Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Reduce costs pleased

Don’t assume that companies sit back and just decide they want more money for their product. Costs of doing business increase over time, be they raw materials, rent, wages, taxes, marketing costs or...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

42 people have been tested so far in Maine, with five outstanding results still out there. I have seen a lot of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey and other plates the last few days as people...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Reduce costs pleased

If the price of mandolins is what the economy hinges on, we're in big trouble. :))

In seriousness, I think there are going to be more instruments being offered up for sale on the used market...
  4. Replies
    Views

They not only cancelled St Patrick's day, they also closed every school and college, banned all mass gatherings and basically put the country on lockdown for at least 2 weeks. Excellent choices from...
  5. Replies
    Views

Several local music events have been cancelled, at least for the time being.

Better to close the barn door before the horses escape.
  6. Replies
    Views

New England Folk Festival (NEFFA), which has been held for more than 75 consecutive years, is canceled; it was scheduled Apr. 24-26. I was booked for a couple workshops there, as I have been for 23...
  7. Replies
    Views

The flu is manageable as there are vaccines, medications, and some built up immunity in strong, healthy individuals. Corona is like the flu 100 years ago - unknown impact and duration and until they...
  8. Re: Do You Play ALL of Your Mandolins Regularly?

I know it sounds like voodoo but I think there’s something to it. Wood is organic. It breathes. It absorbs moisture and dries out. It flexes from the sound pressure and other forces incurred during...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Any new pedals for multi-instrumentalists?

I just purchased the ToneDexter, and so far I'm really, really pleased. I've tired several pickups and three or four preamps, and nothing comes close. It has the capacity for 22 different wavemaps,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Your Thoughts On D'Addario XT Strings

send me some & I can form an opinion.. :whistling:

:popcorn:
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Red spruce versus Engleman (MT/MT2)

Red spruce on an MT2 oval will give you more volume. The tone will be more fundamental sounding, and more direct. Somewhere in between is Italian spruce, which is my personal preference on an MT2...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Right Hand Technique

Look at Jill’s right hand technique in the songs these.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/143019-2019-Tune-A-Week-Project
  13. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

That's probably because Gibson doesn't make banjos anymore, and consequently banjo builders aren't in (as much) danger of being sued anytime soon.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap Locks

I use two techniques to deal with this...
    I put my strap on the button wet and let the leather shrink back to fit tight on the tiny shoulder of the end pin jack.
    I religiously use the StrapJack...
  15. Re: Slight frustration when changing mandolin strings

Yes, there's a whole lot to be said for the James tailpiece design over the Allen/Monteleone cast tailpieces, and also over the Weber cast tailpieces. No strings ever have to be fished through holes,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Man I need a good tuner...

I have both the older (silver) and newer (black) versions. I don't notice any real difference in accuracy or ability to pick up the sound in a noisy environment between the two. The advantage of the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Man I need a good tuner...

I had the older Stroboclip, but it died on me a couple of years ago, so it's difficult for me to compare performance with my current Stroboclip HD. My feeling is that the new version works better...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap button on neck?

I've had 3 or 4 A-style mandolins with this placement of button. No problem at all. The button seems to fall into the hollow of my fingers, but not actually bumping into the fingers significantly....
  19. Re: Slight frustration when changing mandolin strings

Doug
    I work medical and we keep unused new hemostats that come in kits we use. Send me a mail address and I'll drop you some in the mail. As another post mentioned, they are excellent if you need...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: So...I'm stuck....dang MAS...

You have fallen into the common habit of acquiring multiple relatively inexpensive mandolins. Stop doing this. I know, it's easier to save up five hundred and go buy another mandolin, but IMHO, you...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

While it doesn't reach the level of scientific evidence, go watch Jill's tune a week thread. First video is the mandolin at brand new. We will eventually have 52 consecutive videos one week apart to...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Do people ever change their strings?

Another factor, when playing in a band.......

On tour, we would be out for two months playing almost every night. I never changed strings unless I broke one, then I only changed the string I...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Do people ever change their strings?

If I were to win the lottery, I would hire someone to manage my mandolins. Keep them set up, change the strings, keep them tuned. Because that would free me up to play them.

I don't like changing...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Web based backing track tool?

I put up backing tracks on BBT Backing Tracks channel on YT. If you find a mistake or need a track not listed send me the chord chart..
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Web based backing track tool?

There is this one that is free and ok for practicing:
    http://www.fbbts.com/Tunes.html
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4