Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Tommy and Sierra

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Tommy and Sierra

Tommy seems to be on a mandolinist collaboration thing lately. This is nothing but beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEbEBId9CQ
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A Punch Sister?

When TT says that Haas as a 'bionic bowing arm' (in the interview in the original post above), I thought right away of this recording. It's really unlike any other recording of the tune. And when...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Café classifieds

I really don't need to get into discussing this further and I'm already on record stating the decision is not going to be an invitation for a public forum on opinions. The banjo community has been...
  4. Re: Embarassing Question - Which Mandolin to Bring to Jam?

Life is short.

Always bring your best instrument and give it your best effort.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mic and Equipment for playing live

My brain immediately went to “solid body electric.” I have a Baggs Venue pre that has worked well for me in a praise band setting, but that’s nothing like the volume you’re competing against…
  6. Re: How often should my mandolin need to be tuned?

Rarely are tuning machines the culprit if your instrument goes out of tune. In my experience, the biggest factor is environment: Relative humidity, and temperature.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge Adjustment Question

I carefully put a wide, flat blade screw driver between the bridge and saddle and twist it just enough to take the pressure off (either bass or treble side). Corresponding adjustment wheel can be...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin String Grommets

Wow. I guess Mike Marshall's Loar is a piece of junk because he mutes them at the tailpiece AND the headstock. But what does he know.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin String Grommets

The grommets are cheap and they look cool. Efficacy is secondary! :)
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: What are your roles?

To play what isn't being played and sing what is missing and to provide additions to the music without getting too busy. R/
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Harvest Moon - AJ Lee style

Watched them both but I like the older version
  12. Re: Whats your String Height preference (G Strings)

I've been happy with 0.06" (4/64) on G and 0.05" (3.5/64) on E.
  13. Re: Whats your String Height preference (G Strings)

FWIW, when doing a set up, I set the string height at the nut first to avoid the minor effect it has on string height at the 12th, but unless the nut height is way out of line it has little effect on...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Whats your String Height preference (G Strings)

Dimensions at the 12th fret with the string unfretted. My first fret height is very low so it won't make much of a difference.
  15. Re: Whats your String Height preference (G Strings)

Just low enough to hold a CT55 between the strings and 12th fret. But then, I'm not a heavy chopper.
  16. Re: Whats your String Height preference (G Strings)

1/16" (+) for all strings.
  17. Re: Whats your String Height preference (G Strings)

For Bluegrassers I usually set the action at 1/16" from 12th fret to bottom of E-string and 3/32" from 12th fret to bottom of G-string. Very few players like their action higher than that and many...
  18. Punch Brothers' "Familiarity" (sheet music and tutorial)

Hey y'all. I've been running around getting ready for 3 weeks on the road but managed to squeeze in another video the YouTube channel.

This time we are taking a look at the mandolin intro for...
  19. Re: Andrew and Emily of Watchhouse Band hit by car in crosswalk

Update on Andrew’s Instagram page: 15 stitches removed. Now i just have to avoid screen time, reading, watching movies, bright lights, closing my eyes while standing up… that said i can still play...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin stand arrived today!

Nice. I need to get one of those, then tell the wife: see, I need two more to make this stand worthwhile. :))
  21. Re: If Northfields are so amazing, why so many for sale on cafe?

Why, because you started a thread asking a question and someone contributed an answer?
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Nickel Bronze Bonanza

I use the NBs on my Martin dreads and prefer them to Monels. NBs have the same neutral characteristic as Monels but with a bi tmore "body" to them. I don't know if Monels factuallly have less...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Nickel Bronze Bonanza

Hey there...

Thanks so much for looping back. Since my original post I've tried the NBs, went back to phosphor bronze, and am now back to NBs again. The NBs are by far the best match for my...
  24. Re: D'Addario's new Chris Thile signature mandolin pick

With affection...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The beginnings of MAS - What's next?

If you can't travel and don't mind buying online, lots of people seem to be into the catch and release strategy.

For me, the idea of the release is tough, though.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4