,
  18. Thread: NMD Black A2z

by mandrian
    Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Black A2z

Hi,

I think you’ll be very happy with your new instrument. Mike Black makes fantastic instruments and is sadly under appreciated. My Black A5 is the instrument I play most. At the prices he...
  19. Replies
    Views

Lovely playing Frank and I don’t even like tremolo all that much, but that was great.

Regards,
  20. Replies
    Views

Hi,

If you like your tunes on the melancholy side, then Phil written lots that translate well to mandolin. Two that you hear played less that I particularly like are;

The Gentle Light That...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Bridge Replacement Question

Greg,

In Scotland we are blessed with weather (never thought I would ever say that) such that our instruments very seldom need to be adjusted seasonally or otherwise at least in my experience.
  22. Replies
    Views

Hi,

Funny, I often think that to. I enjoy the big names live, but seldom listen to their CD’s at home. I tend to listen to CD’s of folks perhaps thought of a lesser players, like Alan Epstein or...
  23. Replies
    Views

Hi,

Nice to hear from you again. Always enjoy your posts and was missing your videos.

Regards,
  24. Thread: Who is Oscar?

by mandrian
    Replies
    Views

Re: Who is Oscar?

I think the original post means who is the Oscar referred to in the lyrics. I don’t know though.

Regards,
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Break (jazz original)

Hi,

Listened to your Soundcloud recordings and enjoyed them. Thanks for posting. Real sense of enjoyment from the live recordings.

Regards,
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4