Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

Projecting sound is an interesting one. Classical violin groups have done experiments which seem to show that some players can project sound farther with the same instrument than others. With...
  2. Replies
    Views

I think I might be out, but I'm not sure :)
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

And then there's the common misspelling of 'Mandoline' as 'Mandolin' referring to a vegetable slicer.
  4. Replies
    Views

That combination of players might indeed work fine for most kinds of music, but socially, folk jams in UK aren't that organised. Everyone just pitches up and plays. As it's usually all or mostly...
  5. Replies
    Views

Thanks all for the comments and advice above. By the way, a couple of Jill's great clips above have people smiling while playing traditional music - that's great. It's good to see folks obviously...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Locking your mandolin case

I've never locked a case. I think the only thing locking a small instrument case guarantees is that someday you'll lock the case and lose the key. Sure, it stops the case falling open, but so does a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Performing in a sport coat

I used to play in tartan jacket and bow tie Scottish dance bands, but in the 70s I played in a longhair flares and cosmic T shirt good time bar band and both worked. I'd go for whatever feels right...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Well Journeybear, what can I say? I felt that constructive comment on your finely wrought panoply of reasoning on this investment was beyond my abilities, that all readers would appreciate the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

Presumably because the nyckelharpa market is not yet big enough? Yet there are workshops producing and Ebaying instruments which are the result of 19thC artistic imagination, like fanciful lyre...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman md 304 vs 314

One thing about Eastman matt finishes - they're nice, but if you touch the instrument anywhere those places don't stay matt for long. My 305 has a couple of polished spots on it where I touch it...
  11. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

I've always found the lack of interest in violins among violinists quite surprising. I can understand a weekend fiddler just liking his fiddle and not being too concerned about the technical details...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Fan fret tenor guitars (2022 thread)

What techniques do you use to play such a big fiddle? There's an interesting article here:

https://taborviolas.com/baroque-viola/a-short-history-of-baroque-violas/

...that suggests original...
  13. Replies
    Views

Interesting- is your 'tenor' violin tuned -8va GDAE? I have a 'chin cello' 5 string 16" viola tuned -8va CGDAE. The C string is a bit 'choked' sounding and hard to get working with the bow (it's OK...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 5ths tuned chord progression source?

Thanks for all that - I'll have a look at all your recommendations and see what fits. Max
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD315/MD515 vs Kentucky KM750

You may also find you get better tone per $ in an A model Eastman or Kentucky in that price range - adding a scroll works out real expensive on the lower end F hole Eastmans.
  16. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

I'd recommend a better quality Chinese workshop instrument for value for money. BUT, you need to know what you're looking at or have a friend who does - they vary a lot, and some still have very...
  17. Replies
    Views

I suspect it means that the straight fret tenor guitar is in itself rare enough, but the subset of tenor guitarists interested in messing with the instrument is even rarer. You have the same thing...
  18. Re: Are you ready for a new Carbon/Kevlar Sorensen mandolin?

Dunno about carbon mandos, but I bought a good quality carbon fiddle some years ago. Either it 'played' in, and the sound did develop like a decent wooden one, or it played me in so I got a better...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Seagull deterrent techniques?

Not too bad compared to their mandolin strings :)
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin Fingering

I think there may be a parallel here with violin and cello fingering. On violin/mandolin, typical fingering of e.g. a one octave G major scale (using the available open strings) would be 0 1 2 3 0 1...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: Fan-fret 10-string from Davey Mandolins

Lovely - I visited Cas's worshop for a tenor guitar setup when he was building this mandolin, and saw it 'in the white'. I used to own a 5 string CGDAE cello, and I think even a relatively poor...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Entry level tenor: Recording King or Ibanez?

I just bought my second Harley Benton CLT-20S used, got the first one new from Thomann. I like these little guitars, they're like mini dreadnoughts, the scale length works with 1-2-3-4...
  23. Re: Transform a guitar into tenor guitar by changing the neck

If you're in EU or close (eg UK), at any rate anywhere east of the Pond, I think the cheapest workable way to get a tenor guitar is find a 2nd user Harley Benton tenor acoustic (thomann.de music...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Blueridge 60, Harley Benton, Martin tenors?

For my Harley Benton tenor today - this is quite weird, its like a tiny Dreadnought but deeper bodied than you might expect. Tried it out in GDAE with the D'Addario OEM strings - meh. Fitted John...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Amplifying a violin in an electric combo

The above are all good solutions - for some kinds of violin/fiddle sound. The problem is, though, you need to identify what kind of sound your fiddler wants before trying a solution.

If she wants...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4