Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: A sadly misinformation-laden bit of mandolin "scholarship"

I'm with Simon -- this is an AI-generated article. The misinformation is too specific to be explained by ignorance and is the sort of superficially-plausible nonsense that comes out of AI bots.
  2. Re: A sadly misinformation-laden bit of mandolin "scholarship"

I hadn't intended to give that article this much effort, but referencing the article's own bullet points:

1. Four Beethoven works for mandolin and keyboard have survived, but none of the works he...
  3. Re: A sadly misinformation-laden bit of mandolin "scholarship"

It's written, or half-written by AI. :(
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Transitioning to a Bowlback

I have plenty of bowlbacks due to my self inflicted research project a decade or so, wanting to separate the wheat from the chaff, the jewels from the junk. I have never noticed overall that...
  5. Replies
    Views

I think in the modern era, many of us who are mandolin enthusiasts have an idea of "what a mandolin should sound like." Much of this is due to the Gibson Company, who defined the sound and turned...
  6. Replies
    Views

I've never had access issues on any bowlback.

As for wide fingerboards, all the better!

Many Roman style bowlbacks have a narrow fingerboard.

It takes time to get used to the rounded...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: the cycle continues

i always remove tapered end pins when shipping instruments. they can become a splitting wedge upon an impact.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Back shirkage on Gibson snakehead

That is so common with those old Gibsons that I have a dedicated jig for aligning them.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to buy a EMBERGHER

Thanks, Bob.
    I don't own an Embergher, but have played a few from the 00's era.
    What you say about your Pecoraro confirms my outsider's opinion.
    The craftwork and detailing on the Pecoraro's I've...
  10. Replies
    Views

Giuseppe Pettine's (1874-1966) gravesite

Yesterday afternoon my wife, Lee, and I drove to nearby Providence RI to visit the gravesite of the great Golden Age mandolinist, Giuseppe Pettine (1874-1966). The grave, shown below, is located in...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval Hole A model classical mandolin needed

I would like to suggest that a Lyon & Healy style B or C should scratch any classical itch you may have. In the meantime, play it on your Eastman oval.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Can anybody tell me what I have?

If I recall it's an Aero Ukulele.

https://ukulelemagazine.com/stories/great-ukes-flying-high-with-the-lindbergh-inspired-aero-ukulele
  13. Re: Question on "tiers" of instruments

I’ll give you the same advice I gave my wife when she started learning guitar: buy the best instrument you can afford. Often people think they should buy a cheaper instrument to start on but that...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Mandolin Napoli

Here's a shot of one of my DeMeglios, fwiw.

I use the Dogal Calace dolce strings on it.

It has the brass saddle to go with the brass zero fret.

It's a pleasure.

Mick
  15. Re: Loar era Gibson F5 mandolins as classical instruments

Very good description, Bob!

As an architect, I enjoy the structural / construction focus of your simple and clear explanation.

I think we see this cross top curvature more distinctly on good...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Bowlback Mandolin resources

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that perhaps the best overall, comprehensive, if rambling, resource on bowlback mandolins is the "Bowlbacks of Note" thread right here at the Mandolin Cafe.
  17. Re: European vs American approaches to the mandolin

You distinguish between "European" and "American" approaches.
    We could ask wether Europeans and Americans playing the same music (a Bach piece, "Fisher´s Hornpipe" or "Gold Rush") use a different...
  18. Re: European vs American approaches to the mandolin

Good point; I'm a retired choral musician and I get annoyed with people talking about "African music" as if there's no difference between a cappella Zulu isychatamiya and township jive or Malian jazz...
  19. Re: European vs American approaches to the mandolin

Good points! There were mandolin traditions in the Ukraine and other Eastern European countries that have their own traditions and style. I've also seen Turkish mandolin method books.
  20. Re: European vs American approaches to the mandolin

Lots of very different countries in Europe, so the main premise, USA/Europe is difficult to comprehend. People from some of the smaller countries that are more distant from France and Italy may feel...
  21. Re: European vs American approaches to the mandolin

Thank you both for the interesting posts; even though I am an American, I play in a much more European style, and don't own any Gibson-style instruments, so this is a long-time topic of personal...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Traditional Italian mandolin in Italy?

Bob, I wonder if you are referring to Queen Margherita, who apparently not only played mandolin but promoted its music in the 1890s.

And got a pizza named after her along the way.

Mick
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Traditional Italian mandolin in Italy?

I pretty much agree with this. Traditional music, with some exceptions, is likely not a lot more alive than it is in the US. Here where anything that has a banjo in it is called bluegrass, nobody...
  24. Re: Would I be happier with a ‘20s Gibson F4?

GChris: I honestly do not think that anyone can tell you if you would actually be happier buying a 1920 F-4. First, we don't know how depressed or happy you are right now. In fact most of us don't...
  25. Thread: Plectrums

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Re: Plectrums

It's not a bother at all!

First, there is more than one way to choose, hold and use a mandolin pick. I can only speak for what works for me; those coming from, say, the German classical school of...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4