Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

New Neil Young Documentary Tomorrow Only

Just found out about this. A never before released two hour film from 1971 focusing on the recording of the Harvest album. Web says it was filmed at his N Cal ranch studio, plus has footage from...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Trip to Kentucky, is Rosine worth a visit?

John Hamlett, thanks for the heads up on pronunciation. I'm originally from Texas, and spoken French place names wouldn't be recognizable to a frenchman there either!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Aereoplane Bush and Douglas Live

Here's another, in the same vein, from 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-makSxKiJ0&list=RD8-makSxKiJ0&start_radio=1
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gift Suggestions

OP here. Thanks for the helpful and thoughtful replies. I have been a Cafe' habitue' for a long time, and would usually visit many times throughout the day to keep up with the classifieds and the...
  5. Re: Great quote about instruments from Gordon Lightfoot

At a festival in Colorado several years ago Peter Rowan was playing a guitar that looked brand new. He was tuning more often than usual, and after awhile he said "This guitar thinks it's still a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Cool Stuff to Watch When not Playing

"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" is great. Also "Pulse", a video of a live performance by Pink Floyd from 1994 is a stunning experience, unless that kind of music doesn't appeal to you. If it...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Advice on Selling/Upgrading Mandolin

I've kind of been down this road before, here are my thoughts, FWIW.

We're probably looking at some serious economic downside, which could last for years. Some will be affected much more than...
  8. Thread: Musician quotes

by rfloyd
    Replies
    Views

Re: Musician quotes

I heard Tim O'Brien say, onstage as he announced a song: "Old time music - it's better than it sounds!". Someone told me that was said by someone else about Wagner.

I saw Peter Rowan 10-15 years...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Need mando advice

Google Mike Black, his A's look and sound great to me, and should be similar in price to others you've listed.
  10. Replies
    Views

Funny Banjo Content

Don't know if someone has posted this already, but I couldn't resist....

In case it's hard to read caption says "That's it. The cat has to go."
  11. Thread: Bills Pick

by rfloyd
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bills Pick

The way I remember reading this story was that someone gave him a rather outlandish looking pick as a joke - purple, over-sized, maybe with some rock band's name on it. Bill still had it when he was...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Advice on Selling a Mandolin

Don,

You're wrong in your statement that I had made up my mind. I read the seven posts in answer to my question and gave it a good bit of thought before placing the ad. Also, did you take into...
  13. Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival is streaming now

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival is streaming live from Golden Gate Park in San Francisco - audio AND video. Started at noon Pacific time today. Go to hardlystrictlybluegrass.com and follow the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Used Instrument Pricing

OP here. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my question. I'm using the term "street price" as the price one pays to a dealer (online or brick and mortar) for a new instrument after they apply the "usual...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: String Swing Wall Hangers

I've used them for 20 years, with drywall anchors. I usually had 6-8 guitars and mandolins hanging at any one time, including several Telecasters, Strats and 335's. I would not hesitate to use them...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Henry: Mandolinist and Monroe Stylist

I, too, was blown away by the video in this post. Until now I haven't been aware of Chris Henry. Other than Facebook and YouTube, where can one hear more? Has he put out any CDs, individually or...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Next step after an Eastman 315

The Acoustic Music Co in Brighton, on the south coast of England, seems fairly close to you. They are a Cafe sponsor, and I believe the proprietor is a frequent poster who seems very knowledgeable. ...
  18. Replies
    Views

Best Banjo joke I've heard in a while

"What's your favorite pickup to put on a banjo?"

"F-150"

Festival season's comin' up - anybody got any new ones?
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Stage Banter

Sam Bush, on day 1, 2 or 3 - "How many of you have been at the festival all four days?"
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Stage Banter

My favorites are:

1. Everything Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers say. The latest I heard from them, while introducing the band members...."He was born in Filth, but he was raised in Squalor".
  21. Thread: Kentucky KM272

by rfloyd
    Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM272

I have the KM-172, about 15 months old, and really like it. I have had three other Kentucky models over the years, and have been satisfied with them all.

I would talk to Robert from...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin for Dummies, etc

BTW, the cost to have it spiral bound at Office Depot is quite low, and makes the books much more usable. Well under $10, IIRC.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Red MC Hat and A-Style Sticker Appreciation

I got my first cap today, too, and was about to post the same email. Top quality cap, fast delivery, and two stickers I didn't expect but am glad I got!
  24. Re: Just fell in love with Country music: Looking for reccomendat

I realize that you asked about CURRENT country artists, and I don't listen to current country radio, so I can't answer. I grew up listening to country music radio in the '50's and '60's. Here are a...
  25. Thread: Case comparison

by rfloyd
    Replies
    Views

Re: Case comparison

+1 on tnranger's comment. I have a Collings MT, and the TKL it came in seems very adequate. Seems a bit heavier duty than other TKL or TKL-type cases.

Unless you will be doing some hard...
Page 1 of 2 1 2