Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Songs that need BG covers.

Here's a lovely 3/4 tune out of the Kate and Anna McGarrigle factory. This one concerns the whistful owners of a farm that economics has moved on from. Ignore the recited first verse from Rufus...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Farewell To Whiskey origin questions

I've found Andrew Kuntz's Fiddler's Companion the most reliable (although not the most easy to use) source for questions of this nature. Here's what he has indexed under this title:

Earliest...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Whiskey in the Jar origin

I'd think it's very likely 18th century, or earlier. The reference to pistols that have to be "charged" means that they're quite clearly flintlock pistols, which were becoming obsolete by the early...
  4. Thread: G string blues

by s1m0n
    Replies
    Views

Re: G string blues

I've found that most perplexing musical connundra of this nature go away on their own if you continue to practice while being mindful of the tone you're producing. Your hand will sort out what to do,...
  5. Re: Stolen 10 years ago, on craigslist today - what can I do?

He's owned it for 12 years and still doesn't know what it is?
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Scientific proof for an instrument "opening up"?

Clear your cookies to reset the clock.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: More options coming...

To say nothing of the fact that a large majority of the mandolins discussed on this forum are Gibson A and F model copies.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Virtues of lower tuning

I have what's likely the cheap version of your Regal tg - same shape & materials, but a plain tobacco coloured paint job. I also tried to convert it to OM (gdae) tuning, and found the neck warping....
  9. Re: Tips for getting back in shape efficiently and safely

Spoken like a true economist.
  10. Thread: tempo sensor

by s1m0n
    Replies
    Views

Re: tempo sensor

Ideally, it should display a graph so you could see how you did after the fact, as well as in real time.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Diagnosis nasty sustain in vintage TB

Thank you. The action is far from low, and the noise is certainly coming from the pot end, not the headstock. I can hear that much. I'll try the strings and the head next week when I'm back to...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Leonard Cohen

I've spent the last few days listening intensely to his last two albums, Popular Problems and You Want it Darker. In fact, I spent about 36 hours replaying a playlist consisting of the last trax on...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on where to spend time in practice.

I hesitate to offer advice because we're both at about the same level, but I do have a background as an Irish wind player, and I can't help noting that your triplets are about as inorganic as I've...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The story behind Ashokan Farewell

It's worth pointing out that copyright, as a concept, is both arbitrary and artificial. There are many laws on the books that are what legal historians call "natural" law. That is, that many, indeed...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Literature Prize

The academy concedes that they knew Dylan doesn't like awards and hates being put on the spot, but decided to name him anyway, without his consent. Now they're calling him "arrogant" for ignoring...
  16. Replies
    Views

Al Capone, TG, TB & Mandola player

Here's a passage from a recent article on the Smithsonian website
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What song is that?

Why not ask him? It's been many years since the far-off days of CITTERN-L, but he seemed pretty approachable then.

http://www.josephsobol.com/contact
  18. Thread: The Beatles

by s1m0n
    Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles

And if he had, it definitely would not be Ebony & Ivory, his bathetic duet with Stevie Wonder. It's a song that always makes me want to howl like a basset hound.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Post on Old Time Music

Good luck*. That's a fairer response than I was expecting, and likely fairer than my (bitchy) post deserved.

*And by 'good luck' I mean 'best wishes', not anything sarcastic.
  20. Replies
    Views

Absolutely. It's supposed to be unobtrusive unless you want to pay attention to it. Darker colours took up too much visual space.
  21. Replies
    Views

I'd read it, but the self-indulgent website design at tresbear.com jams all the actual content into 40% (or less) of my desktop, and frankly, I don't need the eyestrain.
  22. Thread: A style tuners.

by s1m0n
    Replies
    Views

Re: A style tuners.

Mike, I've noticed how many 'obscure mandolin question' threads you post to, and how often your entirely obscure historical mandolin knowledge settles the question. Way to go! And thank you.

I'd...
  23. Thread: New website

by s1m0n
    Replies
    Views

Re: New website

It's a good site, Graham, although there are plenty of good sites. What I want to praise you for, however, is the effort you have put into publishing systematic info about mandocritter luthiery....
  24. Re: Jordan Ramsey wins the mandolin competition at Winfield!

Absolutely. Three cheers for the makers!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Finishing, finishing and more finishing

The short answer is that this is meant to be funny, and has no meaning you need to decode.

"Hang on" is an english expression meaning "wait", or in this case questioning (or at least drawing...
Page 1 of 2 1 2