Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Loosen a tight tuning machine on an Eastman Oval

Stupid question, maybe, but have you tried lubricating the tuners?
  2. Replies
    Views

Worthwhile read/listen

About a month ago, Rick Rubin (the record producer) released his new book, The Creative Act. It's an interesting and thought-provoking work, and has much application for luthiers, in my opinion. ...
  3. Replies
    Views

The Strad/Guarneri Doctor

No mandolin content here, but an excellent article on John Becker, a luthier's luthier. He's considered the leading authority on repairing and maintaining Stradivari violins. ...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Monteleone documentary

Yep -- pretty much everywhere. Amazon, YouTube, iTunes, Vudu. Purchased from Amazon it cost $13.90 including taxes. They also have it available for rent.
  5. Replies
    Views

Monteleone documentary

Just a quick heads-up that the new John Monteleone documentary -- The Chisels Are Calling -- went into distribution on the 15th. I got it from Amazon, but it's available through numerous other...
  6. Re: Bondhus Screw Grab for stripped screw heads

Good to have on the shelf. Just ordered a bottle. Thanks for the tip!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Vacuum clamping

One additional note on making vacuum workholding fixtures. A good source for gasketing tapes and related materials is All Star Adhesives (allstaradhesives.com). They used to sell what they called...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Vacuum clamping

I built a central vacuum system for my shop, basically the opposite of an air compressor. A Gast laboratory pump pulls vacuum on a repurposed air tank, and a vacuum switch shuts it off when the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Back removal

Yep, it looks just fine from the front. Put a ToneGard on it and nobody will ever know.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Back removal

Fish glue will separate nicely with a heated palette knife. (I think it's great stuff and use it a lot.) Depending on how much finish you have on the instrument, you might be able to soften the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: "The Tree"

"After 2 trees fell on my house I developed a different relationship with urban trees."

Trees on the house is not good. An architect friend tells the story of advising a client couple to remove...
  12. Replies
    Views

"The Tree"

Presumably everybody who builds instruments knows about "The Tree." This is a rather good article on the subject: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-legend-of-the-music-tree-180979792/
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin lessons for beginner

There's a really good Homespun video entitled The Mandolin and Bouzouki of Tim O'Brien, which I picked up maybe 15 years ago. It really helped me transition to playing octave-tuned instruments.
  14. Re: Wonderful Fabulous Worldwide History-Making Event

"No Key Deer were harmed during the making of this video."
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Woodworking Machines

I used a Powermatic 66 with a Biesemeyer fence for many years. A very solid, accurate beast of a saw. You can do just about anything with it. Time spent tweaking the adjustments will be...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: General pin or pines moisture meter

I've owned the General meter for about 10 years and have no complaints. It gets a fair amount of use because in addition to monitoring the wood storage room, the heat here comes from wood cut on the...
  17. Re: ISO Luthier to carve and install new top

Sorry that happened. It's hard to imagine a more direct hit.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Name that wood

You could join a few sections of that ash. Fire up the bandsaw, and the next thing you know, you've got a Telecaster.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready to get my hillbilly on!

This river don't go to Aintry.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge location on an A5 build

Siminoff sells a set of "Mrs. Griffith A5" plans, and they're comprehensive.
  21. Re: Seeking Octave Mandolin Plans and Advice

Two of Graham McDonald's books, The Mandolin Project and The Bouzouki Book, are highly recommended. You'll know a whole bunch by the time you're finished reading.

Corrado Giacomel seems to have...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest renaissance lute

Another great instrument! No on can accuse you of not being productive.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest build: A renaissance cittern

Jo, I have to ask -- do you cut your amazing ornate soundhole patterns on a CNC, or by hand?

Beautiful work!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Equipment advice please

John, you could probably get a lot of what you needed from scrapping a couple of treadmills. I've had good luck doing that. A treadmill has machined rollers on axles with bearings, a drive system,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Equipment advice please

Here's pretty much everything you need to know about living with the Jet 16/32 (formerly Performax):

http://joewoodworker.com/performax.htm
Page 1 of 2 1 2