Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: The Ugliest Mandolin Cafe Hat in the World

Not so ugly, but old. Does that count?
  2. Re: Shackleton's ship found (and yes, a mandolin!)

My mandolin was cooped up with me on a diesel sub in the North Atlantic and Arctic Ocean. We both survived the experience and are both still making music. And it was quite a while ago.
  3. Replies
    Views

Case repair

I started planning this project in 2015, but delayed for a variety of reasons, including cold feet. Finally did it, thanks to encouragement of Loudloar and Bazz Jass.
    The case came to me without top...
  4. Re: What style am I hearing in my head?

chanson style is wonderful played on mandolin, especially solo if you are singing (therefore a duet so to speak).just be prepared to spend a great deal of time arranging and practicing your...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Old F-Case Repair. Handle?

thanks for advice (and encouragement)
    I have a case project and was on several years hold due to my inexperience with glues. somehow I got it in my mind to be period correct, got hide glue for the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Old F-Case Repair. Handle?

nice - what glue did you use for lining?
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Help! Drowned out by fiddles!

One last thought -
    Voicings
    You will have to get even more familiar with the material/songs you are playing, and be aware of where those fiddles are playing at on the neck.
    Chances are they are...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Absolute Silence

:)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Northeastern Bluegrass festival

Agree with Jim_G
    Jenny Brook is always extraordinary
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting mildew off a gig bag

Again, do try (you can research it) isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). I had to remove mildew from an entire room and it truly worked - permanently. No remaining odor, no fabric damage or...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Ivan - I can relate - I have had lung cancer. Surgery and stereotactic radiation removed the culprit for now. So hang on to those instruments. I still have and enjoy mine as much as ever. You can do...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson stamped cloud tailpiece

diamond inlay - 1942 - not usually a FON in them - plain cloud tailpieces
  13. Re: Single Mic Bluegrass: This is How It's Done!

larry, you are very right it saying it is up to the performers. and I too am much more in favor of using a single mic, disliking the mixing puzzle and forest of mics in multi mic situations. without...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 15th fret pearl dot position makker.

The "florida" extension is most helpful in playing classical music transcriptions (for violin) that need those notes, for example Chopin. They may lack sustain, but if they play clearly, it certainly...
  15. Re: how to impree audience with a single mandolin

you are solo mandolin. that is opportunity for every song to be special. play your very favorite songs (often unusual or overlooked songs/or your own compositions work best). make the effort to learn...
  16. Re: science behind a mandolin "opening up"

needing a bit of cheer, David, I checked out your videos (for the first time, I must admit). awful is not a word that applies. either to quantity or quality. thanks for the effort and the sweet...