Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

Re: old vs new Gibsons, or 30's Martins vs modern ones, I'm not sure it's really fair to compare an instrument that's been played for 90 to 100 years with one that's fresh and new. A good mandolin or...
  2. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

When you get to the Eastman factory, please implore them to make WIDER NECKS!

Then buy a mandolin.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

I was skeptical too, but I dug up some youtube videos of their acoustic guitars and honestly in most cases I couldn't tell the difference between a CF guitar and wooden one. Granted these were...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Dwight Yoakam tune help “Solo”

Iconic song, I forgot there was a mando break in it.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Do instruments appreciate in value over time?

I think you mean inflation does NOT affect everything equally. True, point well taken. I was just stating the general idea that "I bought my instrument for X and sold it for Y" has to take inflation...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you like your armrests (aesthetically)

Hi all, I've been sort of cogitating on getting an armrest for my new Ratliff, and from reading this post and digging around it seems like these are the sources:

McClung = Hill Country / Doug...
  7. Re: What’s going on with low inventory of mandolins at shops?

I'm no expert in the economics or logistics of mandolin sales and distribution, but I wonder if it isn't more common these days, for those people buying a luthier built mandolin, to get it directly...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

Some of y'all are taking this waaayy too seriously. It's a fun video with snap opinions and some killer licks. It's not meant to be dispositive or authoritative any more than the local newspaper's...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to buy used?

There's an early 2000's Weber Beartooth and a 90's Flatiron A on the cafe now at what I think are very good prices, given that sticker price is not always selling price.

If I was looking for a...
  10. Re: Preview of the Northfield feature article coming Tuesday

Oh, oh, I was just thinking, "I want a mandola," and then this pops up. Well, I can't even think about it till the garage renovations are paid off, but still, yay for Northfield.

Also, is the...
  11. Thread: Hudson Valley NY

by rnjl
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hudson Valley NY

Hey folks as long as we're talking about the Hudson Valley, Bard College just released its summer concert schedule:

https://fishercenter.bard.edu/whats-on/calendar/

Upcoming shows that feature...
  12. Thread: Mighty Poplar

by rnjl
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mighty Poplar

Isn't that kind of a low bar to clear?
  13. Thread: Mighty Poplar

by rnjl
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mighty Poplar

It's a great album, with songs from interesting sources (including L. Cohen and Dylan) that sound really organic to the group.

Also, can we just agree that Mighty Poplar is the best riff ever off...
  14. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

Hi all, first, to the OP, you may want to check out Audey Ratliff's production diaries on Youtube to get a sense of the attention to detail and many considerations that go into making a mandolin....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

Hi Ranald, you know, I've heard of that book, I'll have to get to it sometime. I certainly didn't mean to imply that all blues musicians were like Yank, or that he had any judgment of other musicians...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

OK it's time to tell my Yank Rachell story again. Way back in the 80's I helped run the University of Chicago Folk Festival as a student and one year we had Yank Rachell come up from St Louis. I got...
  17. Re: seeking large rounded picks, bigger than Golden Gate

Eric this is so helpful. Thank you very much.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

No mandolin content but short history digression. In Eastern Europe through the Soviet period, Jews were not considered "Russian" or "Ukrainian" but a separate nationality, like "Chechen" or "Tatar."...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Holding on to your personal Holy Grail mandolin

I have bought and sold oodles of mandolins since the mid-80's but keept one since 1987, an 83 Flatiron A5-1. A famous player told me in the late 80's, "never sell this," as did another less famous...
  20. Replies
    Views

NMC: article about man who restores Stradivarii

No Mandolin content but I thought this was interesting and relevant:

https://www.chicagomag.com/chicago-magazine/january-2023/the-violin-doctor/

High-end violin restorer who works on...
  21. Re: I've owned an A-style for 72 hours and already hate the shape

Here's a video of two guys playing mandolins. The one with the F model uses a strap and the one playing the A model doesn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTxol40qYmI

PS- a year or so...
  22. Thread: Pro Monte Players

by rnjl
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pro Monte Players

Lou Martin, who used to play with Country Cooking and release a great album of mandolin music, had a Montelone. He also wrote and composed mando music and taught up in Albany area I think?

Not...
  23. Re: Lost in my search of a mandolin for classical music

Lots of people play old Gibson A's for classical - I mean, they were literally invented for mandolin orchestras and ensembles, right?

I'm not saying they're the best but an older oval Gibson or a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Bourgeois M5A Mandolin

David, I think the phrase you're looking for is "that ain't no part of nothin'."

But Bill was just translating Kohelet: גַּם־זֶ֥ה הֶ֖בֶל וּרְע֥וּת רֽוּחַ׃
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Cricket Fiddle mandolins?

Can I just add that on this forum the sentence Later on I decided I needed a 10 string mandocello. doesn't raise an eyebrow at all but would be utterly incomprehensible to everybody else on the...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3